Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
ok get them then nothing else can be

Bit i dont understand before work had bad oil seals and rings how come venos plays up after
dont know something not gone back right , most people have issues with putting the vvt back together it can be a real pain in arse, only takes one or two of the spring fingers to have come out of the groove pics below of how they are meant to sit , if not all in the groove will effect the vvt motor and how car runs and sounds
White Automotive lighting Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Bumper Rim Bicycle part

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
also did you wind the vvt motor in when fitting it with a 4mm allen key in back of motor,, ie all head built up you should have a spring load against the concentric shaft and its worm wheel and when fitting the motor or removing it you wind it in and out from the rear of the motor as such, also tail tail sign of spring fingers being wrong is when rotate engine you get clicks and noises from the inlet side ,, when done right you have no noise and is silky smooth, i'll have a head on my bench later this week might try and do a video on how to do the vvt springs and some cheats etc,, i have had them where i have put them all in turned head all seemed correct then after first start up some jumped back out the groove ,, my theory is on cars that were cooked over heated seems like it effects the coils on the springs, i have also seen them snap the ends off on high miles cars before

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·
the position will auto find its start point when turn ignition on for first time you should hear the motor and shaft move,, what you can do it wind it all way from the bump stop above the worm wheel in rocker cover then switch ignition on,, it should then run the motor and reset the concentric shaft to the bump stop,, if is 10mm away from bump stop i would say some vvt springs are not right perhaps, or if it down reset then motor issue or the censor for position ie on end of concentric shaft is faulty or loose perhaps the outer part of sensor is the 3x 10mm bolts plastic end cap, and on end of shaft onside is a coil that bolts on shaft by allen bolt, have seen these fail before ,, and have seen it get damaged when stripping rebuilding the head as its hard plastic and cracks easy ,,
right when you push the springs backwards and across you must rotate camshaft on that lobe to furthest away, then i jam a screw driver or a wedge to push the upright post backwards and upwards at the inside point ie where the groove is ,,, if dont do this you will miss the groove and its impossible to see the grooves so its a feel thing and knowing what they look like after,,,

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #129 ·

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #131 ·
@paulmor2304 - curious to know if you got the mini running ok in the end? I'm on a similarly endless ($$$) quest to fix up my son's Mini N12. A long story I won't go into here, but it would be good to know the outcome of this thread?

Also a massive thanks to @mike1967. I couldn't have got as far as I have without his sterling advice..
your welcome

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
will add if anyone wants a engine refresh doing feel free to message me and see what we can work out, I also have a guy who collects cars from anywhere in uk based on a per mile transport cost, or even if someone wants a full rebuild doing ie engine out and crank done upwards etc,, and done right is the main bit, feel free to private message me,

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
my latest victim was a clubman cooper s 2008 with 92k on clock guy drove from Birmingham to cornwall to drop it off he stopped once to re fill with engine oil near bristol and had used 1 litre of oil, by time he done next 170 miles i remover 2,5 litre of oil when done the engine refresh so should 4,6 litres to full,, this had a new piston rings better spec solid ones 3 piece new head bolts new cam and crank bolts new conrod bolts new valve stem seals head and valve all cleaned shiny again and valve seats re-lapped in it also had a new timing chain full kit with new vanos ,,, also it had a few extras i fitted a new turbo chamber mellet one £199 and new 02 sensor thermo housing water pump and link pipe also had new seals in oil filter housing and new oil and filter and antifreeze etc,, it also had 16 new cam lifters genuine psa same as all the other parts genuine psa parts,,, and tomorrow will be fit cam and followers back in and fire it up for first time ,,, i just know its going sound and run nice as its also mapped to 210bhp ,, this should be finished by saturday, then i got a 2008 hatchback in next same sort of thing i fixed price refresh,, then when thats done got another booked in for 30th December ,,, normally i turn them around in a week as do them in my spare time

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Material property Font Auto part Plastic Cosmetics
Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Gas Camshaft Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting
Material property Font Auto part Plastic Cosmetics
Automotive air manifold Motor vehicle Gas Camshaft Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Automotive design Automotive wheel system Gas
Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bicycle part
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1 Posts
today saved the owner about £700 on exhaust by replacing both cats with euro 4 petrol cats form golf gti ie two cats up to 160bhp each and 2,0 so over kill,, also deleted the middle boxes for more sound track will have deep thunder noises out back now,,,
weekend i put back together a fiat abarth engine new rings and same sort a thing as do on mini's refresh,, started it ran for hour sounded not so good,,, then took for a run and all went peaceful again no nasty noises no smoke etc,, just shows after any car rebuild it takes a few runs to settle down same as mini's every one of them for first hour on idle sound a bit wrong but after a hour on idle to bed in then run up road for 10 miles no more than 3000 revs for first 500 miles good thing they all seem to get better with use, got a Peugeot rcz booked in for new year engine job same thing as same engine as cooper s
Mike can you message me regarding my Mini R55 need a timing chain & rebuild. Mob 07899701005

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
Mike can you message me regarding my Mini R55 need a timing chain & rebuild. Mob 07899701005
I have private messaged you

·
Registered
2 Posts
started on 2009 cooper s jcw convertible today really nice spec car even got the big brake pack and sat nav and black dash surrounds , car has 100,000 on it is running on 3 cylinders and like they go is number 1 cylinder causing the issue,, very common for this cylinder ie gearbox end also the plug is black with oil residue ie common when either oil control rings crack, or more common is the skirt of the piston gets blown apart from engine leaning out due to excess heat from other issues or a injector is faulty,, have ordered all the parts head gasket head bolts timing chain is under 5k so dont need doing the high pressure fuel pump only just done its got 4 new coil packs and new turbo as well,, ie someone has tried to fix the issues with running on 3 cylinders once again,, real issue is mechanical might be a valve issue,,, but only a total plum would not do piston rings at same time on these engines with 100k on it, its also got new 02 sensors but i think the cat is done from unburnt fuel pushed out of dead cylinder on to it,, tomorrow will be get it stripped,, head off pistons o out pump out all valves out and clean and lap valves out,
one concerning thing i noticed is the coolant is a nasty colour and all around it there is white dry powder residue,, in keeping with someone has used a bottle of head gasket repair called steel seal so will be checking for leaks, common is oil cooler on oil pump housing, also head gasket common with age on turbo cars . View attachment 279066 View attachment 279067 View attachment 279068
Where abouts in the country are you based?

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #138 ·

·
Registered
12,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
light at end of tunnel finally after many years I have not any waiting to be done refresh cars , perfect timing for summer me thinks, until the next wave lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
finally today put new piston rings on pistons and new big bearings and refitted the pistons,, i reused the conrod bolts and used reg extra strength thread lock and done them tight by feel done this many times never had a issue,, pics below shows the 3 piece oil rings these are the best by far on these engines,, the middle black ring as top marked on it must face top of piston and so does the shiny top ring,,, one ring is 2,0mm middle ring is 1.5mm and the two oil control rings are 0.5mm each you must set top two rings 180 degrees apart on their gaps, and do same on both oil rings as well,, the best ring compressor tool i have found is made by draper and is by far the best i have every had so easy every time they just push in to the bores,, you must use plenty of oil,, i use gearbox oil as is thick if dont have any rebuild oil handy, View attachment 279128 View attachment 279129 View attachment 279130 View attachment 279131 View attachment 279132
what is the fixed price . REG = SD59RJU MINI FIRST 1.4

121 - 140 of 142 Posts