MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just bought a 2013 Mini One, it has an odd starting problem if you insert the key, push down clutch and press start button the engine runs very lumpy as if on one cylinder. If you insert the key press start without pressing the clutch the engine seems to go through a check cycle, if you then press the clutch down and press start it starts OK ! is this some double security problem that has just occurred it was not a problem yesterday. Would appreciate some help please. Bryan

· Registered
13,577 Posts
I have just bought a 2013 Mini One, it has an odd starting problem if you insert the key, push down clutch and press start button the engine runs very lumpy as if on one cylinder. If you insert the key press start without pressing the clutch the engine seems to go through a check cycle, if you then press the clutch down and press start it starts OK ! is this some double security problem that has just occurred it was not a problem yesterday. Would appreciate some help please. Bryan
thats a odd one, but will say that mini bmw use a thing called a CAS unit it works with the key and immobiliser and a number of other components including the starter solenoid and these play up for a past time below link for info .
i would treat the misfire as not the same thing maybe ie keep a open mind, so common around 60k need timing chain replacing. there is a recall for thermostat housing worth speaking to mini about if not car by them genuine for £119 will leave a link below these when fail will effect running and also can effect oil pressure as oil gets to hot and to thin this effects vanos sprockets and causes timing problems, need to scan it with live data run see what its doing and when etc,
thermostat update
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-...e:Mini&hash=item41d8e35f62:g:Q3UAAOSwgLlaXjxs
cas unit reoair
https://www.sinspeed.co.uk/cas3-immobiliser-repair/

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you but the car has only done 11k miles and if it was mechanical I would think the problem permanent, by attempting to start the car without depressing the clutch first the car then starts normally as if the management of other module needs to reset itself. Bryan.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.