MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,could someone please give me some advice.I am planning to order a mini one for next march.But i cant decide which tyres to get.Should i go for the 15"tyres which come with the pepper pack,or should i go for the 16"195/55 R16 Run flat tyres?I want the car to handle well on the road,but at the same time dont want too much of a bumpy ride.Would really appreciate the advice.Thanks :confused:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would say the 16s are the best compromise between ride quality and handling. In my opinion they also look much better than the 15s. The downside to them obviously is that they will end up costing you slightly more, but i say its money well spent go for the 16 inchers!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mini one tyre query

Thanks for the advice.Will having 16"tyres make the steering heavier?I also think the 16"look much nicer but just a bit worried when i read various threads which stsated how bumpt the ride was with larger tyres.

·
Obsessive Not Compulsive
413 Posts
The 16" tires being wider will give a slightly heavier steering feel compared to the narrow 15" tires.
I just mounted a set of stock Cooper S 16" wheels & tires on my Cooper and that is my impression.
It is not a huge difference but it is noticeable. Also the ride quality suffers a little compared to the 15's but I believe this to be due to the run-flat sidewalls of the 16's.
Ride quality is fine on the highways, but around town it is bumpier - my teenage Son notices this from the passenger seat!

·
Registered
708 Posts
I think which ever wheels you choose you will get used to the ride quality over time. Ive been running 18s and lowered for a while now, it was noticeably different at first but you soon get used to it and then it becomes the norm!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I swapped my 15" to 16" about three months ago & its smiles all round ever since.

The 16" hold the road far better & the ride feels firmer, the steering is a bit heavier, but this makes it feel far more planted on the road.

Compared to 17" which I found were harsh & tram lined quite badly on my Bro's S I found that the 16" are a good balance between handling & ride.

The 16" weigh more too, which might slow the acceleration down compared to the 15", but I cannot say I have noticed.

Go for the 16"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.