MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My mini key fob is not charging the keys, and I now have to open the door manually. The first key stopped working, so I started using the my spare, but now that one isn't working either!

I am assuming that it is induction charger isn't working, as I once managed to give a little bit of life to a key by using the innards from an old toothbrush charger to charge it - lol! (didn't last long :( )

I tried the reset procedure (hold unlock, press lock 3 times etc...) but no luck there.

I have an August 2004 cooper, (facelift model), and I have checked fuses in passenger footwell and in bonnet, but they seem ok. I'm trying to avoid the dealership if possible (don't think you'll blame me for it either!) so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks!!

:D

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hmmmmmm.... I thought the R50 (pre- and post- facelift) both used batteries (non-rechargable lithium). Try splitting the key open GENTLY lol don't want to take liability for broken keys here. They usually open up pretty smoothly.

The later R56 MINIs have the weird circular fobs. Hehe I thought mine was broken till I worked out they'd pulled the central locking fuse and removed the actuators and door locks. No wonder it wouldn't lock. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

My mini key fob is not charging the keys, and I now have to open the door manually. The first key stopped working, so I started using the my spare, but now that one isn't working either!

I am assuming that it is induction charger isn't working, as I once managed to give a little bit of life to a key by using the innards from an old toothbrush charger to charge it - lol! (didn't last long :( )

I tried the reset procedure (hold unlock, press lock 3 times etc...) but no luck there.

I have an August 2004 cooper, (facelift model), and I have checked fuses in passenger footwell and in bonnet, but they seem ok. I'm trying to avoid the dealership if possible (don't think you'll blame me for it either!) so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Many thanks!!

:D
i have a similar problem, my key does not open the car remotely, so i use the blade. when i put in hole and drive for five minutes, my key charges the battery, and so, i can use agai my remote, i opne, i close many times... but after 10 minutes its dead again...

·
Registered
R52 manual.
27 Posts
Interesting. One of our keys works remotely, the other does not. If the car is locked with the remote one and then the one that doesn’t work remotely is used to open the car, the alarm goes off. Schoolboy error I know, sorry should have said schoolperson.

If the key does charge when driving, how long and often does this need to be. Or is there any battery that can be changed in the key.

Thanks for looking.

Tommo.

·
Registered
R52 manual.
27 Posts
Took part in the London to Brighton run at the weekend. Used the key that doesn’t work remotely. Just over a hundred miles there and a hundred and twenty two back home again. Took a different route on the way back. The key did not recharge.

Any advice will be welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Tommo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts