MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
received another one today for refresh i had head off in a couple of hours or so , found heavy oil burning , the exhaust ports and cat pipes are restricted from oil burning residue all spark plugs are pure white in colour and so is 02 sensors not seen one this bad for a while that runs so well, except for the james bond style smoke screen of course.. bores have slight wear and will hone,, also found timing chain stretched by at lease 3 teeth and chain tensioner at max travel, on a good point no residue in oil control solonoid screens good sign that will refresh well, also found the vvt motor teeth badly worn sharp that can cut if not careful, intermolar do new vvt steppa motors a lot cheaper than bmw, also found at some point it had a refurb cylinder head so a max thick gasket will be fitted, as can see how the vvt motors wear from pics the tops of the teeth should be 2-3mm flat and nor razor sharp,, if not replaced it will lock up and prevent the valves from coming back to short reach and then a piston will hit the valve and that will push a upright cam follower through the rocker cover ,, worst case is bent valves and holes in pistons, also the motors are shimmed and must be set with diagnostics positions,,, i also found gearbox drive shaft oil leak and oil filter housing to block oil leak and vac pump,
Musical instrument Engineering Auto part Machine Nail
Motor vehicle Automotive design Camshaft Engineering Automotive air manifold
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Car Automotive air manifold
Gas Automotive wheel system Auto part Motor vehicle Machine

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW YOU WORK QUICK AFTER I LEFT THAT CAR WAS NOT EVEN IN THE GRAGE WHEN I LEFT LOL
ha ha thought you might realise that, i went home at 3ish just before,, then watched F1 for hour or so , then got dragged out kicking and screaming to take daughters out to get some pet rats ,, total random day lol, think I had head off in 2 hours

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
done a bit more today pulled all pistons out all cleaned un bores honed and latest spec Peugeot piston rings fitted to pistons, ie a single piece oil ring that is solid and not made of plastic like the old crap bmw ones, also the other two rings are a black hardened material should handle the heat better, i also pulled head apart cleaned then lapped in valves and head and fitted new stem seals,, ready to go back on,,
Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Gas Machine
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Cookware and bakeware Bumper Gas
Motor vehicle Camshaft Gas Cylinder Engineering
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Gas Automotive wheel system Automotive tire
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive engine gasket Engineering Gas Machine Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
2011 Mini all4 cooper s
169 Posts
Nice work again mike thanks for the advice and diagnosis of my knackered turbo to it's going in on thursday to be done lol had a look when i got back yesterday but decided i did not have the time or the inclanation to do it when i saw the position of some of the bolts so turbo will be here with the pipes and o-ring tomorrow again excellent service from neo again how you lay on your back and undo some of those i will never know but well done

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work again mike thanks for the advice and diagnosis of my knackered turbo to it's going in on thursday to be done lol had a look when i got back yesterday but decided i did not have the time or the inclanation to do it when i saw the position of some of the bolts so turbo will be here with the pipes and o-ring tomorrow again excellent service from neo again how you lay on your back and undo some of those i will never know but well done
was thinking as well that white wispy smoke from crank case was from the oil on the hot turbo bearing going in to crank case when you shut car down,, prob find that old 12 volt aux water pump I changed when done the refresh prob helped damage the turbo from lack of coolant around it,, I dont mind laying down to do stuff and having impact gun and electric ratchet helps a lot,, also handy having a carpet fitter on end of estate i keep barrowing his thrown away carpet to lay on then when it gets really dirty I put it back in his skip and loan another piece lol,, i call it recycle on loan lol,,

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
love these reports,toying with tackling the oil filter housing seals on the wifes countryman but need to pluck up a bit more courage
easy way is engine off the driver side mount then jack engine up and backwards gain access to front of engine better that way ,, you will need to pull the tins off turbo and cat , remove cat and back tin to gain access to the 8mm bolts around it,, ALSO MUST DRAIN COOLANT BEFORE OR IT WILL END UP IN OIL AND SUMP,, I pull bottom hose off rad and then blow hard in to header tank helps get rid of most of coolant ,,, if you have a spare £160 its worth changing the housing complete as there is a known issue with them and oil pressure from what I have seen on line,

Reactions: peter2704

·
Registered
2011 Mini all4 cooper s
169 Posts
Yeah that makes sense with the smoke so hopefully the new turbo will have plenty of oil and the aux pump will help it when i shut it down funny as well no probs doing 80 on way back home untill i cme to a hill then straight back to about 60 but Respect to all that lying on your back and not having a ramp just a trolly jack and axel stands (y)

·
Registered
12,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah that makes sense with the smoke so hopefully the new turbo will have plenty of oil and the aux pump will help it when i shut it down funny as well no probs doing 80 on way back home untill i cme to a hill then straight back to about 60 but Respect to all that lying on your back and not having a ramp just a trolly jack and axel stands (y)
did have a open plan unit when roof got blown off lol cant have it all,,,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts