MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I decided that I want to buy a second generation Mini, however I've discovered that the early Petrol models had terrible timing chain issues causing what is now known as death rattle. All of the issues I found online were with the 1.6 Petrol Minis, mainly the Mini Cooper S. However, since the 1.4 models didn't sell that well it's possible that they have the same problem, and that I haven't discovered them in my research. So my question is: which second generation engine is the most reliable? I really don't care about the speed and acceleration and I know the mpg numbers, I just want the most reliable model. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Hi. I decided that I want to buy a second generation Mini, however I've discovered that the early Petrol models had terrible timing chain issues causing what is now known as death rattle. All of the issues I found online were with the 1.6 Petrol Minis, mainly the Mini Cooper S. However, since the 1.4 models didn't sell that well it's possible that they have the same problem, and that I haven't discovered them in my research. So my question is: which second generation engine is the most reliable? I really don't care about the speed and acceleration and I know the mpg numbers, I just want the most reliable model. Thanks in advance.
death rattle those two words might reap fear in anyone looking to buy a car, so some facts all engines that have timing chains these days have a recommended period for changing them all the vag stuff does merc and honda dont as they use proper chains in most of there cars. so my view theres nothing death about as long as someone has the educated facts on them, i will explain 1.4 and the turbo cars with prince engine tend to be driven at higher revs more of the time so wear in the chains is a little higher it would seem, we have two turbo cars in family my sons both over 120k both remapped over 200 bhp both driven fairly hard, every 60k without fail they get new timing chain kits and they dont miss a beat,,, compared to other cars where people dont realise how retarded and slow their cars have got they just drive on beating them untill the top guide snaps off this is when death rattle comes from and its not totally right, buy one with recent timing chain done good cars

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
death rattle those two words might reap fear in anyone looking to buy a car, so some facts all engines that have timing chains these days have a recommended period for changing them all the vag stuff does merc and honda dont as they use proper chains in most of there cars. so my view theres nothing death about as long as someone has the educated facts on them, i will explain 1.4 and the turbo cars with prince engine tend to be driven at higher revs more of the time so wear in the chains is a little higher it would seem, we have two turbo cars in family my sons both over 120k both remapped over 200 bhp both driven fairly hard, every 60k without fail they get new timing chain kits and they dont miss a beat,,, compared to other cars where people dont realise how retarded and slow their cars have got they just drive on beating them untill the top guide snaps off this is when death rattle comes from and its not totally right, buy one with recent timing chain done good cars
Thanks for your response. I get what you're saying, but it's clear that Cooper S N14 was very problematic, the timing chain issue appeared much sooner than usually. So, my question is: is the 1.4 version any better than the 1.6 regarding that particular issue?

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Thanks for your response. I get what you're saying, but it's clear that Cooper S N14 was very problematic, the timing chain issue appeared much sooner than usually. So, my question is: is the 1.4 version any better than the 1.6 regarding that particular issue?
we got two n14 cooper s in family both over 120k both get chains at 60k both mapped both dont miss a beat, trouble is people who dont know go and write something about their car being a dog because it had all these problems,, when reality more often than not is someone buys a car with over 80.000 miles that has been treated badly low engine oil wrong oil lack of service etc and raced around from new,, drive them around at normal speeds and up t 3000 revs etc and they will do over 100k without to much problem, but its a performance car bought for that reason and gets abused a bit more than most,, the 1.4 or 1.6 non turbo car are same its same chain used on all of them the top guides are different on the n14 than n16 as n16 has twin vanos as do the 1.4 and 1.6 non turbo engines,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be selling a mini one 2008 1.4 86000 lots of work done on it, after its MOT next week if your interested?
If this was directed at me, I'm not from UK, sorry. Anyway, if others have opinions on this I welcome them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts