MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post on here so go easy on me :D

I have a Mini R50 and its been the most temperamental car ive ever bought. Here is the story:
The radiator burst at the bottom, little to my knowledge at the time. I kept driving the car and topping up the coolant for about a week. The coolant temperature did rise to the top a few time so i pulled over as soon as I could. Now this started happening every journey.

I stripped the front end down and found the tube on the bottom of the radiator burst. I replaced the radiator and tried bleeding the car as many times, and different methods. Ive removed the thermostat as ive tested this and found it faulty. So now running with no thermostat. Noticed the fan hasnt been kicking in, so tested the fan by wiring it straight to battery on both settings. Nothing happened.

Fitted a new fan, started the car and left it running for half an hour. The fan didnt start and the car did not overheat. So i went for a drive just down the road, I then heard the high speed fan kick in, looked at the temp gauge which had climbed to the top and it bubbled its coolant out of the expansion bottle.

Ive figured out low speed fan is not working, my thermostat is gone, but is this why my coolant is pressurizing, or is it still not bled up properly or is it a more serious issue? I literally cannot afford any tests at a garage at the moment, as i was selling the car to gain funds.

Please help :crying::crying:

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
For starters buddy replace the stat, I wouldn't be running a engine without one as you'll only end up damaging your engine! Secondly your resistor on the fan is most likely knackered and there are kits on ebay available for about £50 and finally your system sounds like it isn't bled correct. Your quite right in saying that the R50 is a pig to bleed. There are 3 bleed screws on this engine. One at the back of the engine, one at the left hand side and a 3rd at the very front (8mm bolt) and it site just at the front right hand side of the engine and you'll need an extension on a socket to access it easier

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
SeanC
MINI Cooper Forum
Join our Mini Cooper Forums to talk about your new Mini. From reviews, mods, accessories, reliability concerns and more, this Mini Owners Club is full of info!
Full Forum Listing