MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I'm a new member here & will soon be driving my wife's R50 One as a daily commuter.
The reason being, is that we have just had a baby & the wife will be using my SEAT Leon 2.0 TDI as it has a far bigger boot!! ;)
Anyway, my Leon has a remap & panel filter for a few more extra horses.
What is the best way of extracting more power from the R50 1.6 engine (remap)? I understand that this is a de-tuned version of the R50 Cooper, so I'm expecting it to be about the same power levels when remapped.
Also, will an induction kit help? I didn't bother will an induction kit on my Leon, as there's no benefit over a panel filter in the standard airbox.
Cheers,

Jon

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Avoid a cone filter, go for a closed Cold air system.... A good quality panel filter will give you just as many horses really.

A remap is OK, make sure its from someone reputable though, as yes it is essencially a Cooper with a different map

The big power on the Cooper and ONE comes from 4 main areas.

1. Remap
2. Manifold and sports cat
3. Cam
4. Head

You can add bigger injectors and stuff but TBH given the limitations I have stated below, its probably not worth the bother really to go beyond panel and manifold or a remap.

However be wary of big power on the One and Cooper as the gearboxes are pretty pap (especially the Midland unit). Even the later model Getrag cars struggle to keep gearbox reliability on cars over 140bhp

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks the reply.
It's a Nov '02 One, so will probably have the early gearbox (which ever that one was?).
I must say, though, that the car hasn't missed beat since new. Only problem we've had was a coolant leak, which I traced back to a hole in the radiator side (stonechipped).

I've had a look around the site & noticed that the Superchips Bluefin is a popular remap.
Where's the best place to purchase this item?
It looks as though I'll go for a panel filter then (it'll save me a few notes as well!!).

Don't think I'll be going as far as a manifold/cam/flowed head, as I'm tuning it on a budget (rising fuel costs, new baby, etc!).

Thanks.

·
THE STICK
3,902 Posts
Shop the web, lots of places like awesome GTi do MINI stuff including the bluefins and panel filters etc.

Piper and KN are still very good IMO, Milltek do the best manifolds for Cooper personally and the bluefin is quite good on the ONE, and sounds fairly reliable. Once you go over that panel, manifold and bluefin, your into big cash and higher risks to the Midland garbox (thats the weak one fitted to early cars)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do Lohen offer any discount to forum members? :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just ordered a Bluefin directly from Superchips!
Should be here Friday at the latest. Can't wait to see what difference it makes!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Received the Bluefin yesterday & installed it today.
Made the engine a little more responsive at the bottom end but the big difference is at the higher end of the rev range.
It now wants to rev more freely above 4K rpm & keeps going 'til 6.5K rpm.

To be honest, I wasn't that impressed at first, as I'm used to 395Nm of torque that my Leon kicks out!!! But I soon realised that I was driving a petrol engine again & it needed to be revved! :)

Next on the list is a filter! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts