MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have posted these in the JCW Forum accross several posts. Thought it best though to put the links together.

The JCW Mini has been reviewed by a few magazines as a First Drive. Here are the ones who have published articles on the web so far:

Autocar: Mini John Cooper Works - Road Test First Drive - Autocar.co.uk

Car Magazine: Mini John Cooper Works CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online

4Car: Mini John Cooper Works (200:cool: | Car Review | Road Test | 4car | Channel 4

Drivers Republic: DRIVERS-REPUBLIC.COM - Drivers Republic is a digital publication containing a website and digital magazine with videos, in-depth features and the most imaginative driving stories..

Most reviews are average, speaking of torque steer aplenty, and the new EDLC not being up to the job on B-roads, away from the track. Sounds like a fun car though, if not the most sorted in the class - maybe how a hot hatch should be?

"Car Keys" have an interesting take on the torque steer issue on p2 of this: MINI John Cooper Works | Road Tests, Auto Features

Auto Express: MINI Cooper | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express
best verdict yet, though its not exactly an in depth review.

Top Gear: Mini John Cooper Works - Top Gear

Pistonheads: MINI John Cooper Works

Theres now a more in depth auto express review: Mini John Cooper Works | Car Group Tests | Car Reviews | Auto Express

·
Waiting for Works Clubman
338 Posts
"Car Keys" have an interesting take on the torque steer issue on p2 of this: MINI John Cooper Works | Road Tests, Auto Features
They also say this:
"the Clubman won't be sold here until early 2009 because the extra body styling parts aren't ready for it, and MINI's customer research made it very clear that UK customers won't be interested until they are"

The first part of that sentence is completely accurate; the second part of that sentence is undoubtedly what the MINI PR person told them, and is total ballcocks. They jolly well know that there are UK customers who want the Clubman *right now* (and taunting us with comments in the press about the JCW Clubman is doing nothing to help the situation), and MINI tacitly acknowledge that the body styling parts aren't that important because they can be deleted from the order at the customer's option!

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In next weeks Autocar: " Mini JCW vs Lotus Elise. Which would you rather have for 22k?"

Should be interesting?!

·
338 Posts
Erm, no.

If I didn't *have* to have 4 seats, there's no question at all about which of those two I would buy. In fact, I can't think of a better way to spend 22k on a car than on one of those two - it's just that the MINI would come second in that particular competition if I had a free choice.

·
Loving his JCW!!!
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In next weeks Autocar: " Mini JCW vs Lotus Elise. Which would you rather have for 22k?"

Should be interesting?!
That Autocar is now out, and to be honest its a pretty damning review of the mini, concluding that you'd be better off buying cooper s and saving 5 grand! Oh dear :(

·
338 Posts
Which goes to show what journalists know these days - they're so used to having all their information spoonfed to them in press releases, they've stopped using their brains.

The JCW isn't really five grand more than an S - it's about two grand more than an S *specced to the same level of optional equipment*.

Having driven both an R56 S and an R56 JCW, I'd say that the JCW is *definately* worth the extra.

Which magazine/car review site was it that reckoned the MINI JCW was a more sensible purchase - and no less fun - than a bevy of supercars recently?

·
FS58MBW
69 Posts
I think that is an awful review. The car may not be perfect but it ain't as bad as this guy makes out. He says this car isn't exciting to drive - that's exactly what every other reviewer says it IS!!
Agreed! I posted a response to the article today following what I understand to be yours Rogan? Those of us who have one on order might be accused (wrongly) of rationalising our decision, but though we are of course MINI biased we would not throw money around without belief that what we are buying has value. Yes, it is expensive, but it is everything a MINI should be and more! Still happy at spending £25k :)

·
24hr
248 Posts
Performance Car,

Have reviewed the JCW in quite a decent article and give it a good write up. There's a nice comparison piece with a mint 1968 Mk2 Cooper S also ! It came out today so should be in most shops now ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts