MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've a Mini One (51) somestimes it fails to start. When I turn the key nothing happens with the engine, the lights on the panel come up but that's about it, then when I turn if off again and then give it another it generally starts - does anyone know what that's all about. Has happened a few times just over the past few days. Did check the battery which appears to be charged, any other suggestions? It wouldn't be the alternator or a problem with the ignition? Thanks

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
If the lights come on the dash and then dim when you turn the key fully then it does sound like the symptoms you get when there isn't enough charge despite the fact you have checked the battery. This could be the battery charge is marginal or it could be a bad connection. I would beg steal or borrow a battery charger and make sure the battery is fully charged and check the battery connections. After this it gets difficult so do the simple stuff first. If the lights don't dim when you turn the key fully then the car isn't even attempting to start, probably a dealer needed at this stage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, lights don't appear to dim on the dash, but will charge the battery up and see what happens. Don't suppose really wet weather would cause problems.

It would just be like it for another thing to be wrong with the mini, have had the radiator, the head gasket and a couple of other things changed on it already!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Try wiggling the key when you turn it to start. Heard someone else say they had a dirty connection on the position 2 part of the ignition key which would cause the engine to not start on the first attempt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mini Working So Far

Had the battery changed on the mini today, what a difference it has made. It had been proving difficult to start intermittently but appears to have solved the problem now, thankfully it wasn't the starter motor.;);)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts