MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone interested in a Saturday drive through the Worcester County countryside? I'm thinking along the lines of a run from Worcester to Mt. Wachusett while taking in such sights as Bancroft Tower, Hot Dog Annie's, Moore State Park, Wachusett Brewery. Anyone? Bueller? :silver:

The time and event schedule is as follows:
Start at Bancroft Tower @8:30am July 31st (directions from anywhere go to: http://www.ci.worcester.ma.us/wpr/parks/directions/salisbury_directions.htm
Motor to Moore State Park in Paxton - Mt Wachusett State Reserve in Princeton ($2 park fee) - Wachusett Brewing in Westminster for the 1pm brewery tour.
Optional before and after events:
Before - Carl's Diner in Oxford for breakfast @ 7am (290w to 395s exit 4 to Oxford, left at lights. Carl's is imediately on the right)
After - m2smith's home in Holden for BBQ etc with a Pinecroft Dairy ice cream run

Please email [email protected] with intentions
Here are driving directions for Bancroft to Wachusett brewery with milage calculated from the exit of each attraction:
http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45334&stc=1

Current list of attendees:
M2smith
GBMINI
EandJ
HarveyJoseph
Terrylynn
JWardell
Sideways
Snid
KGouin
Actual Size
Snek
MaxaMini
Pezboy
bakerjc (or not)...

Let's Motor :D :silver:

Attachments

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
m2smith said:
while taking in such sights as Bancroft Tower, Hot Dog Annie's, Moore State Park, Wachusett Brewery. Anyone? Bueller? :silver:
Here's the highlights:

Hot Dog Annies:
The roadside Hot Dog Annie’s is worth a pull-over if you need a hot dog fix in central Massachusetts. Topped with the house BBQ sauce, it’s a simple pleasure from an otherwise questionable kitchen.

Moore State Park:
Moore State Park in Paxton, Massachusetts is a beautiful and peaceful 671 acre historic landscape combining archaeological sites, waterfalls, cascades, incredible stone work, agricultural fields and forestland, as well as thousands of rhododendrons and azaleas. The park is open during daylight hours every day of the year to casual walkers and serious hikers who enjoy the natural beauty and tranquility here. For 180 years the rapid descent of a small brook through a dramatic ledge-lined gorge provided the power to operate a series of mills which in turn spawned the development of a rural mill village.

Bancroft Tower:
This hasn't changed much except for the chains around it and a lot of broken glass bottles.

Wachusett Brewery:
Brewery Tours
Fun and educational tours are offered every Saturday at 1 & 3 pm (Wednesday - Friday, please call ahead). Get a taste of how fresh beer is made.
Families are welcome, we have root beer available for the kids

Wachusett Mountain:
Rising above the surrounding forest to a height of 2006 feet, Mount Wachusett stands as a unique landmark within the central New England landscape. From the summit, a clear day reveals views of Mt. Monadnock in New Hampshire, the Berkshires to the west, and the Boston skyline to the east. The 3,000-acre Wachusett Mountain State Reservation surrounds the summit and offers a wealth of natural and recreational resources. The Reservation's natural resources include forests, alpine meadows, ponds, streams, fields, and even a perched bog. Recreational opportunities abound at the reservation including hiking, nature study, hawk watching, picnicking, and skiing. The Reservation offers 17 miles of hiking and walking trails, including 3.9 miles of the Midstate Trail, which runs from Ashburnham to the Rhode Island border. Mountain Road stretches to the John Hitchcock Visitor's Center at the summit, a short distance from the Wachusett Mountain Ski Area, which is the largest in eastern Massachusetts.

I think we need to get Quabbin into it also.

Oh yeah, this is a must-come-to run...........

Attachments

·
Privileged & Gifted
8,137 Posts
bakerjc said:
The sub par crappy pic of the tower makes it look nicer than it really is.........

While in Worcester we could also tour the plumbing museum...the only one in the country. Seems fitting for this group.

http://www.wbur.org/special/strangemuseums/plumbing.asp

Ian might look good in a suit of armor? Oh, the ideas just keep coming......
Isn't there a Armour Museum in town? The building itself is fashioned from steel plates rivited in place.

Bakerjc is this when we will meet?

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
MaxaMini said:
Isn't there a Armour Museum in town? The building itself is fashioned from steel plates rivited in place.

Already this event looks to be getting out of hand. Looks like I'll be putting the MINI in the garage and stalk all of you with my wifes Civic.........unless of course someone mists this meet with fish repellent.

And oldYeller thinks Max and Smith are clones. Priceless.......

Not to mention that people are thinking of driving big distances for this? Guys......this is Worcester. There's nothing to see here, just move along.

I'll be at the Longso tomorrow dodging bicycles......look for me on the Sports Channel. I'll be the guy totally out of shape with the dumb look on his face.

Higgins Info:
The Higgins Armory Museum enjoys the distinction of being the only museum in the Western Hemisphere entirely devoted to the study and display of arms and armor, but this is just one of many ways in which the Higgins is unique. Our founder, John Woodman Higgins, chose to house his fascinating and eclectic collection in a building of surprising contrasts, from its steel and glass Art Deco exterior to the vaulted Medieval Great Hall. Visitors will be amazed at the scope and breadth of historical, cultural and technological periods represented by the objects, amassed by a passionate collector over the course of a lifetime. Artifacts ranging from Corinthian helmets of ancient Greece to ornate suits of armor from the height of the Renaissance give our visitors an exciting glimpse into the past, while our many informative and entertaining programs help to interpret the collection in a broad cultural context.

And is this who I think it is? John? You posin' again?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Armor necessary in my current relationship. And I go with the original mace, not that bottled stuff. These are NOT just flesh wounds!.. How about the old whorehouse in Barre or counting how many isolationists are currently living hidden in the Quabbin, or just pronouncing Petersham the native way.

Good ideas guys. MA north of Worcester is underappreciated and, one hopes, underpatrolled.

Watch out, Baker will take us by Spag's.

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DanzMINI2 said:
OK, This thread is almost 24 hours old, Where are the details?
I don't know the area that well, but I would be interested in a pre-run! Let me know.
Cheers
-Dan
How 'bout July 31st??? It's a full moon Saturday and the Brewery is open for tours. We could meet at Doherty high School (off Rt 9in Worcester) head to lovely Bancroft Tower to take in Worcester's other six hills; off to Hot Dog Annies, tour Moore State Park, up Mt. Wachusett and finish up at the aforementioned brewery. The week before is Worcester Bike and Hot rod week end (Summer Nationals this 4th of July weekend) which could be fun too...
Let the Debate begin!
:D :silver:

·
MINI2 Master Baiter
3,406 Posts
m2smith said:
How 'bout July 31st??? It's a full moon Saturday and the Brewery is open for tours. We could meet at Doherty high School (off Rt 9in Worcester) head to lovely Bancroft Tower to take in Worcester's other six hills; off to Hot Dog Annies, tour Moore State Park, up Mt. Wachusett and finish up at the aforementioned brewery. The week before is Worcester Bike and Hot rod week end (Summer Nationals this 4th of July weekend) which could be fun too...
Let the Debate begin!
I vote for the 31st.....and I'll be in Maine starting that day for the next week.

Alas, no Civic to toy with........

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MaxaMini said:
Not only an interesting meeting place, but there are two MINI billboards either side of the road leading to Higgins Armory... Destiny? Perhaps;)

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Bottom of the 13th...
Yankees suck
"1918 - not a curse - just the start of a great tradition..."

·
is the best approach
149 Posts
m2smith said:
Not only an interesting meeting place, but there are two MINI billboards either side of the road leading to Higgins Armory... Destiny? Perhaps;)
Yes! The "0% Body Fat" billboard was a leading source of torture during my 8-month wait - a constant reminder which was all the more remarkable since even "The Evil Herb" is ~45 mi. away & MOP about 65mi.

This all sounds like fun & a good intro to any out-of-towners. I've only lived in Wormtown a few years, but you've hit a lot of favorites. The 31st is good for me, too - no autocrosses in the area AFAIK.

Maybe I'll get a chance to connect a few people/MINIs/sigs/plates that I didn't manage at MOT. :indi:

·
Yo! Ol' Man!
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome aboard!

Sideways said:
Yes! The "0% Body Fat" billboard was a leading source of torture during my 8-month wait - a constant reminder which was all the more remarkable since even "The Evil Herb" is ~45 mi. away & MOP about 65mi.

This all sounds like fun & a good intro to any out-of-towners. I've only lived in Wormtown a few years, but you've hit a lot of favorites. The 31st is good for me, too - no autocrosses in the area AFAIK.

Maybe I'll get a chance to connect a few people/MINIs/sigs/plates that I didn't manage at MOT. :indi:
I think that there were too many Smiths at MOT - Couldn't keep 'em all straight:confused:
Other favorites? Now is a good time to toss in any and all suggestions since the 31st will be fast upon us. :silver:

1 - 20 of 245 Posts