MINI Cooper Forum banner

BMW or MINI

• Bought it because it was a MINI.

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Bought it because it was a BMW.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • Bought it because I liked the styling.

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • All the above.

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • Don't care what it's called, just like the car.

Votes: 49 32.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Addicted to Speed!!
4,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered how many of you out there bought/buying your car because it's a MINI or a BMW or you just liked the car. I personaly bought the car because I fell in love with the looks/styling/interior and because it was manufactured by BMW. The MINI name was a bonus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmmm Tricky one.

We bought the car cos it looks good, drives well, is built in Britain, with (hopefully) BMW build quality.

I don't really care that it is a 'BMW' or even a Mini(well maybe a bit;)), in that if it had an Audi, VW or even Rover badge we probably would have bought one. If it had a Nissan, Toyota, or Mazda badge, I certainly would not. Sorry I just don't like jap cars(no logical reason, just don't like 'em).

Griff

·
MINI2 Global Moderator
4,566 Posts
I have to say that I probably would have bought one no matter whatever... I loved my old mini and being in the market for a new car, the new MINI was the perfect progression for me. Like many others on here, I ordered mine before test driving it. :D

·
Astronaut
572 Posts
I bought it because it IS a MINI, it has BMW engineering AND it is NOT a BMW... :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered it because I liked the car. A big part of its appeal is the Mini styling theme and the whole cheeky image of the original Mini.

Although MINI is owned by BMW, a Skoda has more in common with a VW than the new Mini has with a BMW. From what I've read, Rover did most of the design and development.

·
puckstopper
4,260 Posts
Red and White Cooper said:
From what I've read, Rover did most of the design and development.
Indeed, this subject was a hot topic on some of the MG boards a while back. Some disgruntled MG Rover engineers (as well as some ex-Rover, now BMW-UK engineers) did not take kindly to the PR spiel from BMW when the MINI was finally launched, spiel which claimed that following the Rover divorce, BMW in Munich had radically re-engineering the car to bring it up to their standards. A BMW enthusiast colleague of mine brought in a copy of one of his BMW magazines (I think it was "Bimmer") which had a few articles on the MINI. One of the articles carried on at great length about how much of a marvel it was that BMW was able to re-design the car to bring it up to snuff in such a short period of time. One Munich-based BMW engineer even told Automotive News Europe that BMW had to change every fastener on the car over to metric because Rover had designed the car using imperial units (never mind the reality that Rover had converted over to metric back in the 70's when they were still British Leyland).

I'm sure BMW made *some* changes, but by most insider accounts, the car on sale now is more or less the same one Rover designed, the development was about 95% done when BMW took over the project, then most of the final development work was done by Ricardo PLC (no relation ;) ) in the West Midlands. I think all this talk of BMW putting their own imprimatur on the car is about 5% fact and 95% marketing; For many consumers (in the U.S. at least), British cars have a reputation for being fun, having a lot of character, and being about as reliable and well built as a broken watch. BMW is in this to make money, they want to sell cars, so it is in BMW's best interest to try to associate the MINI with a BMW level of design and build quality, not the perceived Rover / British Leyland / Sterling / BMC / MG / Triumph / etc. level of design and build quality. Good for marketing in some respects, bad for marketing in other respects; They have really alienated some fans of the old Minis, MGs, etc.

I've no doubt some Mini driver gave a MINI driver the finger, as described in another thread on this board. Be quite clear on this point; Within the classic British car scene, there is a very definite element which is actively hostile toward the MINI. They may be the minority, but they are there, and they are the loudest ones. I'm not a big BMW fan, but the bitterness toward the MINI engendered by the Rover divorce seems a bit misguided to me. I've read all sorts of vile nasty descriptions of the car on some of the classic British car boards I frequent, many seem unable to resist using this debate to trot out tired old WW2 era grudges, making this a stale old "Huns vs. Old Blighty" debate. I've actually seen multiple posts referring to the MINI as "Germany's latest attempt to reverse the result of WW2". Here's a snip from an actual recent post on one of these boards, posted under the title "The sweet smell of desperation":

But there was a very unusual pop-up ad at the top today..

By clicking on this you were entitled to a free air freshner. Ever curious, I clicked, and lo, it led me to straight a marketing site for the BMiniW, where they banged on about the "Mini adventure" were eager for my details, and when I was looking to change my car, etc, and then, and then only, would I be entitled to the said fragrance-emitting appliance!

I have seen desperate advertising for cars before, but that takes the biscuit. As you all know, I always said the whole thing stinks......

This is the sort of thing I'm talking about. Yes, there really are people who insist on calling it the "BMiniW". The point is, these posts carry on about what a horrible farce the car is, how it is a pale shadow of the "real" Mini, how it is a marketing sham. Never mind the fact that if the car was being pumped out by MG Rover's plant in Longbridge instead of BMW's plant in Oxford, most of these same people would be tripping over themselves to drape it in the Union Jack and hailing it as the latest British classic. Curious that they don't assail the Aston Martin Vanquish (or Jaguar, Bentley, Rolls, and Lotus) with the same venom they reserve for the MINI, yet all of these marques are foreign owned as well. In fact, one could argue that in terms of design, development, and engineering, the MINI is much more British than the Jag S Type and X Type. But that's a debate for another day.

Bottom line: I'm an MG enthusiast and a British car fan. I own two MGBs, I'm on the list for a MINI Cooper S. I'm not buying it because it's part of the BMW family, if anything I'm buying it in spite of the fact that it is part of the BMW family (I'll admit it, I've got some residual bitterness about BMW's treatment of my beloved MG, I won't pretend otherwise). I have no interest in being part of any sort of BMW club or any such thing. I bear BMW owners no malice, I know they are a fine automobile, but I'm a British car nut, not a BMW nut. Since the first time I started being interested in cars, long before I could drive, I wanted two cars; An MGB and a Mini. I've got the MGB, soon I'll have a MINI, and then I'll be a happy camper.

(stepping off soapboax)

-Ricardo

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree with R1. I own a 2000 BMW 323i and love it, but want something smaller and more sporting. The Cooper S hits the spot! This is a great looking car and engineered by BMW w/ the infamous MINI name... how can you go wrong?:p

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bought it because I like the way it looks - glad it's got BM 'tradition' for quality to upkeep - absolutely made up it doesn't wear a BM badge...

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts
Well MINI or Bmw

1 Made in the UK

2 90% designed by the British

3 Made by a British workforce

4 Funded by German money

Bmw build quality yes and no

The reason we purchased our cooper was we liked the style,handling,price,and we are more than happy with it since,however when you read some of the stories on here about build quality it does make you wonder.

And no I am not being negative so dont flame me

·
JCW time
18,905 Posts
Difficult to anewer this one, I had always wanted a 'proper' mini, but for one reason or another, not the least of which was I did not fit them very well, I never owned one. When I first saw the new MINI at the motor show in Birmingham I actually did not like it that much, I still hate those holey alloy wheels with a passion, but as my wife has a 3 series we started to get info through the post and got invited to the launch and actully managed to blag a test drive on the day, this is the only time being a BMW owner actually did us any favoiurs. To shorten this I absolutely loved the way the car drove and just had to have one. Only downside is the build quality which is not bril in places, the front seats being a prime example.

Neil

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
who cares what its called its a great car.

I don't know what MGB boy said about it I will read it later when I have an hour to spare.HaHa

·
Registered
26 Posts
MGB Boy said:

<snippage>

For many consumers (in the U.S. at least), British cars have a reputation for being fun, having a lot of character, and being about as reliable and well built as a broken watch.

whitness my old Triumph TR4a. When it got hauled away for the last time, the floor board below the drivers seat had well, gotten lost. I'll tell you, it's "exciting" driving at 45mph looking down at the road passing under you. ;)

Skip

·
Registered
213 Posts
BMW or MINI??

I like the MINI because it is different and represents fun in an otherwise serious world.

I went to a BMW dealer to buy a BMW and fell in love with the MINI concept. Well done to Rover for having the vision.

However, if it had been on display in a Rover dealer, it would have been unlikely that I would have ever visited the dealership showroom.

I am hoping that BMW provide the quality support to MINI owners as they do to BMW owners.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I went to my BMW dealer to purchase a BMW as they are the Ultimate Drving Machine. After a very brief test drive of a BMW MINI however my mind was soon changed when I saw the way people stared at me, I must also add now mine has being delivered the driving experience is also very good.

I certainly would not have even entertained purchasing a MINI had it been built by Rover,it would simply have fallen to pieces around me and then rusted away.... NO GOOD! Plus it is unlikely a Rover Mini would have being as good to drive or as well styled and engineered!

·
In exile, down SOUTH!
13,201 Posts
I like the car because it is a well-built small car with a cute look and quirky interior styling. It happens to be called a MINI (or baby BMW or whatever). :cool:

·
TT or not TT
3,064 Posts

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
R1 said:
By the way. We are a hated bunch. I found the rantings of a angry woman called Gypsy on a Virgin.net chatboard about the new MINI. Sounds like a nice girl .... NOT!! :confused:

http://discussion.virgin.net/cgi-bin/[email protected]^[email protected]/0
Wow!!. Not nice at all.... why are they all so cranky.......

PS. Just a small point. Had the MINI been built by Toyota, I would still probably had ordered an "S". On the same hand I'd probably be driving it by now too!!!....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts