MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MINI's launch was discussed in the Wall Street Journal today. Full text posted at http://www.mini2.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4586.

Some interesting facts:
* US advert budget is $20M (this is less than the ad budget for some new movies!)
* Sounds like there will be little or no TV ads...

MINI is coming... :)

Jason

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Colorado "S" said:
Why advertise when there is a 1-2 year wait list is a lot of cities already. Makes sense.
I don't buy the claim by dealers that the MINI is sold out for a year or more. I think the issue is simply enthusiasts getting their name on lists at multiple dealers (I am guilty of this myself).

Also, I think most of the waiting lists are for Cooper S rather than Cooper (some dealer lists do not even differentiate between the two).

I just found it odd that they'd spend what it cost to launch a new movie to go and launch a whole new car brand...

Oh well... Guess we'll be some of the only ones "in the know" so to speak. ;-)

I like the countdown -- feels like a space shuttle launch countdown!

Jason

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
jlivingood said:
I don't buy the claim by dealers that the MINI is sold out for a year or more. I think the issue is simply enthusiasts getting their name on lists at multiple dealers (I am guilty of this myself)....
I agree with Jason. I was talking with my dealer earlier this week about my upcoming S order. He said that if someone was added to their standard Cooper (not S) list right then, they would proably have a car by mid-summer.

Sounds good for those people that are just deciding now that they want a standard Cooper.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From GlobalAutoNet.com:

BMW/MINI

Ad campaign for this month's U.S. launch is small but memorable, like the car; it involves billboards and traveling the country to show off Minis perched atop Ford Excursions.

With the new Mini set to hit the U.S. market on March 22, BMW has signed off on a low-budget, unusual advertising strategy. At a cost of about $20 million, the company aims to inform the 98 percent of U.S. consumers who have no idea what a Mini is. A Miami advertising agency has come up with a plan that includes billboards, one-inch print ads that will run in the margins of magazines, and a driving ad campaign to twenty-four cities that perches Minis atop Ford Excursions and drives them around the country. Curious passers-by are given cards that bear the Mini's Web site address. The Mini will be sold in forty-five U.S. locations; the company hopes to find 20,000 buyers in its first full year here.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Anybody else do the numbers on this? $20 million ad campaign with 20k cars coming in.

That's only $100 per car in advertising. Sounds quite the bargain to me, at least for the first year.

My dealership allready has about 90 people on their "list" at $1k a pop, or $90,000. Assuming they invested that money in the same mutual funds that I did, they made about 10% on the investment in a year or $9000 without ever selling anything or paying ANYTHING in advertising.

I am in the wrong buisness.

·
Retired and relaxed
2104 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i
5,372 Posts
I agree that the current dealer lists are "enthusiasts"....perhaps better stated as "manics" or "maniacs" and once we get our cars there will be plenty of MINI Coopers on the lots.
I'm afraid that many folks will come off the street and buy a MINI Cooper and be driving it long before I'm driving my S that I've had a deposit on for 8 long months and who knows for how many more. Sort of frustrating isn't it? Sort of wish no one else knew about the MINI except us! Less advertising is better for those of us who need our cars so desperately!

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Cape Cod MINI said:
I agree that the current dealer lists are "enthusiasts"....perhaps better stated as "manics" or "maniacs" and once we get our cars there will be plenty of MINI Coopers on the lots.
I'm afraid that many folks will come off the street and buy a MINI Cooper and be driving it long before I'm driving my S that I've had a deposit on for 8 long months and who knows for how many more. Sort of frustrating isn't it? Sort of wish no one else knew about the MINI except us! Less advertising is better for those of us who need our cars so desperately!
Indeed, my dealer (Keeler, Latham NY) mentioned today that thier list is currently running 70% S/30% Cooper, and that if I wanted a Cooper instead of an S, "chances are that you could drive out with a regular Cooper by the end of March."

C'est la vie...

FYI, he also mentioned "March 22, 2002 is the opening day at Keeler for MINI, on that day or around that time frame, feel free to stop in for a test drive of the Cooper S." Just might have to do that...

-Ricardo

·
Registered
31 Posts
Doin the numbers

Anybody else do the numbers on this? $20 million ad campaign with 20k cars coming in.

That's only $100 per car in advertising.

I did the numbers....that's $1000 per car...:eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Doin' some other numbers

Replying to MGB Boy:

My dealer expressed similar figures for Cooper/Cooper S interest among depositors. I'm #84 on a combined list at Hank Aaron BMW in Atlanta, but if his estimated 80% of the depositors are holding out for an S, that means I could be as high as #17 if I go for the Cooper.
He also told me that when my number comes up, I could go for the Cooper, leave my deposit in for an S, and he'd call me in a year or so to spec that car out when my number comes up again.

Anybody else thinking of doing this?

Personally, I can live with a Cooper for a year, even two, and a pre-specced one at that, if I'll be one of the first in the area to have a MINI. Then I just trade up later on. Sounds like a deal to me.;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
My guess is that MINI decided to let the (us):eek: mainiacs do a good portion of the advertising for them. With 20k cars a year,a good portion of them will be gone without spending a dime.If someone wants a Cooper they can probably get one fairly soon whilst us die hard miniacs will patiently :eek: (painfully) wait for what we really want. In a couple of years they may have to pump in a little more money to teach everyone else about the pleasure they have been missing out on for so long. I don't care if I have the first one on the block as long as I get the one I want, I'll still be :D :D :D

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
mad hatter said:
My guess is that MINI decided to let the (us):eek: mainiacs do a good portion of the advertising for them....
I'm certainly doing my part. :p Everyone in my family, my extended family, everyone at my work, all my neighbors, and virtually anyone who knows me knows about classic Minis and now the new MINIs. :p Once my Cooper S arrives, it is only going to get worse. :D :D :D :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts