MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been looking over the forums for a while and some great advice has been posted but I still am a bit unsure as to what is going on with my diesel mini as most of what I have seem relates to petrol.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated as I have taken this problem to a few menchanics now and they all have different and costly opinions but no 100% answer.

basically my car is overheating and the fan is cuttin in over 11 average miles. It was initially evaporating from the coolant cap so had this replaced for an official bmw cap which seemed to restore some of the pressure in the pipes. But alas it overheats and the coolant does eventually vanish but with no visable leaks in the engine bay or under the car.

I have had discussions about the heater matrix but there is no damp or flooded interior carpets also the heater does blow hot when on hot.

I have had discussions about the thermostat but according to the mechanics there is no signs that this is the case either.

its had a sniff test / block test but this didn't give an indication as far as head gasket although one mechanic said it was but this again wasn't 100% sure but still charged for his glance and said get a second opinion.

The dash sounds like there is a bottle of water sloshing around.
one thread advised to change coolant that is easier said and done and hasn't been advised by anyone i've seen.

it is losing coolant slowly but no signs of leaks and its generally being a muppet.

if anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
The sloshing sound behind the dash is normally caused by air in the heater matrix/pipes which can cause overheating, no experience personally of diesel Mini's but petrol Mini's are notorious for air in the heater system and need careful patient bleeding via valves on the engine/heater hoses.

If you have air-con this can also sometimes give sloshing sounds behind the dash as gas and liquid passes through the pipes to the heater/Aircon unit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I have been looking over the forums for a while and some great advice has been posted but I still am a bit unsure as to what is going on with my diesel mini as most of what I have seem relates to petrol.

If anyone can help it would be really appreciated as I have taken this problem to a few menchanics now and they all have different and costly opinions but no 100% answer.

basically my car is overheating and the fan is cuttin in over 11 average miles. It was initially evaporating from the coolant cap so had this replaced for an official bmw cap which seemed to restore some of the pressure in the pipes. But alas it overheats and the coolant does eventually vanish but with no visable leaks in the engine bay or under the car.

I have had discussions about the heater matrix but there is no damp or flooded interior carpets also the heater does blow hot when on hot.

I have had discussions about the thermostat but according to the mechanics there is no signs that this is the case either.

its had a sniff test / block test but this didn't give an indication as far as head gasket although one mechanic said it was but this again wasn't 100% sure but still charged for his glance and said get a second opinion.

The dash sounds like there is a bottle of water sloshing around.
one thread advised to change coolant that is easier said and done and hasn't been advised by anyone i've seen.

it is losing coolant slowly but no signs of leaks and its generally being a muppet.

if anyone has any advice it would be really appreciated.

thanks
Hi, did you get this sorted? Having same problem!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
Volcanobag
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing