MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to everyone, I'm new to this forum and am really looking into getting a mini. I'm stuck between the Cooper and the Cooper S (I'd really like the S but it's way over my budget).
I was looking at my local dealers notes (I live in Greece) and saw that the Mini One has a 1.4 litre engine 75bhp,
everywhere else I checked the Mini One has a 1.6 engine.
This seems strange!
Does the 1.4 exist anywhere else?

Here is the Greek Mini website (in eh...greek).
http://www.mini.com.gr/GR/

regards,
memnon.

·
MINI2 No.1
42,467 Posts
I'm not sure what markets have the 1.4 MINI One, but I was sure it's more than just Greece. I can find out if people want to know. Might take a little while.

I wasn't sure if it was made, but I was told it was for "some European" markets when I first questioned this a long time back.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
1.4 has always existed on the BMW/MINI parts catalogue, which is the same software for all countries.
Obviously we never need to look parts up for a 1.4 MINI ONE in this country, but the fact it's there seems to indicate someone, somewhere has MINI ONE 1.4's for sale!

·
Mr 120d Sport
4,610 Posts
StevePSB said:
1.4 has always existed on the BMW/MINI parts catalogue, which is the same software for all countries.
Obviously we never need to look parts up for a 1.4 MINI ONE in this country, but the fact it's there seems to indicate someone, somewhere has MINI ONE 1.4's for sale!
Certain markets have tax incentives for engines under 1.4 litres........hence the need for a 1.4 litre engine.

It looks like they "de-stroke" the engine to reduce the capacity, so whilst they keep the same pistons, a new crank and con-rods would be needed. The block would be common though.

I know from my time at Lotus, we used to produce a 2 litre version of the 2.2 litre engine especially for the Italian market, for tax reasons.

This engine eventually found it's way into the Esprit GT3 in the UK market, although it never seemed to lack go when compared with the 2.2 litre! (240 bhp from memory!).

Robert

1 - 10 of 10 Posts