MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was thinking about remapping my 2002 Mini One. I previously only had Cooper and Cooper S cars and so missing a little more power. I was thinking about using A1 Remapping in Hull.
Any thoughts /advices would be appreciated.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
honestly waste of money unless you have had a load of engine work even then wont get much more,, best option and cheapest is buy a cooper s r53, or but so expensive after market super charger or turbo rework, non boost fed engines dont tend to map very well as always are running to the limits of designs these days

· Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your honest response. I actually stayed away from R53 as they are more trouble than they are and too expensive to run. I love my R50 but just missing the power of previous cars I have had.

· Registered
13 Posts
Lohen do superchip packages for the Mini One which includes a hand held device for remapping your vehicle. The kit also comprises of a set of iridium plugs and a Piper Cross air filter. Lohen claim this kit ups the horse power to 130 which is a very noticeable gain on the Mini One. Priced at £300 I'd say it's pretty good value for money.

· Registered
4 Posts
I fitted the Lohen kit to my Mini One, really made a difference above 4,000rpm, I also had a Millek exhaust system.

It's the Blufin that makes the difference as the One is a 'restricted' Cooper with 90bhp so the remap brings it to a similar level the Cooper - supposed to be a bit over!

I've also got a Cooper S with reduced pulley, IC and all the other usual stuff nice car but I think the One was more fun for driving everyday on it's 175 tyres.

· Registered
2005 R53, 2005 R53 lightweight, 2008 R55S, 2012 R58 FJCW, 2014 R60SD All4, 1996 Mini Cooper 35SE.
1,632 Posts
The Mini One or Cooper can respond well to a performance camshaft swap actually, there are several options available for this depending on what you might want to do or achieve, if you fancy going down this path. A mild camshaft might do ok with something like the Bluefin which on your car will also give you full throttle which is the only difference between a One and the Cooper, bar the exhaust cat back I think, and it will run smoothly with no driveability issues. A Bluefin isn't really recommended by those tuning for even more power, with it's generic maps it isn't really regarded by some as engine safe, no generic map is on the R53 really.

I believe some that say not to tune a N/A Mini like these fitted with the Tritec engine, possibly haven't done it. Mine went quite well and back then only had an Autologic generic map with a fast road cam I was testing and a K&N filter element, not recommended on skinny 'T' rated tyres haha, but it was unassuming and also quite fun, that was a 2005 facelift One. If I'd added stuff I that I have now on my 53 for that car it would have been great fun, it drove straight to 130+ then without a custom tune that it should've had really, not exactly slow, great on motorways as for what it was it just cleared off.

When you consider R53 engine parts fit the One engine too there is more that can be done to build on the performance that a camshaft alone might give, JCW head maybe, forged parts etc.

A tuned naturally aspirated car can be a real hoot.

· Registered
13,593 Posts
lightened flywheel and a 8k camshaft port the head raised the rev cut out to 8200 revs those newman camshafts are very good totally change where the engine makes power ie more revs more momentum at top end screamer also decat and rolling road time to change where it fuels hardest etc, this all said its still restricted to how many air molecule's can be sucked in when a forced induction can have so many more

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.