MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever managed to get through to the Mini insurance line ? I've tried for the last 2 days, it appears that there must just be one phone at their end, as after 30 minutes of waiting I start to get very bored.

I know the quote probably going to be expensive, but its the only place that will quote for a Works Cooper S.

As I type this I've now been on hold for over 15 minutes.

getting very impatient

Michael:mad:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Managed to get through quite easily - it was all going really well until I mentioned the 17 inch S-spokes -
long pause....discussion with supervisor...............
and then "I'm afraid we can't insure you because your car has low profile tyres"! Be warned.....and then try elephant.co.uk:) :)

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
If you're having trouble with MINI, ring Direct Line instead - they're part of the same company (even in the same building in Leeds) and they seem to relish in the challenge of beating their colleagues quotes.

My original 'best' quote after shopping around was with Direct Line (albeit for a 'standard' ONE), and MINI Insurance beat their quote by about £50 (despite giving me a quote a few months earlier that was several time their eventual quote)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it just me, or does it seem slightly bizzar that MINI insurance - as in, the company that is advertised as insuring the new MINIs - will only insure some of the cars??

Maybe it should be renamed to "Standard MINI Insurance" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like someone didn't think things through all the way to me...

·
Registered
330 Posts
Elephant.co.uk

I see people recommending this outfit but I have doubts.

There is some debate as to what constitutes 'modification' (that I do NOT want to restart here). When I tried to obtain an online quote with elephant I selected yes when asked if the car was modified. It then presents options allowing you to tell them what has been modified. One of these options was 'Factory fitted optional alloys'. I said yes to those but nothing else. Literally nothing else. It refused to quote a price for the Cooper with this modification.

Going back and saying no to modifications it came back with one of the lowest prices (but sh*te cover) I found.

There are a lot of cars out there with factory fitted optional alloys. I reckon elephant think anything other than the steel wheels (on the One) and mini-lites (on the Cooper) is a modification. It might take a claim from somebody insured via them, and an argument, to get them to modify their opinion. But at 75p/minute to talk to them on the phone, I won't be the one arguing......

·
Registered
573 Posts
I checked out Admiral's online quote today,

They had the same interface as elephant, and guess what...

the same quote to the penny.

seems very strange to me

·
Moderator & Sponsor
358 Posts
ant said:
Is it just me, or does it seem slightly bizzar that MINI insurance - as in, the company that is advertised as insuring the new MINIs - will only insure some of the cars??

Maybe it should be renamed to "Standard MINI Insurance" :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sounds like someone didn't think things through all the way to me...
I have a friend who tests the software for Green Flag/MINI/Direct Line and as you might guess they did the modifications to their software to include the MINI pretty close to the launch date. No doubt the same is going to happen for the S, and there'll be teething problems with the rest of the software as they try to get it all working smoothly..

As for the Elephant wierdness, it sounds like many other system quirks that I've heard of when you try to put tables on top of tables within a database system..

I'd better go now before I bore you all to death...;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
An_S_4_Me said:
I checked out Admiral's online quote today,

They had the same interface as elephant, and guess what...

the same quote to the penny.

seems very strange to me
It's 'cos they're just different trading names for the same insurer: Admiral Motor Policies at Lloyd's.

·
Enjoying Married Life!
501 Posts
I had all sorts of problems with MINICover when first insuring my MINI ONE. Basically, to cut a long story short, they trebled the value of my monthly direct debit for no reason and with no notification. Didn't notice until the third payment had gone, rang them, will call me back, didn't!, rang again, will call me back, didn't... you get the idea. In the end, I cancelled my direct debit at the bank and then they finally contacted me to hear me cancel.

My advice is try the aa.
http//the-aa.co.uk

They were three hundred quid cheaper than MINIcover, didn't mind about my 17" aftermarket alloys or my previous speeding ban.

(I don't work for the AA by the way)

nc

·
Registered
334 Posts
If you've got a Chili pack, don't bother with Hastings Direct. thought I'd scored a winner with a quote for £330 and was about to sign on the dotted line so to speak, when I decided to ask for clarification about "No modifications".

Originally I was told that if it rolls of the production line that way its not a modification, but I thought the premium was too good to be true. Glad I checked because they decided to refer back to the underwriter who decided that the Chili Pack was, in their view, a modificaiton after all. That one extra phonecall will now cost me at least £200, but ensure that I'm not screwed over big time in the event of an insurance claim in the next 12 months!

Halifax are very clear that Chili isn't a modification, and I think Direct Line have a separate entry on their system now for the chili pack - costs an extra £50 or so

kjs

1 - 10 of 10 Posts