MINI Cooper Forum banner
81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
you must use a 27mm open ended spanner to hold camshaft perfectly still when doing the vanos torx stretch bolt up, also also before doing the stretch part ie 20nm stage rotate engine and relock the engine to check its in time and the chain and sprockets have settled as some times they need readjusting just before the stretch part of doing up the bolt, i also do the crank bolt ie 40nm plus 120 degrees first while leaving the camshaft bolt loose and set timing via the camshafts this reduces chance of things getting pulled out of time ,, ie reduces that risk by a 3rd , i also only use the tensioner these days and not the dummy preload one ,, by doing that way you know the force on the guides are all correct preload to tensioner spring ie cant get it wrong,,BUT MUST HOLD THE CAMSHAFTS PERFECTLY STILL WHEN DOING THE VANOS BOLTS UP ,, thats how i do all of them these days and never get it wrong by this process

·
Registered
32 Posts
you must use a 27mm open ended spanner to hold camshaft perfectly still when doing the vanos torx stretch bolt up, also also before doing the stretch part ie 20nm stage rotate engine and relock the engine to check its in time and the chain and sprockets have settled as some times they need readjusting just before the stretch part of doing up the bolt, i also do the crank bolt ie 40nm plus 120 degrees first while leaving the camshaft bolt loose and set timing via the camshafts this reduces chance of things getting pulled out of time ,, ie reduces that risk by a 3rd , i also only use the tensioner these days and not the dummy preload one ,, by doing that way you know the force on the guides are all correct preload to tensioner spring ie cant get it wrong,,BUT MUST HOLD THE CAMSHAFTS PERFECTLY STILL WHEN DOING THE VANOS BOLTS UP ,, thats how i do all of them these days and never get it wrong by this process
hi right sorted miss fire and p0015 now got p0012 and p0014 wont idol

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 ·
p0012 and p0014 wont idle ,
P0012 is an OBD-II generic trouble code which indicates a vehicle's ECM (engine control module) has detected the intake camshaft timing on Bank 1 (number 1 cylinder side of engine) does not correspond with the intake camshaft timing (in degrees) which the ECM expected to find; the camshaft timing is over-retarded
he 'P0014' fault code is a standardised OBD-II code denoting that the ECU has identified a problem with the engine's exhaust camshaft position, where it's more advanced than what the ECU has specified. If you have a V-engine, it specifically indicates that the first bank exhaust camshaft is over advanced
timing the issue

·
Registered
32 Posts
hi right sorted miss fire and p0015 now got p0012 and p0014 wont idol
p0012 and p0014 wont idle ,
P0012 is an OBD-II generic trouble code which indicates a vehicle's ECM (engine control module) has detected the intake camshaft timing on Bank 1 (number 1 cylinder side of engine) does not correspond with the intake camshaft timing (in degrees) which the ECM expected to find; the camshaft timing is over-retarded
he 'P0014' fault code is a standardised OBD-II code denoting that the ECU has identified a problem with the engine's exhaust camshaft position, where it's more advanced than what the ECU has specified. If you have a V-engine, it specifically indicates that the first bank exhaust camshaft is over advanced
timing the issue
how can i sort this issue is it a mechanical issue or is it a programming issue that needs reprogramming
the timing tool sits on fine with the crank locked in position
can we chat in messanger
also my radiator not getting hot but expansion bottle is

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #88 ·
when you set the timing tools its important to rotate the crankshaft only clockwise while finding the crank lock point,, then see if cam locks drop in to place,, if you have to turn camshafts in any way to drop lock tools on to them then timing is incorrect,

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
for me its more to not timed or a mechanical break somewhere thats what I would suspect , but the timing process needs to be sure its right

·
Registered
32 Posts
when you set the timing tools its important to rotate the crankshaft only clockwise while finding the crank lock point,, then see if cam locks drop in to place,, if you have to turn camshafts in any way to drop lock tools on to them then timing is incorrect,
timing seems to out
but i seem to have 2 points that lock the crank
going to cut 4 piece of wire rest them on pistons when they level use that locking point
that sound ok

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
when you push the crankshaft pin in ,,,,,,YOU CAN NOT ROTATE CRANKSHAFT EITHER DIRECTION WITH A 3FT BREAKER BAR ON THE 18MM PULLEY BOLT,,,,,, if 180 degrees out it will sort of lock until you put bigger pressure on it ie the breaker bar full force as such,

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
thanks again mike last question rockers are noisy will this settle with time
did you squeeze them out before fitting them , ie so yes will all oil gets hot and a hour or two should become no tapping when its correct,, rule of thumb on these engines the rattle like hell first start up hence why i leave on idle for a good hour after a rebuild bring its all to temp slowly , and when its all done correctly should have no noise w=from engine after a couple of hours tops , ie i had so many people tell me after rebuilds that their engine was so silent then thought it had cut out

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
dip stick as top ring, ie 4.2 litres with filter, spark plugs as per below ie for n12 16b engines

Photograph Light Product Rectangle Azure

n14 engines
Light Product Rectangle Azure Font

·
Registered
32 Posts
thanks Mike for all your help just running great solenoids siezed once hooked up to battery and lots of wd she fine a little noisy but getting there waiting for fan to kick in then i wait and do again do you keep below 5k revs for a while

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
thanks Mike for all your help just running great solenoids siezed once hooked up to battery and lots of wd she fine a little noisy but getting there waiting for fan to kick in then i wait and do again do you keep below 5k revs for a while
under 3k revs best place for 1000 miles is what i tend to do , after a oil change and filter ,

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
if its knocking its working out is it due to running on 3 cylinders or crank shaft noise or from the head

·
Registered
32 Posts
hes one for you new cat sensors fit head overhaul new rings big ends still failed emissions could it be we drove for 50miles new cat before doing oil work

81 - 100 of 111 Posts