MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

hope youre well and staying healthy in this current time.

I wonder if you could help. I have a 2006 mini cooper s R53. Iv just noticed that when I am accelerating hard I can hear what sounds like a tapping noise. I think it is coming from the engine area, but cant hear it at tick over or revving the engine?? On reading through some of the posts I haven't managed to find an answer so wondered if this is normal, or something I should be concerned about? There doesn't appear to be a drop in power, or any issue re driving it, just the annoying tapping noise.

Im not sure if this helps any, but iv had a new clutch fitted a week ago and were no issues with the fly wheel or gear box if this is something that could maybe cause it. Im thinking down the lines of the supercharger or pulley system or both, but as am a new owner and have no real idea only guessing, will be grateful for any guidance and advice you could give.

Cheers

J

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
could be many things worth changing the belt on it if not been replaced in past 40k might just be on it last legs got cracks in the grooves can make them click,, super charger can also click when the plastic drive cracks with age very common, might timing chain tensioner or timing chain its self needs so love on r53 they will do over 100,000 miles easy without to much issue but everything wears with age and mileages,, has seen many camshafts wear out the lobes and make all kinds of ticking noises,, could even be a coil pack if have a misfire as well when it does it, you might also find it has a reduces pulley on the ss and its running to lean so combustion is to hot,, ie to cool a petrol engine you dump more fuel in it,, reduced pulley adds air to a set fuel amount hence why must be remapped to suit more boost etc,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike,

superb pal thankyou you were spot on! It was the timing chain tensioner!
Thanks again pal and all the best 😁👍🏿

1 - 4 of 4 Posts