MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:

Just out of curiosity. How does the MINI schedule vacation time during the summer months? There are rumors here in the states that MINI would close down for a period in late July.

I worked in Helsinki for ten years and with most people having 4 week vacations, we staggered the office vacation slots, so we could maintain at least half the people in the office from June to August.

We have had some discussion on the forums in the states, but I think MINI2 comments would be enlightening.

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
As far as I know there is no shutdown like a traditional factory of olden days;)

Holidays are scheduled and worked out through out the year for the plant.

There is however periods of time when visits cannot happen the plant due to factory changes to the line for new models, which has tended to be July time previously and this could have been confuses maybe for holiday time;)

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Nope, there's no holiday shutdown time at the factory. Most of the associates are supplied to plant Oxford by recruitment agency ManPower. This saves BMW a fortune in not having to deal with H&R.

In the event of one worker taking leave, his position is flled by the agency, so the factory always has the number of workers it needs on every shift.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
I agree with the others I doubt there's a shutdown in the summer; I'm due to e-mail MINI anyway about my factory tour numbers so I'll double-check the situation. But assume Minicabrio etc is correct. Cheers. :)

·
Banned
50,323 Posts
I don't think enough people have answered this question yet! :p
Was thinking the same, I think Jon and I wrapped it up in the first posts, just love it when others jump into post with nothing new to add:p

Bit like the random 'thanks' and things like that:p

·
Registered
21,702 Posts
I don't think enough people have answered this question yet! :p
No :p

The MINI factory doesnt shut down production (only when they got the fuel strike = lack of parts thing, and if something went majorly wrong i would think)

They will stop tours soon I believe due to production on the new cabrio, but the production line is constant :D If I was one of those robots, i'd get the union involved :p

------> runs from Martin and Si :D

·
total MINI . com
34,893 Posts
Has no one responded to this yet, poor fella.

no, it doesn't shutdown in the Summer, unlike Scandenavia we don't get 4 weeks off in the summer months :( Oh, and the factory is mainly staffed by agency workers from Manpower Services, it's a good solution which saves HR overheads. Frequently though a new model variant entering production can result in tours not being allowed as MINI like to keep the model secret from Joe Public. Personally I like to see as much of the new models as possible, for example the new model in the new Bond film is great, see below :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I appreciate all the info, including a look at the latest model.:biggrin:
PS. You could move to Finland, it is a part of the EU.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts