MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I hope you can help.

I bought my car over a year ago, got MOT done 3 weeks ago and O2 sensor replaced. The next day, heating wasn't working and car made a loud sound and died whilst driving. Took it to garage who said compression has gone in cylinder one, all the other cylinders are fine.

Either I can get the engine replaced or scrap the car...

What do you advise? Is it worth replacing the engine and labour costs, or best just to get rid of it? I had a new clutch and gearbox 6 months ago, and full service history, so everything else is running smooth.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Hi everyone

I hope you can help.

I bought my car over a year ago, got MOT done 3 weeks ago and O2 sensor replaced. The next day, heating wasn't working and car made a loud sound and died whilst driving. Took it to garage who said compression has gone in cylinder one, all the other cylinders are fine.

Either I can get the engine replaced or scrap the car...

What do you advise? Is it worth replacing the engine and labour costs, or best just to get rid of it? I had a new clutch and gearbox 6 months ago, and full service history, so everything else is running smooth.

Thanks
pull head pull pistons re ring it and do head new timing chain as well done loads like this over the years they all go that way at some point past 80.000 miles link below for how they go and the fix,, trouble with a used engine is they are already worn out most of them,,

·
Premium Member
2008 Mini Cooper S hatchback,Automatic,Mello Yellow
1,018 Posts
I have come to admit in my life there are definitely two types of logic on a car that is going bad or gone bad.
1. sell it buy a junker and drive it for a year buy another. There are always cars like that on the market.
2,Fix it and keep on fixing and maintaining it. Spending money otherwise spent on a different car but a car that runs for a year.
Two completely different systems of thinking. Yes in a way if I could have kept all the cars I ever owned. It would be the second car I owned. A Candy Apple Red Pontiac Tempest 1969. Then I would have kept my other one a 1977 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ black with red pinstripes and American centerline wheels with fat sized tires in the back and regular tires in the front tinted 80 percent all the way around. I could go on and on. As someone that had not a lot of money to save a car or two and got rid of them. That 1977 was then clean enough to be about 14,000 dollars these days. The 69 needed a little work but nothing major at the time. It probably would have been about the same amount of money. But the crushed black velvet of the 77 and that wrap around console🤙
When you switch to fixing your car that is really what it turns into. wishing you would have held on to the other stuff. I have a whole list of um over the years. Because you see how simple it could of been.
ON the same token you spend money that could otherwise go into a different car. And there are deals out there all the time.
I do have some regrets about my mini cooper and fixing it up. IT's a Mini I have over the last 2 couple years put about 9 thousand into it. It's the turbo charged. I can sell it for more and with 18 inch mini wheels I bought a decade ago that have not a scratch! I look at it and wonder if it can keep up with the other cars I owned in the past as far as value. But it runs good for me now I don't care.
Then it hits home. It's getting older everyday.
Is it hard to fix yourself. In my own opinion it is like a small engine with a lot of plastic parts. Small and not nearly as major as it seems when problems occur (without the knowledge of what is wrong). Easy to fix. ONCE YOU KNOW! and that can come at a cost. And even though it is a older car. It's still clean enough to drive where ever you want in the continent. And it's never let me down. I buy new tires for it. I keep it from the limp mode functions by maintaining it. So when I do go somewhere in it. I don't have to think about it.
BUT the other side of the token is I think about it.
Something someone that's just trying to get to work and worry about the better part of there life does not have to do. fill the oil not so much. More like come at me with another warning code on the dash type thought process. Which is a side effect of the glory of fixing all that stuff yourself, and not a good side effect.
People were meant to live on this earth for all kinds of reasons. And having to balance your own tires and air them up and have your own workshop to work on them makes you wonder who dropped the ball here.
Buying a used car is not bad these days. They have good ones to where you don't need to think about it.
Like Honda Accords and stuff. That are not even a thought about a problem.
It's your choice in the end I made my choice. To live with a little bit of class for now. working on my mini cooper. Sure I wished it could be that other stuff. Right now in a way. reliability and comfort. But I took my mini cooper out in the freezing cold the yesterday. And it warmed right up. And I did not see very many of them out there. But they were out there in the cold. And I don't care what people think about me in my mini cooper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pull head pull pistons re ring it and do head new timing chain as well done loads like this over the years they all go that way at some point past 80.000 miles link below for how they go and the fix,, trouble with a used engine is they are already worn out most of them,,
Thank you so much for your reply.. is there any chance you could work on my car at all?

So would you suggest I approach a garage to try the above- economically, is it worth it, even though it has done 125k miles?

·
Registered
9,197 Posts
Thank you so much for your reply.. is there any chance you could work on my car at all?

So would you suggest I approach a garage to try the above- economically, is it worth it, even though it has done 125k miles?
personally with 125k no I would not as mileage has gone well past the 100k mark where all cars become very hard to re sell at any point, i do a few in my private time,, would not sit right with me to say that car is worth doing as by time done the engine side of it chances are the 02 sensors and cat would need replacing as well,, last one i done 1.4 mini one had 80k on it ended up at £950 for engine refresh and further £490 for cat and sensors,, using after market parts but known good ones,, if wanted genuine bmw parts would be well north of £2500... i use fai or febi chain kits and and elring gasket and stem seal kits so good brand,,
its one of those if like the car its new enough on a 2009 125k on the rest of it is nothing ie gearbox and running gear will do over 200k easy,,, the mileage then only becomes a issue when reselling it if not selling it turns it in to a nice sorted car,, but i will say and i say this everyone these engines are designed to use oil ie bmw say normal is 1 litre to 800 to 1000 miles is the normal on a new engine,, but all the car makers these days seem to be doing same trick,, they use single piece piston rings that are rubbish,, i replace them with better solid 3 piece oil rings and better compression rings sets,,, i had a cooper s back the other day done 5k since refresh and still had no crankcase breathing out the oil filler when running ie really good result cuts down on oil being burnt through breather system as well ,,
this all said if wanted it doing yes i can do it, i'm looking end of this moth before even being able to look at it as got cars and engine jobs coming out of my ear holes at mo,, got more to do than me to go around lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts