MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I’ve sort of inherited a mini one r56 2009.
I had to replace the clutch recently, brakes and discs all round, new tyres and also had to repair an oil leak. All of which were very costly!

The last piece of major work I want to complete is a knocking issue, which I believe is related to the bushings on the suspension? I think this was highlighted in the recent MOT. Oh and the A/C is broken and I think is leaking.
Once I have this fixed I want to try and fix some of the remaining issues myself. Starting with the boot open mechanism, then the auto engine cut off, when in neutral, which doesn’t currently work. The other issue is it’s needs an oil change and a general service.
I consider myself to be pretty handy, I know a bit about cars, mainly cleaning them!
I wanted to see if I could get some guidance on what things I should try myself and what things I should really leave to the experts.
Cheers
Don

· Registered
13,570 Posts
the start stop is a sign of aging battery most likely why, just heads up if the battery goes flat from worn out it can causes a lot of damage to ecu's i got one outside now where owner i told him last year battery is not well hs answer was it still starts the car so its fine, first really cold day zaps battery and now its broken ecu and it cant be fixed needs a clone one or a £1800 bmw main dealers repair, if you do anything going forward that battery needs testing replacing first job, also battery will need to be registered to the car with diagnostics tool

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the start stop is a sign of aging battery most likely why, just heads up if the battery goes flat from worn out it can causes a lot of damage to ecu's i got one outside now where owner i told him last year battery is not well hs answer was it still starts the car so its fine, first really cold day zaps battery and now its broken ecu and it cant be fixed needs a clone one or a £1800 bmw main dealers repair, if you do anything going forward that battery needs testing replacing first job, also battery will need to be registered to the car with diagnostics tool
Wow ok so get the battery replaced asap. Assume it’s not a case of disconnecting and putting a new battery in myself? Any recommendations on what battery to avoid? Was thinking of buying myself and getting mechanic to fit it.
Thanks for your help with this
Don

· Registered
13,570 Posts
Wow ok so get the battery replaced asap. Assume it’s not a case of disconnecting and putting a new battery in myself? Any recommendations on what battery to avoid? Was thinking of buying myself and getting mechanic to fit it.
Thanks for your help with this
Don
i use lucas battery's from mpd 4 year warranty and not to expensive , you must order on reg of car to ensure get the correct one

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i use lucas battery's from mpd 4 year warranty and not to expensive , you must order on reg of car to ensure get the correct one
Thanks Mike I really appreciate that. There’s not a MPD near me but I think I found one on GSF, a yuasa. Typed my reg and it supports stop/start. I read that if the negative end of the cable doesn’t have a box on it, then it means I can just swap the batteries over? Some kind of control box I believe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts