MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally ordered my MINI Cooper last month. Am awaiting delivery - 1st March.

I have provisionally ordered:

Astro Black (white roof)
Chilli Pack
Air conditioning
Chrome Line interior/Anthracite dashboard
Remote alarm
Standard suspension (was advised against Sports suspension plus - what do you think?)
16" 5 star alloy wheels
PDC
Harmon Kardon hifi

This is very different to what I originally intended to order. I had always wanted the Chilli Red, but then thought that it may be too bright. However, now I'm not sure whether to have ALL BLACK with chrome mirrors or Black Eye Purple. I think it's teh final two options which I'm most undecided on.

This has cost almost 16,000, and I have wanted one for over three years, so it's not an impulse buy. Then again, I was expecting a very long chat with the salesman, but he was very busy!

I would really appreciate other useres advice regarding this.

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
Don't ask me about colour, I had enough trouble deciding my own :rolleyes:
You've also got tons of time to change your mind.......again and again :p

I too was going to go for CR/W, but I see too many like that near me, so I went PW/B in the end

The spec you finish up with has to be your choice, and I'm sure you'll be extremely pleased with your final spec.....whatever that may be :)
Just put your dealer on speed dial :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
I could think of lots of better things to spend £200 on than PDC. The Mini isn't a big car so parking distance control to me feels a bit pointless.

·
Mini Design Philosopher
1,028 Posts
I've ordered an-all astro black cooper with chrome mirrors, and actually saw a new all-astro black mini one earlier today with chrome mirrors and it looked very nice.

However if you always wanted Chili red with a white roof, you'd probably be better off getting a white roof - otherwise you might regret it. I notice you have listed the 16" 5 star alloys - i think the new 7-fin 16" alloys look great.

I've taken the plunge and ordered sports suspension plus - i know it will cause rattles though!

Congrats on the spec otherwise - if you've got to wait until March - then have you got a while to change your mind? :D :D

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Spec !

Here`s my 5 pence worth, ditch the PDC, ditch the alarm, order a sunroof and SS+. Regards Damian. :) :red:

·
POP..POPPOP..POP
1,918 Posts
WhiteNoiseMaker said:
I could think of lots of better things to spend £200 on than PDC. The Mini isn't a big car so parking distance control to me feels a bit pointless.
On the PDC, I have it on my present car, and when I parked the demo car I missed having it. It's better than replacing bumpers later. Whilst I don't rely on it exclusively, it gives a bit of reassurance, especially in tight spaces or a typical british garage :rolleyes:

Also read a thread on here where someone was reversing out of a parking space, PDC all quiet, nothing in mirrors, the PDC suddenly started beeping, a small child had run behind the MINI out of sight of the driver. Without the PDC there would have been a terrible accident. £200 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

·
off out....
19,946 Posts
At the end of the day - get what you want ;)

PDC - i can't see the point esp since the new models mirrors area wee bit bigger (IMO) and cover more "area" than previous models.
The alarm is a nice peace of mind thing, had it on the last mini, dont have it on this one, kinda miss it a bit.

I too only have normal sports suspension & same wheels as you ;) It depends on how firm a ride you want, have you driven both options? Might help the decision?

Colour - what a minefield..... good luck on that front! Again it's best to see all options if possible in the flesh to compare them cos it's a tricky decision.... :D or at least check out people's gallery's on here...

ASC&T is worth getting if you want a full row of switches on your dash...

At least you're in the best place for advice & opinions :D

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
i really like the new astro black. i would have gone for it if it was available last year.

i have SS+ on my cooper and whils't it's great round corners, everyone in the back moans all the time - especially with 17" runflats and on long journeys from time to time has given me a headache. not sure how it feels on 16" wheels but it is a harsh ride and makes my CD's jump all the time - in the 6 changer and front loader!

PDC - i originally ordered this being a new driver but all my friends laughed at me for speccing it on there so i took it off. bl**dy handy though. wish i kept it on really.

Harmon Kardon hifi - great if your not heavily into loud music with a lot of bass. there are much much better aftermarket systems available - however it's a big improvement on the BOOST CD.

The only thing I would add is ASC+T. It gives you a full bank of switches and has saved my butt a few times!

good luck with your purchase!

Jas

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all your advice. With regards to ASC&T - how much do I really need it? And, what do you mean by a full row of switches? What is in the place of these nozzles if you don't have it?

I haven't heard the Harmon Kardon and I know I'm taking a gamble. What is the standard CD player which comes with Cooper like? I heard it briefly. I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but I put it down to being the standard speakers. Does the standard CD player provided with Radio Boost play MP3 cd's? If I order the cd boot changer, and don't have MFS, how do you operate it?

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
minicooperobsessive said:
I finally ordered my MINI Cooper last month. Am awaiting delivery - 1st March.

I have provisionally ordered:

Astro Black (white roof)
Chilli Pack
Air conditioning
Chrome Line interior/Anthracite dashboard
Remote alarm
Standard suspension (was advised against Sports suspension plus - what do you think?)
16" 5 star alloy wheels
PDC
Harmon Kardon hifi

I would really appreciate other useres advice regarding this.
The wait in the UK is that long? Our MINI is coming to the US in what will be less than two months (hopefully - it's on the boat now). I don't think Id've been able to handle almost a three month wait...

I'm not sure about the UK spec, but we get the engine immobiliser as standard, as well as the remote unlocking, etc. My wife and I looked into the ugly red blinking stalk alarm, but our insurance wouldn't be any cheaper and all it really does is add a siren and the bulbous red blinky light in the car. We decided it wasn't worth the $300 (plus fitting).

We're getting the SS, though I've heard it's a bit softer than the UK version, though the SS cars we've driven rode fine with the 16in runflats.

Of course, order what you like and enjoy :)
-Eric

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all your advice. With regards to ASC&T - how much do I really need it? And, what do you mean by a full row of switches? What is in the place of these nozzles if you don't have it?

I haven't heard the Harmon Kardon and I know I'm taking a gamble. What is the standard CD player which comes with Cooper like? I heard it briefly. I wasn't that impressed with the sound, but I put it down to being the standard speakers. Does the standard CD player provided with Radio Boost play MP3 cd's? If I order the cd boot changer, and don't have MFS, how do you operate it?

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
The ASC+T is handy in the Winter, not so much the summer, it is nice though to have a full row of Toggle switches-it's just capped on 1 of them if you don't.
The new CD Player does Plat MP3's from what I have been told by my dealer :)

·
...where´s the any-key?
23,182 Posts
Personally I'd ditch the PDC, you don't really need it on such a small car. I would also get SS+ as it should give you better handling.

Apart from that I think you've got it pretty much spot on.:)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Go for the SS+ for deff! it's hard but not uncomfortable and the holding is awesome! and I also like the Anthracite headlining, check my pic's for an all black mini, I would have another all black mini I love it :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all your advice. I probably will stick with Black/White

Not sure about stereo though

Has anyone got HARMON KARDON? If so, what's it like?

·
JP :-)
1,901 Posts
the Black & White is a very classy color combo, IMO ;)

you have made a good choice there

As for the stereo, would you not consider saving the money and buying a good aftermarket headunit, the standard speakers are excellent :)

·
50 PMs no sig group
22,285 Posts
A nice spec :) Do go for the sport suspension though (isn't it standard with the Chili pack?) - it makes for a great ride especially through the bends :D

I didn't bother to have anything other than the standard stereo system. Works fine for me. But that's personal taste - I'd rather hear the engine sound ;)

And swap PDC for ASC+T. MINIs are easy to park :p And the ASC+T you can turn it off if you want to although I think it's a good saftey feature.
My salesperson spent about 3 hours with me altogether. I think that's reasonable since you need to discuss all the available options let alone make up your mind about the colour!!! :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think I will contact my dealer again nearer the time of my car spec being sent to Oxford. I definitely feel like I was rushed through the purchasing process. I definitely had a firm idea of what I wanted, but the salesperson (who originally gave ma a test drive a week before) was busy and his colleague had to take the deposit. However, his name still appears at the top of the contract as teh salesperson, so I assume he gets the commission. I think she was annoyed at doing someone elses work, hence the 10 minutes worth given.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Interesting point with the PDC, my road is on a school and sometimes i back out and just miss the little buggers on their bikes! But really, i could spend a minute turning my car round to go out bonnet first..or back it into the drive late at night. So basically, i'm saying ditch the PDC still.

I can't believe some people don't have alarms! Think i might become a Mini thief! :p

-Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts