MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Currently about to buy a 2002 mini (Japanese import). The car was advertised on-line as mini-cooper. However, on the test drive, I noticed the tag on the back was a mini-one.

As far as I can see, the price difference between a 2002 mini-one and a mini-cooper is €1000.

Still willing to buy the car, because it's in absolute mint condition, but wanted a reduction in price.

But the dealer says "That in Japan, the Mini one is the mini cooper, and that it does cause him a bit of hassle explaining this"

Can someone please please please please tell me, is there a way of checking if he's telling the truth.

Thank you in advance
fpryan77

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was in Japan recently and went to a mini dealer - they all looked the same as in the UK to me. Also saw a fair few driving around and there were ones and coopers, as i was teaching my GF how to spot a one from a cooper - she got pretty good at it.

I'd say the dealer was being a little less than straight with you - but happy to be proved wrong.....

http://www.tokyo-motorshow.com/show/2003/eng/PUBLIC/boothguide/BMW.html

This link from Tokyo 2003 would appear to agree with me

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Definitely different cars. The Cooper and S are still popular cars in Japan, bothe the old and new versions, One's were sold there too but it was not a big seller. Many Japanese cars over 4 + years old seem to be resold for export for some reason. If its in good condition its a decent price whatever it is

·
6X therapist
13,907 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Japanese models have uprated alternators etc?
Lots of little differences on Jap spec cars, the most annoying is the radio which won't perform on UK wavebands, so has to be changed in some way for Euro reception I think.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Many Japanese cars over 4 + years old seem to be resold for export for some reason.
The Japanese version of the MOT Test is extremely difficult, and often costly, to get through, so most people sell their cars before they get to that age and buy a new one. Most of them end up around Asia, but quite a few make it as far as us as RHD makes them easy to sell.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Lots of little differences on Jap spec cars, the most annoying is the radio which won't perform on UK wavebands, so has to be changed in some way for Euro reception I think.
We had a new X-Trail delivered a few months back that had accidentally been fitted with a Japanese spec radio. The FM wavebands start somewhere around 60 and finish at 90, so you can only get Radio 2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts