MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone knew the part number for the Mini One 6 speed transmission.

Also if anyone knows if the 6 speed for the S and the 6 speed for the Mini One are interchangable. Indirectly, if the Mini one uses BMW tool 00 5 000 for the Seal installation drift.

Hope I'm not being too vague.

·
Clubman D
1,365 Posts
Xianqi,
I don't know what the part number is for the 6 speed, but have you tried doing a search on MINI2, I'm sure that knformation will be on here somewhere!
As for them being interchangeable, they are basically the same Gearbox, but the ratios are different on the Diesel from the CooperS to compensate for the very different Bhp/Torque figures of the two cars.

·
Registered
362 Posts
1st gear is lower on the diesel than on the cooper S. 2nd is about the same, while 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th are all higher on the diesel than on the cooper S.

The Getrag box has two layshafts, one for 3rd, 4th and reverse and the other for the rest. The final drive ratios, from the layshafts to the differential is going to be the same for both layshafts.

The diesel has a lower final drive ratio (higher gearing) and higher ratios (lower gearing) on 1st and 2nd. The % change through 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th is exactly the same on both cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies.

I tried some searches and didn't find the information I was after. My biggest complaint about my 2003 S is how slow it is off the line. So i was figuring the One D's transmission would help tremendously with that. My standard driving style (for freeway anyways is) 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th. I was thinking the lower overall ratio in 6th would help my gas milage a bit for just cruising on the freeway. If i wanted to have what is currently equivilant to 6th i could shift to 5th and if i wanted whats currently 5th (which i currently never use anyways) i'd shift to 4th.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getrag did confirm that the Mini One D and the Mini Cooper S use the Getrag type 285 transmission, unfortunately they aren't able to supply additional nformation and referred me back to BMW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts