MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I’ve got advisories on the MOT about the brakes hoses so I’m looking at replacing them.
Can i simply just replace them or will i end up with a warning light appearing afterwards as they’ve been removed and need a Mini scan tool ?

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Hi
I’ve got advisories on the MOT about the brakes hoses so I’m looking at replacing them.
Can i simply just replace them or will i end up with a warning light appearing afterwards as they’ve been removed and need a Mini scan tool ?
no scan tool needed some good tips are as follwos
1, spray the old fittings with wd40 or deep creep penetrating oil
2 molgrips use them to grip the other side of the fitting to avoid twisting the metal pipe in anyway,
3 will need a catch container for oil brake fluid dont let fluid touch paint it will damage it
4 always use a axle stand under any car jacked up
5 will need to bleed the system get all air bubbles out,,
6 recommend buying easy bleed to bleed brakes if buy one no more than 12 psi in the tyre for air supply, below link easy bleed
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gunson-easy-bleed-EEZIBLEED-Brake-Clutch-Fluid-Hydraulic-Bleeding-Kit/120979128190?epid=26018193836&hash=item1c2aeaff7e:g:crAAAOSw58VamTYy

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information Mike, ive done bits of jobs before where i need to bleed the brakes so I’ve got a idea on that side it was just the potential warning lights that had me unsure.

Cheers for all the info though :)

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Are you sure you mean brake hoses?
This is very uncommon.

What is a very common MOT fail on cars of this age is brake pipes...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very uncommon.

I thought the same and tbh ive not checked them yet as the weather has been rubbish and ive no garage to work in.

Heres the actual Mot info on them definitely saying hoses

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
Offside Front Brake hose slightly chafed rubbing against strut body (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Brake hose slightly damaged perished near bracket on strut (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Offside Front Brake hose slightly damaged perished near bracket on strut (1.1.12 (b) (i))

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
This is very uncommon.

more so the rubber hoses as rubber cracks and the fitting rust and swell up that can break them off see a lot on 10 year old plus cars the rubber is like tyres over time perish and crack also the metal inside can break away.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Offside Front Brake hose slightly chafed rubbing against strut body (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Nearside Front Brake hose slightly damaged perished near bracket on strut (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Offside Front Brake hose slightly damaged perished near bracket on strut (1.1.12 (b) (i))
Well, that's your hoses :eeksurprise:
Easier job than replacing the pipes ::smile::

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
I thought the same and tbh ive not checked them yet as the weather has been rubbish and ive no garage to work in.

Heres the actual Mot info on them definitely saying hoses

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):
yep thats how i would fail them the wording is as prescribed theres a lot changed recently on mot and whats fails and how it fails etc getting tighter almost like government are trying to remove the older cars by stealth i wonder,, ie fail mot s then all the older high emission cars are no longer a problem,, but maybe not failed by emissions perhaps

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Two very important points.

I was just doing this the other day. I thought the line fitting was free. Oops!.
yep that's what happens when dont use molgrips on the pipe union and bracket as i mentioned above link below to molgrips one of those tools thats a must have,
below link good budget priced set
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neilsen-CT0980-Locking-Mole-Grip-Pliers-Black-4-Piece-1-Pack-S/202391201608?epid=5016373848&hash=item2f1f74a748:g:K5MAAOSwfxFbentp
below link branded top quality
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Irwin-Vise-Grip-10-250mm-Curved-Jaw-Locking-Pliers-Mole-Grips-Soft-Grip-10WR/330867477899?epid=653704580&hash=item4d093d0d8b:g:1YQAAOSwXj5XGNHL

you can buy the replacement brake pipes from mini, or buy a repair tool for splicing link below for anyone else, only need to make one pipe up and its saved money
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Repair-Kit-Pipe-End-Flarer-Cutter-Bender-3-16-Copper-10mm-Union-Nut/362077352317?hash=item544d7df17d:g:urQAAOSwceNZVQah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Useful tools

All good points Mike.
I have always found these Irwin/Record vise grips to be particularly useful with frozen brake fittings (see below).

Sometimes the only way to loosen the male fitting is by using a bit of heat as here on one of the rear lines.

Its worth pointing out that the male fitting on the hard line needs to be free to turn when refitting the brake hose which MUST have been attached to the caliper and the caliper MUST be refitted to the carrier before making this connection. The brake hose must not be kinked, which is exactly what will happen if you get the sequence wrong.

One final bit of egg sucking. The Male/bubble flare needs to be an ISO/DIN flare. Not all of the cheaper sets will do these.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
AardHawk
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing