MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gone Old School
745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the introduction of the new form of Low Sulfur Diesel into Australia early next year do you think we will see the Introduction of the MOD to Australia?

I really would seriously consider it. Look a the Diesel forum.. they are getting something rediculas like averaging 700-800klms per tank and claim that on long distance crusing they could possibly get close to 1000klms a tank.
FARK!!!!! im lucky to get half that!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I dont see why not, but only time will tell. Other car manufacturers have released diesel based engines - so i dont see why Mini wouldnt want their piece of the pie too :D

PS. if they do release one, i hope they'd hurry up, because the way petrol prices are going up these days i dont think id be able to afford anything but a MOD

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
They might not be bringing it over....for a start, they don't sell a large number of Mini's in the first place and hardly anyone will consider diesel. It doesn't make much sense to spend a truckload to get the car ADR approved when they aren't likely to recoup the cost.

Just get a MC and don't stomp on the accelerator :(

·
The Silverado
800 Posts
yeah.. VW and Audi have diesel engines now... the golf and A3 diesel have crazy tourque too!!! and claim to do 1000km per tank
they are turbo diesel i think though... i guess its possibly MINI D could come out..

my opinion is that it wont make an apperance here because i dont think there would be enough demand for 3 MINI models. dont think aus has the population numbers for it..
BUT i dont know anything! and thats just a guess:)

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
I'm not sure MINI Aus would bother with the effort given the size of the market really...

I have a lot of respect for turbo dieslel cars though - the 2 litre Golf V TDi is a cracker!

·
Being normal is not fun!
3,920 Posts
I'm actually surprised that MINI don't bring in the Mini One... I'm sure if they set it at a price point of ~$25000ish then they'd sell a lot. Actually, I don't want that happening - it'll lower the "exclusivity factor" of owning a Mini, and encourage more yuppies to buy them.

·
Twincharge???
2,227 Posts
There's already way too many Mini's on the road, it's like heaps of people wearing the same clothes as you....yikes.

It will be fun if they get a One, strip some of the airbags, strip the aircond, chuck in 15" steel wheels instead of mags and price it at $19990 drive away, half of those Jazz or Corolla wouldn't be on the road today :p they would be driving a Mini instead.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
dairyboy said:
They might not be bringing it over....for a start, they don't sell a large number of Mini's in the first place and hardly anyone will consider diesel. It doesn't make much sense to spend a truckload to get the car ADR approved when they aren't likely to recoup the cost.

Just get a MC and don't stomp on the accelerator :(
Agreed, not sure if there would be the demand in Australia to sell enough MOD's to make the effort worthwhile.

Haha, as Tim says the 2.0 TDi in the Mk5 Golf with 103kW/320Nm is supposed to be a gem, visit Mr Oettinger and take the thing to 130kW/380Nm and it's sure to be a gem! :cool:

·
Track Addict
2,622 Posts
Hi,

I seriously doubt we will see a mini diesel.

BMW is starting to introduce diesels, but the emphasis will be on high performance models, eg turbos

I have had the opportunity to drive the X5 turbo diesel, and I was seriously impressed. This thing hauls like you wouldn't believe :D :D :D The low rev pull is incredible ;)

Apparrently, according to my sources, there is a waiting list of around 6-8months for the turbo diesel X5, which is much longer than the V8 4.4 or S6 3.0l version.

I would be prepared to bet that the next diesel we see is a 5 series with the same engine as the X5.

I personally wouldn't buy one yet, as the standard of diesel fuel in Oz is absolute crap :eek: You can go to a big brand shell or BP and buy optimax or ultimate 98 RON petrol and you know what you are getting. Unfortunately, the quality of diesel fuel is hugely variable, and at the worst downright toxic to your engine.

Cheers

Robbo

·
MININUTTTA
54 Posts
robbo mcs said:
Hi,

I seriously doubt we will see a mini diesel.

BMW is starting to introduce diesels, but the emphasis will be on high performance models, eg turbos

I have had the opportunity to drive the X5 turbo diesel, and I was seriously impressed. This thing hauls like you wouldn't believe :D :D :D The low rev pull is incredible ;)

Apparrently, according to my sources, there is a waiting list of around 6-8months for the turbo diesel X5, which is much longer than the V8 4.4 or S6 3.0l version.

I would be prepared to bet that the next diesel we see is a 5 series with the same engine as the X5.

I personally wouldn't buy one yet, as the standard of diesel fuel in Oz is absolute crap :eek: You can go to a big brand shell or BP and buy optimax or ultimate 98 RON petrol and you know what you are getting. Unfortunately, the quality of diesel fuel is hugely variable, and at the worst downright toxic to your engine.

Cheers

Robbo
What you say is true.

* MINI Australia don't have any plans of introducing the MINI diesel. Reasons are that they want to keep a certain profile with the MINI in Australia which is different in other contries.
* Australia seems to have a shortage in provision of diesel motors thus creating lengthly delays eg. X5 Diesel orders in general out to 2nd quater of next year. And because diesel motors are of such high demand in others countries compounded by the total available diesel motors worldwide, it seems as though Australia misses out not only on MINI, but other BMW brands as mentioned by Robbo. I'm sure if this could change, they may look at Oz in another light......but do they really want to......no one really knows their real marketing plan.
* Lastly it's correct we officially have one of the most average grades of diesel fuel in the world which would leave the cars in a second-rate performance/reliability circumstance as apposed to other countries.

Tom. ;) ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.