MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was hit by a flying deer while taking our son to school @ 7:45 9/29/05. The deer smashed into the window & roof. The fender/door was only slightly damaged and thus, the airbags did not deploy. Luckily, they were not hurt and didn't even recieve a scratch. The local rescue squad (most who drive 4x4's) was amazed at the lack of injuries and now have a new respect for the little car.They were extremely lucky.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
Glad they are okay and nothing serious happend

But how did the deer fair ???

btw,

what do you call a deer with no eye's ?

answer in middle of line below....

(XXXFFFDSFSDFNOEYEDEERJKDSSDFSDF)

·
Registered
8,876 Posts
Hooray for the durable and protective MINI. Thank goodness no one was hurt, except for the deer.

noeyedeer .......... geeezzzzz!

·
Once lost, now found..
204,985 Posts
YIKES!!!

Thats a nasty impact

Glad to see the MINI held up well

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They were going 50-55 at impact. My son had his seat reclined & was sleeping. He played a soccer game the night before in a neighboring county and got in late.

My wife never saw the deer. A witness stated that it was in mid-air at impact. There was nothing that she could do.The deer rolled over the passenger side.

Believe it or not, the deer staggared off into the woods. It was a big one.

·
Loves the Fuzzy One
16,525 Posts
Oh my! There are a lot of deer around here too, I try to always keep an eye out for them. No way your wife could have avoided that!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MINI with repairs completed

The MINI has now been fixed.

Replaced roof, front roof support, windshield, trim, painted.

Total costs: $3,500

Attachments

·
Registered
9,661 Posts
brucesax said:
The MINI has now been fixed.

Replaced roof, front roof support, windshield, trim, painted.

Total costs: $3,500
Surrised the car was not written off. I'm pretty sure it would of been over here as the roof structure was damaged!

Looks nice and shiny now :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
interceptor said:
Surrised the car was not written off. I'm pretty sure it would of been over here as the roof structure was damaged!

Looks nice and shiny now :cool:

I agree. But, I piad for the damage rather than the insurance company. We did remove all of the interior, removed the roof & front support. Then, the new parts were welded on. The local MINI dealer's body shop recommended glueing the top on with 2 step epoxy. But, we decided to completely weld the roof on. It really looks like a good factory weld & will be stiffer. I have taken pictures of the entire process from the wreck through the completed car.

It was really interesting to see the car disassembled.

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
brucesax said:
I agree. But, I piad for the damage rather than the insurance company. We did remove all of the interior, removed the roof & front support. Then, the new parts were welded on. The local MINI dealer's body shop recommended glueing the top on with 2 step epoxy. But, we decided to completely weld the roof on. It really looks like a good factory weld & will be stiffer. I have taken pictures of the entire process from the wreck through the completed car.

Glad everyone was ok & you got your car fixed - would be interesting to see those photos though ;)

·
MINI2 Jedi Master
1,237 Posts
brucesax said:

Glad your wife and son were not hurt. Out of interest, why didn't you claim on your insurance ?

·
Dinan addict
145 Posts
3,500 out of pocket = end of story.
maybe 1,000 deductable( out of pocket) = 2,500 covered by insurance + a huge increase in insurance premium for a zillion years....

Maybe thats why he did this on his own :)

·
Mmmmm....MINI
718 Posts
Wow....This is really good. I drive ALOT of back roads and have wondered how it would handle if, god forbid, I hit a dear...Im glad that your wife and son ended up ok..

I would have paid out of pocket also..Darned insurance companys are leeches.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
I once hit a deer with a Saab Sonnett. No injuries, dead deer, car straight to junk yard though, not an unbent piece left. Sure am glad to see the resilience of the MINI and absolutely amazed it was not totalled!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
17 Participants
redskunk
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing