MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Foaming at the Mouth
10 Posts
Hi Guys,

Picked up my S about a month ago, and was just interested to know how many people are from Adelaide here?, and any local knowledge, (ie favorite day trips, how have your dealings with Adelaide Motors been, anything else that may be SA specific) that may be of interest.

Warm Regards

Sav

Attachments

·
SOOTY!
161 Posts
Not yet, but soon ><. (Well if you call February soon)!

Im glad to see another adelaidean in here :). Did joel take you down/up Eagle on the hill then back down via greenhill road/mt lofty??

How many test drives before you were hooked??

Which area -- Im Cumberland Park.

M

·
Foaming at the Mouth
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 drive was all it took, knew I could afford it before I test drove had already made my mind up before I got out of the car, had the car for 1 month absolutely no regrets. And No I do not think Febuary is soon I'm afraid I am not that patient but I hope time goes quickly for you.

what spec mini did you opt for?

Sav

·
SOOTY!
161 Posts
1 Drive was all it took, but I decided that I really wanted another drive in one, so I suggested that it was not quite what i was looking for and that I needed another drive in it ;p~, which was actually a good thing, as it did not seem to have the issues I thought it might possibly have when driven through the city in traffic.

Unfortunatly finance was and is not quite 100% certain, although now I got my pay rise things are looking up :D and it should be no worries, assuming I sell floglington.

Spec:

MCS HyperThreading Blue / White Roof w/ scottish flag
Chrome Pack with front grill resprayed to match HyperTransport Blue
Anthracite Interior ('05 Spec)
S-Spoke 17";s
Chilli Pack (Climate, 1/2 Leather, Xenons, stuff)
iPod kit the milli second its available.

I dont call february soon, but at the time mum wanted the car then, but stuff happened and now she is not in a poition to buy it then (she still wants it, but i canna afford to give it :().

M

·
Registered
7 Posts
i'm in adelaide too...

hey there guys - just picked up on this thread and wanted to let you know that i am in adelaide too - alas i am still waiting for my MCS to be delivered (mid. Nov. - a matter of weeks now!!).

Nice to know there are a few other Adelaide people out there - let me know if there are any activities/events that have been / are being organised because I would be interested.

cheers

Giordy

:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know that this is for people currently living in Adelaide, but I did buy my MCS in Adelaide in July 2003. I had it on order for 12mths before I picked it up (min 9 mth wait anyway).
I am now up in Darwin, but will be driving it down to Adelaide over the xmas / new year period.
My best drive suggestion would be to go from Lower North East Rd, across the top of the hills to Gorge Rd, up Cork screw Rd and then up to Mt Lofty. From there, keep heading South ( I can't remember exact routes, sorry). I find that the trip down to Willunga, through the hills is a fantastic drive. The return trip can take you out to Mt Barker if you wish.

Happy driving and enjoy your new baby. I know I did with mine :D

Dutchy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanx for the welcome guys.

I actually only ordered my MINI in mid-June - guess I am a lucky one??!!
Apparently it lands in the country on Monday.....then they want 3 weeks after that. I need the time to flog my Alfa off anyway.

Thanx for that route suggestion Dutchy - I took one around those parts in my on the last long weekend and it is pretty kool.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry haven't had much time to post lately. Too much work during the day (and work's firewall now stops me from logging in), and too much going on outside of work.

I live around the Blackwood area, and got the 5th Cooper in SA (April 2002). That'd just about make it a classic!

If you want to organise a bit of a group cruise through the hills let me know, even if you've still got the Alfa. In the mean time there will be a few of us at the Mini Club of SA's Interteams Motorkhana this Sunday. Lonsdale Mitsubishi staff car park. Action should be underway by 11am (and spectating is free!)

All the best,
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi,

Newbie reporting. Nice to see some Adl Mini owners here. Anyone know roughly how many Minis there are in Adl? I remember Joel mentioning a figure, but I have forgotten it now. I see quite a few Minis cruising around, but not too many are MCS. Anyway, mine has just arrived and will hopefully be ready soon.

I am shopping around for insurance now while awaiting delivery, does anyone have any advice on which insurer offers the best deal for the MCS? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Always consider going through BMW for insurance as they at least know what they are dealing with. When I got mine it was all too new and no insurance company would insure a driver under 30 with a forced induction car (it forced me to get a Cooper instead!)

I've had good quotes from Western QBE, SGIC and RAA, and if you're a mad nutter with a shocking record and heaps of mods you can sometimes get insurance through Just Cars, although they would probably charge a hefty premium.

Gave up on Shannons when they quoted $6k a year for basic comprehensive (market value policy) on a stock standard Cooper and nearly flawless driving record.

Anyway best of luck and hope to see you out there soon! (BTW when you pick up yours you may see mine in a car park behind Marcellinas - I work in the building next door to the dealership. Made it even harder to resist getting a MINI!)

Dave.

·
Cruising In The Minge
773 Posts
dsakko said:
Gave up on Shannons when they quoted $6k a year for basic comprehensive (market value policy) on a stock standard Cooper and nearly flawless driving record.
wow, i was with SGIO, they charged me $120 month for insurance on standard MCS for $45K. After i added JCW and aero kit insured through shannons for $60K costs me only $90 mth.

·
Registered
324 Posts
dsakko said:
WOW :eek: 6 grand?
I'm 30 (29 when I took out insurance) and am insured through shannons with rating 1 and it's only $750. That was the best deal by over $250 to the rest of the competition. This was with agreed value as well. I have actually heard a number of times that Shannons is the dearest, followed by BMW, but I suppose it all comes down to personal circumstances.

Dave, will there be any runs at the Mitsu plant over the xmas period? I'm coming down for two weeks and wouldn't mind checking things out. Since being of legal driving age, I've never been to a motorkhana - only when I was a young kid, with my dad.

I should be moving down to Adelaide in january 2006, so I wouldn't mind getting into the occasional motorkhana and also trip around the Adelaide hills. I'm looking forward to getting back to some twisty roads, rather than the plain straight roads here in the NT.

Dutchy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Im an Adelaide boy living in Brissy. We are driving our LY/W MC down for xmas and I would be ULTRA keen to get together with a few people and do a run through the gorge (ahh memories).

·
Registered
324 Posts
kad said:
Im an Adelaide boy living in Brissy. We are driving our LY/W MC down for xmas and I would be ULTRA keen to get together with a few people and do a run through the gorge (ahh memories).
Ahh, yes, I know what you mean. I actually used to ride my road bike down Gorge road and then up Cork screw and onto Mt Lofty......crazy! I'll enjoy it much more when I do it in my MCS.

I don't know if I'll get much time though, as we are doing a trip up to the Clare valley and my parents live in Victor Harbor, so I probably won't get much time in Adelaide itself though :mad:

dutchy.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dutchy said:
WOW :eek: 6 grand?

Dave, will there be any runs at the Mitsu plant over the xmas period? I'm coming down for two weeks and wouldn't mind checking things out. Since being of legal driving age, I've never been to a motorkhana - only when I was a young kid, with my dad.

Dutchy.
Yeah, looks like now there are more of them insurance companies are getting reaonable about them. Been with SGIC all the way through and they have been competitively priced, and surprisingly good about my mods.

The last run at Lonsdale is this Sun (31 Oct) until the 2005 season kicks off, probably not till March / April. Fortunately the public roads are there all year round, although you do have to behave more!

Next event (MINI wise) would be the Minis at the Bay early next year. Will post details as they come to hand. Normally a good relaxed day to get together with other Mini owners.

Dave.

·
Registered
324 Posts
dsakko said:
Yeah, looks like now there are more of them insurance companies are getting reaonable about them. Been with SGIC all the way through and they have been competitively priced, and surprisingly good about my mods.

The last run at Lonsdale is this Sun (31 Oct) until the 2005 season kicks off, probably not till March / April. Fortunately the public roads are there all year round, although you do have to behave more!

Next event (MINI wise) would be the Minis at the Bay early next year. Will post details as they come to hand. Normally a good relaxed day to get together with other Mini owners.

Dave.
It's a pity about the dates, I'll have to wait until I move back down to Adelaide in '06.....oh well.

Thanks Dave.

·
Blue is the colour!
13,507 Posts
Giordy said:
thanx for the welcome guys.

I actually only ordered my MINI in mid-June - guess I am a lucky one??!!
Apparently it lands in the country on Monday.....then they want 3 weeks after that. I need the time to flog my Alfa off anyway.

Thanx for that route suggestion Dutchy - I took one around those parts in my on the last long weekend and it is pretty kool.

Cheers
Haha, Giordy fancy seeing you here. And I'd already welcomed you once. Man, these greay hairs of mine must be doing things to my youthful 32 year old brain! :D

The run up past Chain of Ponds towards Birdwood is nice too. :cool: I really gotta get my MINI to Adelaide, one of the VWvortexers keeps hassling me to go up Gorge Rd with him. And seeing as he has been to Canberra I guess it would be rude not to return the favour!

:indi:

Cheers Liam

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Sounds like there could be some interest in a Tour de Twisty Bits in the Adelaide hills at some stage!

Currently looking at a convoy run in the lead up to Mini Meet in Feb/March next year. Did a convoy run a few years back and chose some great roads to the south, not realising I'd chosen about 5 stages from the Classic Adelaide!

BTW Gorge Rd is no fun - too wide and open. Main Rd to Clarendon is far more fun in a Mini - but make sure you're shocks are in good nick, very bumpy road.

Dave.

·
Registered
324 Posts
dsakko said:
Sounds like there could be some interest in a Tour de Twisty Bits in the Adelaide hills at some stage!

Currently looking at a convoy run in the lead up to Mini Meet in Feb/March next year. Did a convoy run a few years back and chose some great roads to the south, not realising I'd chosen about 5 stages from the Classic Adelaide!

BTW Gorge Rd is no fun - too wide and open. Main Rd to Clarendon is far more fun in a Mini - but make sure you're shocks are in good nick, very bumpy road.

Dave.
That's a good road too - my brother used to live in Blackwood, so I did the trip through clarendon quit a bit. While I think of it, Gorge road is pretty well policed too, isn't it?
A good drive further down south is Range road, coming out of McLaren Flat, through to the top of Willunga Hill. Then go down the Myponga road to the Hindmarsh Tiers Road. Follow that to the Adelaide - Victor Harbor Rd and then a short stint into Victor Harbor for some food. The trip back to Adelaide could then take you out through Inman Valley and onto Yankalilla and back to Myponga. A long drive, but man, it's a great one.
Dutchy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
9 Participants
Dutchy
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing