MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
R52 Newbie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. After exhaustive Googling about the web for fault finding I find myself at a loss.

I'm having a cold start issue. Getting steadily worse. After leaving the car overnight I have a hard time starting the next day. This started as just an engine 'splutter' before catching and firing. It has progressed to having to turn the engine over for a fair few seconds with foot on accelerator and then it will turn over. Once it is running it seems to be fine. Apart from when first running cold I occasionally get no response from the throttle when pressed and will after a second or two will burst into life.

Googling left me with fuel pump ideas as this seemed to be what most were talking about. Lots of people saying the high pressure fule pump (Googling this and it seems the R52 doesn't have one??) or maybe just the in-tank pump under the rear seats.

Anybod else with similar issues? Or possible causes? If it is the fuel pump can anyone recommend where to buy a replacement? Happy to have a go at fitting it myself.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
r56 cooper s has high pressure fuel pump not the early super charged gen cars like yours have single intank fuel pump,, this pump on pre 2003 cars ran at 4.2bar on later cars 4.6bar, common causes of what you have is,, coolant temp sensor,,live data from cold start and watch the temps match the heat of engine, fuel rail shut off valve that is part of the fuel rail,, to test this would need liva data and fuel pressure readings while cranking, also common is for plastic breather pipes done near the throttle body to crack ,, also might be throttle body sticking in rare cases

·
R52 Newbie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
r56 cooper s has high pressure fuel pump not the early super charged gen cars like yours have single intank fuel pump,, this pump on pre 2003 cars ran at 4.2bar on later cars 4.6bar, common causes of what you have is,, coolant temp sensor,,live data from cold start and watch the temps match the heat of engine, fuel rail shut off valve that is part of the fuel rail,, to test this would need liva data and fuel pressure readings while cranking, also common is for plastic breather pipes done near the throttle body to crack ,, also might be throttle body sticking in rare cases
Hi mike1967,
Thanks for the reply and the info. I'll go with the 4.6 pump and see if it helps. Im building up a list of all the parts I could possibly change myself and will try that too.
Unfortunately, I tried getting the codes (used a Creator C310+) but could not get any communication. So some possible electrical issues too. Will have to take it to a mechanic and see if they can read anything. If that's even possible at the moment.
Thanks again for replying. Appreciated.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
cheapest and best diagnostics that covers all things and all brands of cars is autocom cdp plus on ebay for £50 ish if do buy one make sure its got the double circuit board as thats full function will code as well

·
R52 Newbie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again. I will definitely take a look at that model when it comes time to buy one. Im nervous as the one I tried had my Mini listed in the menus (even the R52 variant) but still could not communicate. It is apparently a fault that can develop on these minis so need a garage to see if they can get any info before I buy another code reader. The one you suggested could be a good idea as there are other vehicles I can use it for (the C31+ was BMW/Mini only).
Cheers.

·
R52 Newbie
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Has the fuel filter been changed? They get absolutely filthy - it is one of the MINI service schedule 'lifetime' items ..... that isn't!! Like the SC and the gearbox oil.
It hasn't. I am making a list, as I mentioned, for all the bits to change. The fuel pump, filter and service for the SC has now been added to it. Have a mobile mechanic turning up soon to see if he can get any codes from it and/or diagnose the issue. I will be changing everything I can; pump, filter, all sensors etc etc.
Thanks for your time and for the info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts