MINI Cooper Forum banner
141 - 142 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
what i did notice on this car when stripping timing chain gear off it, it had a new chain within 10k chain was still well within tolerance so being reused as its a genuine chain kit with latest tensioner,, but who ever replaced it used thread lock on the cam shaft bolts and crankshaft bolt ,,, THIS IS A BIG NO NO DONT DO IT, ONLY LIGHTLY OIL BOLTS AND HOLES, reason is the stretch bolts are designed to be used one way only and need the lubrication to get the correct purchase on the sprockets and threads and likely down the road to cause issues,, ie the oil will turn dry over time this allows the threads to go dry and hold better where thread lock coats the treats and a unknown outcome, so best to do as factory do them,,
i also with head bolts lightly oil them, i also clean out all the threads and ;lightly oil them and the new bolts i then run them in and out each holes up and down,, reason is so the new bolts smooth out and will do up all way in to holes without that cracking noise where lock top tight ,, head bolts are set 20nm then 40nm then plus 90 degrees and further 90 degrees,
camshaft bolts on non turbo cars are set 20nm plus 180 degrees or 2x 90 degrees if easier as i do them,
the crankshaft bolts is set 40nm plus 120 degrees or as tight as a 4ft bar will let you,,
on turbo cars the exhaust camshaft bolts is smaller is set 20nm plus 120 degrees,
MUST DRY ALL CAM SPROKET SURFACES NO OIL OR GREASE AND SAME ON CRANK SPROCKETS AS WELL, i use brake cleaner and wrag,
What is your fixed price , mini first 1.4 2009

·
Registered
12,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
141 - 142 of 142 Posts