MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone explain to me why whenever I go to the supermarket and park my MOC on the far side of the car park where there are no other cars, that when I get back someone has always parked right next to my car yet all the other spaces around are still empty - very annoying, does anyone else have this problem?

·
'MINI' or 'MAXI'??!
392 Posts
yep!
happens to us too! very annoying!

.... the best thing is to park in the middle of 2 spaces so that if someone parks next to you they will park further away (provided they park in the next propper space!)

but yeah i think people are simply drawn to the car and feel a need to park right next to it!.... i always examine our car before pulling away JUST INCASE! (i hate carpark dints!)

:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep I have the same problem. Sometimes its not so bad when a Porsche or Merc parks alongside, probably also trying to keep away from the idiots that cannot park or respect other peoples cars. But my heart leaps into my mouth if as I walk back to my MCS there is an old Ford or Nissan parked next to it.

Someone should make a film about it, more scary than 'Jaws'.

Its about time BMW and Mini developed 'external air bags for the doors and side panels'. Or maybe we could install micro CAM's to record all adjacent parking manouvres. Better still, the supermarkets could increase the size of their parking bays.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I generally try to find a parking space next to the edge curb and park with the wheels about 3" away, that gives anyone who wants to park next to me more space. Or as has been suggested, use two bays. Or park next to an equally new car !
Parking by yourself out in the middle of the car park does seem to attract other cars like a magnet. (By the way I have a Cooper hatch at the moment), are things going to get worse when I get my cabrio' when it's delivered - next March ! ! ! :confused:

G

·
Oh yes - always happens.

Have to say that the young mum's (apologies for being sexist but this is my own experience) in their big 4x4's are the worst for handing out dings to the bodywork. I've been sat in the car and seen them fling the door open straight into the side of someone elses car and just carry on as though nothings happened.

Absolutely no consideration whatsoever...Only saving grace is that they invariably park as close as is physically possible to the supermarket entrance, and hence can be avoided be parking at the back of the carpark.

I await the female forum members wrath - but they are obviously a different breed entirely as they drive a MINI and not a hulking great mechanical mamoth for no good reason.

Rant over.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes, happens to me too. Infact, my nice shiny new Mini Convertible has a large amount of paint missing from the passenger door where some numpty has opened their car door onto it in the supermarket car park :(

Why this happens with new shiny cars I don't know, I've been parking in the same car park every day for the past 3 years in a big (and very wide by UK standards) Lexus LS400 - and you've guessed it, not a mark on it.

Take my new mini and park miles away from anyone else - pop in to get a sandwich, and come back to find the damage ! (no note of apology from the person responsible of course)

Car is with the dealer today (glovebox jammed shut, hood rattles, and alarm going off in rain), and will be asking for a quote to re-paint - suspect it will need entire door redoing, and hope that it looks as new when they have finished.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It all seems like jealousy to me. The door panels on a mini are very flexible and if slight pressure is applied they spring back to shape with no problems. To actually make a dent a considerable and sudden force needs to be applied. Like someone actually slamming their car door into the mini door.....

Never ever 'not think' about where you park. Always try to get a spot where no-one can park alongside or there is a lot of space. I only ever shop at non busy times. Anyway you can enjoy the drive to the supermarket more at 3 am....

·
Registered
208 Posts
One day on a local car park, I had just got out of my car, a Rover Cooper Sportspack, and was locking the door when an old white ford fiesta pulled up along side. I heard a noise like a door being opened on my car so went around to the passenger's side to investigate. Spotted a white mark and a dent, so shouted the young lad back to take a look with me, he swore blind that it wasn't him who had done it. I even had him open his door against mine to check the position of the mark - it was higher.
I was convinced though that it was him that did it but off he went to the store.
It was only later that I realised that the mark would have been in the correct place - when he was sitting in his car ! It cost me £30 cash in hand to get that fixed, otherwise it may have cost about £90. This is one of the problems, people think that such repairs cost next to nothing because it only looks so small.
Moan Over - 'till the next time ! :mad:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.