MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys...

i know this is a mini site and all but im considering my options...
wat do u guys rekon?

a chilli pack MC or a 2.0FSI golf sportline? any suggestions?
i like the power from the golf but i love the looks and the handling of the mini...just want to see wat u guys think. ull prbs say get the MCS but im looking at the price range..

thanks guys!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mini every time Golfs = boring - I have had a few and no sense of occasion. MK5 is step down in quality terms from MKIV but does handle pretty well

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
Welcome. :)

Stever,

Baed on residual values alone, - buy the MINI. :cool:

If you lived a hundred thousand more lifetimes you could buy the Golf & quietly go about swaying to & fro... A field of daisies.

We're all lucky the MINI is here now. Fresh from the cocoon, - a new, re-existence, individualized just like you, Steve. Bend toward the light, soak it up & drop petals in perfectly individualized ways. Grow MINI. ;)

·
cristo
2,887 Posts
Actually, I like mini golf. ;) :D :p Never cared for regular golf. But concerning the cars,
of course I'd go for the MINI.

·
Range Rover SDV8!
Range Rover SDV8, Triumph Tiger & Triumph Trophy
5,172 Posts
And the answer is...

It depends what your looking for really.

If you want a sensible, non descript, family hatchback that won't attract any attention buy the Golf. Look upon it in the way that most people would buy a fridge or a washing machine and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. From what I have read in JD Power and The Consumer's Association magazine I would be a bit concerned about investing the money in one though..

The MINI, on the other hand, will be a little less practical (smaller boot, less rear room - particularly leg room) but the car has a real soul to it. It's a car that you can get interested in. It has a great cult around it and a real social scene. I get a POSH Volvo estate with my job, but if anyone asks me what I drive - I tell them I've got a MINI Cooper.

If you can get enthusiastic about driving, get the MINI; if you need the car as transport and aren't particularly bothered, get the Golf. If you really can't be bothered at all - go and get an Astra!

Tigger

·
going or coming?
1,215 Posts
I was asking this quesiton a year ago Golf 1.8 Turbo GTI or MCS. I obviously went for the MCS - for all of Tiffer's reasons and because I had been in a Honda for the past 10 years after having an OLD Porsche, and I really wanted a car with a soul again. The MINI has a soul (not as big as the old Porsche, but the MINI starts every day).

·
saving the world
2,896 Posts
A 2.0FSI Golf V will perform better than a MINI Cooper will. And the person who said that the Golf V is a step down in quality from the Golf IV is deluded, this simply isn't true.

It really does depends on what you want. If you want something more run of the mill, relaxing to drive, with a bit of poke, the Golf will suit you.

If you want something that is a bit different, fun to drive, slightly less practical, and has a bit of character, get a MINI.

I think Tigger summed it up pretty well in his post above

·
Registered
799 Posts
2.0Tdi........before MC. Try the diesel it is mind blowing.
But MCS before both of course.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
cristo said:
Actually, I like mini golf. ;) :D :p
You rang! :D

Agree with IML337 and Tigger et al. Also keep in mind that in the Australian market I would think that residual values for a Golf 2.0FSI and MINI Cooper will probably be very similar.

I've not driven a Mk5 yet, but the MCS [email protected] over my old Mk4 GTI as a drivers car. It really depends on what you want (cheeky fun v practical quality) as in many ways the MINI and the Golf are simply not comparable.

Either way you'll have ready made friends here or at VWvortex. :cool:

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I've owned both so hopefully can give an un-biased opinion ;)

MINI - excellent fun to drive, great looks. Build quality of mine at least was terrible. 10 trips to the garage in two years and it still had faults when I got rid of it. It was this that stopped me putting my money into another. The latest ones are a lot better built though as each time I got one as a courtesy car they seemed a lot better so I will definitely consider another in the future. If I won the lottery I'd probably go and buy one now as a second car.

The MINI does hold it's value well, but not as well as before. Just look at the people of here trying to sell them at good prices privately because their dealer is offering a lot less for them now than they once were. In the UK at least there are loads of second hand ones at dealerships they values must have dropped.

What Car mag in the UK is quoting 70% residuals for the MINI and 60% for the Golf after 3 years/36k miles.

GOLF mkV - Still excellent to drive. The ride/handling combination is excellent. It really is a comfortable place to be. As a daily driver car the Golf wins hands down. The build quality compared to my MINI is way better. No rattles which drove me mad in the MINI - again though I am sure the latest cars are a big improvement.

To sum up I'd say both are excellent cars and you won't go far wrong with either. So take a long test drive of both to see what suits you best.

Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Blimey Ken, long time no hear :)

I'm in a bit of the same boat at the moment, looking between keeping my S or getting a TDi Golf V for long distance travel. I've driven the Golf and it is VERY comfortable, the ride is good and the (albeit limtited) time I've had driving one I found it quite a good handling car, much better than the MK4 and 3 Golf. However, there was more roll, but then it didn't thud over bumps like my S, nor did it follow the camber (which is down to my car beginning to need new tyres, the run flats and the big alloys). On the downside, it's a very standard looking car and you can't tell a 1.4 Golf to a 2.0 GT TDI which cost a lot more. The standard kit is quite good, and options are not that expensive, you don't need to spend too much to get a well specced one (or pick up an ex demo car).

My view? If I wasn't doing the miles I would not even be looking elsewhere. I adore my S and actually got quite upset (in a manly way!) about the thought of having to sell it. So I came to the conclusion I'd keep it for another 6 months, see what state I'm in then and if I decide i need something more comfortable, then I'll do it then. The Mini is a great looking, character car that drives as good as anything this side of 30K, The Golf is a comfortable, annonymous car which also drives well, but not in a pure driving joy way the mini does.

As an aside, I reckon the MK4 was better looking than the MK5.

Good luck with the choice!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had a mark v GT TDI for all of ten days at the start of last month - rejected and rejection willingly accepted by dealer due to inherent design fault on GT TDI model which causes the most irritating whining noise. Also had cabin full of rattles. Check UK MK IV'S MK forum for full details of the poor build quality of the MK compared with MK IV - trim materials not as good as on MK IV just try moving your seat back and you will see what I mean when your hand touches plastic the quality of which would be more at home inside a Korean vehicle.

To sum up I would say that the Golf is anonymous, inoffensive with no soul but also not as well built with the quality of materials you would expect from VW. It all started to go wrong in 2002 with latest polo - just check out the cup holder!!

I now have an S which does have rattles but also a personality which allows me to look upon these as character flaws!!

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
brycem said:
I now have an S which does have rattles but also a personality which allows me to look upon these as character flaws!!
No argument intended Bryce but why is poor quality (rattles/plastics) acceptable in a MINI but not in a Golf?

I disagree though about poor quality in the Golf, mine is perfect, totally rattle free. I am aware though that some people have had issues with mkV's but then NO cars are perfect.

On the whine noise, it seems that a few have it but not many. VW are looking for a fix just like MINI do with things like fraying roofs in Cabrios or yoyo/stumble in the S.

Glad you got your car rejected without fuss. Enjoy your S.

Cheers, KenL :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
If I hadn't bought the MINI I think I would have bought a Golf. It's a tough question - if you ask it on a MINI forum - we obviously think Mini, ask it on a Golf frum they'll tell ya Golf. I chose the MINI because i think it looks better. Holds it's value better, has a nicer interior and at the time most people I spoke to about it said it would suit me better than a Golf - which I think is a nice car - if a little boring :rolleyes: There just so common on the roads

·
Dating my S
587 Posts
golfs are nice.. ive driven a gti 1.8t and vr6 both before i got the mcs... but the whole vw atmosphere just simply got me mad! the sales are lazy as hell.. i was just literally rubbing against the car before he approached us all rude... i asked for a test drive, imediately gave me a 'look' before walking off... got a short drive in the 1.8t with the tiptronic and then the vr6... both are decent cars.. but the interior is cheap, it understeer too much... sure the shifter is nice and accurate, but the pickup on the vr6 is a bit disappointing... the 1.8t felt better even with the tiptronic!

overall... i didn't like the sales... vw probably lost my business forever! my ma drives an audi a4 and their sales are worlds apart!

·
5 years with MINI ONE
244 Posts
I to am thinking of purchasing a new golf sport, but I do love my MINI :confused:

·
MotorCityMadman
3,793 Posts
Here in the U.S. VW lags behind in service and is the worst automaker in volume of warranty claims. Ummm...that answers that question.

But if you look on the driving aspects of the two vehicles, and you are a spirited driver, you aren't going to find many people who will take the Golf over the MINI, IMO.

·
Best Personal Regards
2,022 Posts
Minis and golf are perfectly compatible. It does not have to be one or the other. I enjoy the hell out of my mini and I love golf. Sure, carryoing the sticks can be a problem on the Mini but not if you are by yourself.....relax.... :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts