MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Brian
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 05 model Mini, it's now possible to purchase Electric Blue on the Mini One. I think this is a mistake. One of the reasons I bought my Cooper S in EB was it's exclusivity in the Mini range. Now everyone can have it. No being snobby but it could affect the residuals of the car as it will no longer be that exclusive. Even a few dealers I spoke to agreed on this. By the way, I have a friend who is very senior at the Cowley plant and he tells me there will definately be no more versions of the current model mini. He has already seen the prototype of the next Mini and confirmed there will be an "estate" version, 5 door, and possibly a roadster.

·
Girl Next Door...
1,191 Posts
EB is available on all models - saw a cooper the other day in EB.

I can totally understand why some S owners would be annoyed by this, as I can't see DS moving across the range. I guess the problem is the popularity of the colour. It is slightly more 'wacky' than the rest of the range so would be more desirable on a Mini.

Car manufacturers do this all the time, make something exclusive to see how it sells and then if they choose make it available across the range.

·
///M Power
5,066 Posts
BMW have done this before... I seem to remember imola red and estoril blue being both M only colours.... it now apears that they can be ordered on any car now... seen 320d in estroril blue the other day and thought that it was a shame.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I think it's wrong too - I love EB and have a mini-owner friend who loves it too. I've just ordered a cooper and was very tempted to get EB - but thought it would be pretty naff as it has always been an S colour only. Think it's very bad of BMW to do that - I'd be really miffed if I had an EB S. Chatted to my friend about it and we agreed it was naff to get EB on a ONE or Cooper. It is a lovely colour tho!

·
I like MINIs I do
331 Posts
I agree that it is bad to make an exclusive colour generally available.

Still, perhaps it isn't all that supprising when you look at the colour range for the 05 models. I was very disappointed when I saw the range. I wanted something more individual to suit my own tastes, but with just a handful of colours available that's pretty hard.

Ack! An estate version of the MINI? a 5 door? :| Roadster sounds interesting mind. Ah, I'm sure they know what they're doing...

Nice to know that there wont be another "facelifted" model.

·
Comes and Goes
257 Posts
He has already seen the prototype of the next Mini and confirmed there will be an "estate" version, 5 door, and possibly a roadster.
oh come on, mini to make an estate? i bet BMW coem up with thousands off ideas and only make about 5, R&D is a long process. i doubt they would bring out an estate. It will lose its USP.

i feel like your comments are not credible, considering you didnt know about EB till now and its been a change for a while. i believe 09/03 onwards. not far from a year. so people been actually ordering that color for over a year because of waiting list.

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
CooperID said:
BMW have done this before... I seem to remember imola red and estoril blue being both M only colours.... it now apears that they can be ordered on any car now... seen 320d in estroril blue the other day and thought that it was a shame.
I paid £1000 to have my M3 in estoril blue....makes me mad :mad:

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
To moan about a colour that was exclusive to the Cooper S now being available across the range is just a tad of snobbery however if you had paid alot extra to have that colour then yes I would agree,but you did'nt .!;)

Maybe what they should of done really was to also release the "Dark Silver" at the same time.?

Christ I'm glad they did'nt as that would cause twice as many people to start moaning.:D

dinger.:).

·
Brian
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Credible it is

eddie_DV52_CCZ said:
oh come on, mini to make an estate? i bet BMW coem up with thousands off ideas and only make about 5, R&D is a long process. i doubt they would bring out an estate. It will lose its USP.

i feel like your comments are not credible, considering you didnt know about EB till now and its been a change for a while. i believe 09/03 onwards. not far from a year. so people been actually ordering that color for over a year because of waiting list.
I can ratify the credibility of my statements as I have driven a 2005 Cooper S Convertible 4 months ago with all the black disguise tape on etc. My friend is very senior and as a chassis engineer is part of the testing procedure for new cars. He has shown me pics of him standing beside the new 1 series and 6 series at least 6 months ago. So please dont question the credibility of my posting...if you know something more concrete than I do I'd like you to prove it.

·
World Wide Flying Ace
830 Posts
I don't see the issue with this. An Electric Blue One, Cooper or S will all look good in different ways. Lookalikes are popping up in magazines already in the across the range colours. We've had our DS/B MCS for just over a week and I like the fact that I haven't seen loads of others so I understand the exclusivity issue. However, we all have our own reasons for buying our particular model and if eventually I start to see DS Ones and Coopers I won't love my car any less.

·
Registered
190 Posts
no indi blue in 05 right? phew...

·
MINI2.nl
401 Posts
On the 05 model Mini, it's now possible to purchase Electric Blue on the Mini One.
That was already sinds september 2003, and not sinds the 2005 models, EB wasn't a 'loved' color.
Be glad that it is stil there, two other colors made it only a year. (velvet red and silk green)

·
Registered
899 Posts
broberts said:
On the 05 model Mini, it's now possible to purchase Electric Blue on the Mini One. I think this is a mistake. One of the reasons I bought my Cooper S in EB was it's exclusivity in the Mini range. Now everyone can have it. No being snobby but it could affect the residuals of the car as it will no longer be that exclusive. Even a few dealers I spoke to agreed on this.
What snobbery! I wouldn't buy an EB anyway, not even if they reduced the price instead of charging extra for it as a metallic. Next you will be complaining of Ds having the six speed gearbox! EB was never sold as a limited edition nor as an indefinate exclusive. Do you mean to say that you would choose your cars colour because cheaper models couldn't have it? How sad is that?

If you want to be exclusive I suggest you go and get your car gold plated, because thats the way your post comes over.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
6,796 Posts
Apial said:
What snobbery! I wouldn't buy an EB anyway, not even if they reduced the price instead of charging extra for it as a metallic. Next you will be complaining of Ds having the six speed gearbox! EB was never sold as a limited edition nor as an indefinate exclusive. Do you mean to say that you would choose your cars colour because cheaper models couldn't have it? How sad is that?
No it means its unique! some people bought IndiBlue cuz it wasnt available on the S and then it was and they complained too! Thats your problem for not liking EB. Having certain things different and unique isnt anything... you're telling me you NEVER wanted somting unique compared to somthing else. Uh huh...

·
Registered
899 Posts
EBMCS03 said:
No it means its unique! some people bought IndiBlue cuz it wasnt available on the S and then it was and they complained too! Thats your problem for not liking EB. Having certain things different and unique isnt anything... you're telling me you NEVER wanted somting unique compared to somthing else. Uh huh...
The complaint is that by allowing EB to be available across the range, it will devalue EB MCSs. That is pure unsubstantiated non-sense. So are CR MCSs worth less than EB MCSs? No. A colour is just a colour. You buy it because you like it. If you worry about residuals then choose a colour that most other people will like and want to buy.

The snobby complaint is that it is OK for lots of MCSs in EB to be manufactured, but not on any other (cheaper) model. If production was doubled on EB MCSs then there would be no complaint. The issue is not specifically "uniqueness", but "model uniqueness". That is most definately a "snobbery issue"

If you don't mind, telling me my "problem", thank you, is none of your business. I personally do not want EB, and have bought what I wanted because I liked it. And my choice had nothing to do with exclusivity. If I had wanted exclusivity I would not have bought a MINI would I, let alone get upset at other MINIs sharing similarities? MINI in the UK at least have no plans for any limited editions, so you have no right to expect them to keep the current specifications, be it colour or performance.

By the same logic I presume that IB owners are using about exclusivity, increased numbers of MCSs in IB are watering down there exclusivity. So what? They should also complain tha BMW have made too many IB MCs, IB Ones and ONE Ds should't they?
Why not complain about every other similarity, ie ONE D side skirts are the same as the MCS ones?

If I wanted a unique MINI colour, I would go along to my custom paint shop and get a custom mixed colour that no one else had. And even then I could not stop someone copying my colour. And thats even after paying £1000s extra.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
About this Discussion
36 Replies
19 Participants
matt.morrow
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing