MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it\'s here!
just got a message from the BMW dealer!!!! there will be a MINI on display this coming week!!!!!
ok, so i am sure that someone else who has put a deposit down for a MINI without ever seeing, let alone ever riding in one
will be as excited as i am - sweet monday, oh how will i make it thru the weekend...
:9

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it possible for you to take some pictures while there? Do you know any details about the car that will be on display? I wonder if there will be someone from MINIUSA to answer any questions.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I haven\'t heard from my dealer, but since I am on the Left Coast, it may be a while yet before he gets a demo to show. Hopefully he will notify me, but I\'m not holding my breath, based upon past experience. As to MINIUSA and BMW, you can put the informative replies from them in with your collection of chicken teeth.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
since i work 5 blocks away, i will no doubt spend a few long lunches and coffee breaks drooling in the plush showroom... trying to borrow a digital camera: what more should i photograph? no idea what will be on view, but will ask as many questions possible re: what is there

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
On 29-09-2001 20:10 oopsdy wrote:
since i work 5 blocks away, i will no doubt spend a few long lunches and coffee breaks drooling in the plush showroom... trying to borrow a digital camera: what more should i photograph? no idea what will be on view, but will ask as many questions possible re: what is there
Since it is very unlikely the US-spec car will have a <b>rear</b> fog lamp, I\'m interested to learn if that toggle switch will work something else or just be a blank.

·
Registered
577 Posts
If that hole is capped, perhaps some enterprising fellow could make a fake matching paddle switch that would replace the cap so at least it would look better.

·
Registered
785 Posts
U.S. Audis and Volvos have a rear fog lamp, isn\'t that enough evidence?
My allroad has a separate switch for the rear fog.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You did not say where it is going to be. I live in Philadelphia and Newyork is just a short drive away. I see a road trip in my future. Please post all the information about this event. Location, Date, Time, etc. Thank you.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
On 30-09-2001 1:38 Garfield wrote:
U.S. Audis and Volvos have a rear fog lamp, isn\'t that enough evidence?
My allroad has a separate switch for the rear fog.
Oh I know many Volvos and Jags and Audis have the rear fog lamps -- even on US-spec models. But so relatively few high-end European cars are sold in the US, that 99% of American drivers would not even know what a rear fog lamp is, or why it might be useful. You don’t see rear fog lamps on VW models, do you?

For those European cars that do feature rear fog lamps, they are often switched on automatically when the front fog lamps are turned on - especially on Volvos. Useful in the home country, but the big problem is of course that switching on the front fog lights in perfectly clear weather long ago became a misguided fashion statement among the group of cretins who buy cars simply as status symbols. When the front fog lights are switched on to look “cool”, the driver doesn’t realize (or care) that the rear fog lamp is switched on as well. Following a car with the glare of 50W bright red rear fog lamp lit in clear weather tends to obscure the regular brake lights and is definitely dangerous.

My guess is that the MINI will not have the rear fog lamp activated for use on US-spec cars (and almost nobody will notice). BMW doesn’t provide rear fog lamps on US-spec models, do they?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the BMW of Manhattan is on west 57th at 10th or 11th avenue...i don\'t have their hours...it\'s on view for monday, oct 1 thru wednesday the 3rd...
amtrak or peter pan or nj transit and i\'ll be the one with a notepad, coffe cup, and a big grin!!!!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm going to plead ignorance here. I understand what a rear fog lamp is from the discussion, but can anyone post a picture or a link to a picture of a MINI with it's rear fog lamps on? I can't quite picture it.

Even if it is a feature rarely used, I too hope they either keep it on the car, or provide an alternate use for the switch. I think I'm actually so goofy as to buy features I wouldn't otherwise want if it means getting an OEM switch the designers put in, rather than a cap.

P.S. You guys could always buy a replacement switch from MINI part department and use it for something else. I put a driving light switch in place of a sunroof switch blank on a friends Honda, and it looks fine. I bought an overpriced momentary rear defroster switch for a BMW E-46 3-Series, changed the graphic and rigged it to a garage door opener for my Grandmother. That was neat.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Where & when:confused: I'll be staying at the Comfort INN Manhattan from Jan 8th-15th :) :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
oopsdy said:
the BMW of Manhattan is on west 57th at 10th or 11th avenue...i don\'t have their hours...it\'s on view for monday, oct 1 thru wednesday the 3rd...
amtrak or peter pan or nj transit and i\'ll be the one with a notepad, coffe cup, and a big grin!!!!
hope they'll have one on display by the time I return to the states! :rolleyes:

for those who are looking for operating hours and location, check bmwnyc.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts