MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my mothers mini one 02 plate when engine is turning over will not start. doesnt happen very offten 1 in 10 maybe. and when you turn the key fast and let go because you think its gunna start easy like it should do the starter motor wont engage after that and you hear it just hitting the flywheel. And after this the odometer resets to 0.
strange problem
Thinking an electrical fault but i dont know where to look.

please respond.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Does it just make a clicking noise when it doesn't engage the starting motor and everything on the dashboard resets?

if so it's more than likely the battery needs recharging or replacing.

If it only does short journeys it sometimes isn't sufficent in cold weather to keep the battery topped up to a decent charge to turn over the engine.

My mini only does about 6 miles in the morning and then the same back in the evening and doesn't get too many long runs and I had similar problems. I now trickle charge it over night in the garage on cold nights and it has fixed the problem.

I have to start it once in the morning in the garage to take it out on to the road and then again a few minutes later once I have locked up the house. It was just too much drain on the battery the second time and it would click when you turn the key and all the dash lights would flash and the odometer and clock would reset, it would still start though, under protest.

That was 3 years ago and still on the same battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try this

I had a similar problem. Turns out the battery leads were lose and one kept "sliding" off. The randomness of it was really annoying. Next time it won't start, wiggle the battery leads (metal things attached to the battery...should have bolts attached) and see if they are connected.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts