MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys..

Got my first mini a few weeks ago. Managed to grab a 54 reg (2005) black mini one (although its slightly blueish on near inspection so dont know whether this still counts as astra black :confused: )

Anyways, as any young driver does with a new motor, ive already come up with a list of new and exciting mods that i want to put on it..

First of which is to change the fog/sidelights to Xenon..

I chose not to do the actual headlights as they cost around 600 quid (well the ones ive seen anyways)..

I came across the following picture on the forum.. and fell in love with xenon lights on the front bumper. Just wondering how you make the light in a O shape.. rather than just have a full circular light.

Hope that makes sense lol..

And also, could any of you possible point me in the right direction on how to buy these xenon lights for the mini.. ive gone onto ebay but all they have are xenon conversion kits.. Dont know whether or not thats what i need.. and if it is i dont have a clue how to fit one so all comments are welcome..

Just want the front to look "buff" at night ;)

/Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahh thank you very much laura :)

I didnt want to buy any of the cooper s bumpers and the black boot spoiler fin as i was unsure whether or not it would be a different black to my car (which would look eurgh)

And thanks for the info on lights, will have a looksie now:)

/Tom

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
You'll have to be careful of the black roof spoiler as this can come in a solid black - the cooper/cooper S option of having the black roof uses a flat black not your Astro Black so make sure the colour is correct! Just for your information.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
also, sorry to be really annoying xD..

On that site, theres a long list of which indicators you can choose. I deffo want the 4 xenon looking LED but im unsure on the indicator type.. surely aslong as it lights up orange then thats ok?

Obviously i want to save money.. but i dont want to be pulled over for illegal indicator types:p

Just curious on what the difference is between the different types? and whether or not the Halo sidelights 4 xenon look led (use existing indicators) £55.00 (£64.63 inc. VAT) will be perfectly ok?

/Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay so when it comes to the spoiler.. im better of going to the mini garage and paying the 195 odd quid rather than a cheaper ebay version... so that i get the right colour co-ordination?

/Tom

·
Registered
398 Posts
hi, the different types of bulbs change the look of the indicator, an orange bulb gives you what many people refer to as the 'fried egg' look

to get around this many people, including me get bulbs with a chrome coating, they light up amber but when theyre not lit they blend in with the lamp housing

the other type you can get (diadem) has a blue coating which looks good in some applications

Personally i'd say go for either the silvervision or diadem bulbs, there are plenty of examples of both on the forum

As for the spoiler, you could look out for an astro black one on ebay but solid black is more common, you could also consider getting one in the wrong colour and get a body shop to spray it for you. Make sure you get a genuine mini one, there are a few replica ones on ebay somtimes that won't fit as well

Richard

·
Registered
298 Posts
for any genuine/new parts u need, dont go to your dealer, go to woodmans, you'll get 10% discount automatically as being part of the mini2 forum,

i did for my aero kit + spoiler and saved myself a fair bit!

·
Registered
298 Posts
i have those halo sidlights btw, i love them, also this has the aero kit and aer spoiler on as i saw u mentioned in ryans thread which i got from woodmans and fitted myself with some mates, and also chrome indicator bulbs which flash orange, but appear silver so they dont stand out during the day

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ahh sweet:D where did u get ur halo lights from may i ask?

the car looks sweet btw :D

Im thinking about getting those white rear lights on my car.. but my cars black so wondering whether itll look good or not atm :s

Still a little confused on the indicator bulbs.. so the indicator is in the center of the sidelights? (ive never stood infront of the car to check so dont know where it is :p ) i just thought they were on the side of the car..

·
Registered
398 Posts
yep, the indicators and side lights share the same housing, the indicator is a bigger bulb and sits in the middle, the sidelight is a smaller bulb next to it

·
Registered
237 Posts
i have the halo lights to, waaay better, and as specky001 mentioned, the chome indicator bulbs are a must have.
good thing as well was the lights are a direct replacement, just un plug and unscrew the old n fit in halos n plug them in, you dont even need to take the bumper off :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sweet :D:D

May i ask where you guys bought them from? just so i can price up and find out how to get hold of a set ;)

/Tom

(btw all these comments are greatly appreciated)

·
Registered
298 Posts
ah mikey beat me to it, but they 're the ones i was on about in the msg i sent you Tommy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts