MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MINI went in for the third time today in order to try and get the memory programmed. For the third time the service manager is insisting it is not available.

I need some ammo for tommorrow, if you have had your\'s programmed then please can you answer -

1. What they did to find it.

2. What was actually available to programme.

3. The dealer that programmed it, and if possible a contact name and number.

Thanks.
P2K

·
Registered
73 Posts
I know you said to only post if you have had car memory programmed, but I had to say this.

My dealer, Damon Hill in Warwick, have told me that it is a known issue that the programming is not working, and BMW are in the process of sorting this out, and creating new software to help.

I am waiting to have mine programmed also, but as long as BMW get this problem sorted, there ain\'t much we or the dealers can do.

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 26-10-2001 10:01 pilchardthecat wrote:
have WHAT programmed?
Car Memory is a way to program MINI\'s electronic functions. All through the manual, there\'s a symbol telling you features that are changeable.

To make these modifications, BMW plug in to a diagnostic port located above the pedals in the cockpit.

Examples of how you modofy MINI\'s behaviour: You may opt to have only the driver\'s door unlock the first time you press the remote unlock button on your remote, and the rest of the doors on the second press. You can have the courtesy headlight delay feature switched on or off (this will light you way to your front door for a minute after you\'ve locked up MINI. You can tell MINI to lock the doors automatically as you pull away. You may also tell MINI to make a chirp when you arm/disarm the alarm/immobiliser.

Some BMW dealers seem to be denying the presence of this feature. I think it\'s because they haven\'t all got the correct software yet to make the changes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Bad Manners, I know you are at the same dealers as me.
They told me yesterday that they tried to do it, but the software they have doesn\'t work and they are waiting for the right ones to arrive.
So it can be done, just not at the moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It CAN be done. I had some changes made to my car approx two weeks ago.
My dealer is Fairfield, Southend On Sea telephone 01702 429429.

At first they too insisted that it was not poss to reprogram the car/key but I kept insisting it could. I had changes to
1. selective central locking
2. auto locking of door/boot at ignition start up.
Others are available per handbook/list from BMW intranet site.

Andrew

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 26-10-2001 11:46 pilchardthecat wrote:
do you have to have the \'computer\' option to get this?
No it\'s not an optional extra. Even the least expensive MINI One has this feature.

The £100 computer option gives you more information on the rev counter readout. You get an extra button on the indicator/lights stalk that allows you to cycle between the outside temperature, average mpg, average speed, and estimated range based on mpg and amount of fuel left in the tank.

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 26-10-2001 11:46 Varse wrote:
Bad Manners, I know you are at the same dealers as me.
They told me yesterday that they tried to do it, but the software they have doesn\'t work and they are waiting for the right ones to arrive.
So it can be done, just not at the moment.
I\'ll be back to them when they\'ve got the requisite bits of software, because I\'d like the open-one-door-at-a-time feature and the lock-the-doors-when-pulling-away feature turned on.

·
Happy as Larry!
118 Posts
Does anyone have a comprehensive list of what can be prgrammed?

I guess there is stuff can be done that isn\'t in the manual.

Thanks

Paul

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 26-10-2001 13:26 PB wrote:

I would think, with new firmware programmed into the car\'s computer, you could make it do a disco-light show every time you pushed the ASC-T toggle. The car is pretty smart already, eg you can control how the interior lights come on by holding the button, and holding buttons down on the remote key or pressing them twice quickly or twice slowly gives different effects, like turning the interior lights on, disarming the alarm\'s movement detector, popping the boot hatch, etc

·
Registered
577 Posts
Be careful of the \"doors lock when the car pulls away\" feature. Ford tried that a few years ago. People would go to the car wash, where the windows were rolled up, keys in the ignition and engine running. The wheels would go to the spinner to clean the sidewalls, and the doors would lock, with the keys inside. If you have this feature, carry a spare key with you when you get out, or hide one in a magnetic case under the car somewhere, just in case.

·
MINI2 Freak
122 Posts
On 26-10-2001 13:26 PB wrote:

Thanks

Paul
I think Baldie has the memory page of the manual scanned in on his gallery?? Someone point it out if I have got the wrong person please, don\'t think so though.

Jon

Ps I asked my dealer about it yesterday and he said it will be possible just that they are waiting for the software to do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bad manners wrote:

\"I would think, with new firmware programmed into the car\'s computer, you could make it do a disco-light show\"

excellent!!!! :party:

i must arrange this!!!

·
MINI2 prodigal son
2,686 Posts
On 26-10-2001 14:01 mr.bill wrote:
Be careful of the \"doors lock when the car pulls away\" feature. Ford tried that a few years ago. People would go to the car wash, where the windows were rolled up, keys in the ignition and engine running. The wheels would go to the spinner to clean the sidewalls, and the doors would lock, with the keys inside. If you have this feature, carry a spare key with you when you get out, or hide one in a magnetic case under the car somewhere, just in case.
MINI? Car wash? If ever there\'s a car that deserves a shampoo by car, it\'s MINI.

I\'ve never seen a wheel spinner, and If I\'m not sitting in a car, I always make sure the keys are in my pocket :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heres what I have had switched on:-

What I have had switched on my MINI Cooper Feb02 build.

1) Activating the headlight courtesy delay function AKA 'Follow me home lights'). 240 second delay option.

2) Switching on the inside light via the remote control.

3) Activating / deactivating the interior movement detector/tilt alarm sensor via the remote control.

4) Automatically locking the vehicle after setting off.

5) Manual selective central locking where the first press unlocks only the drivers door, then the second press unlocks the remainder of the vehicle./Selective Central Locking with key in door lock.

6) Holding RC down options: Unlock Boot.

Hope this helps someone.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts