MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!
So past few days there has been patches of liquid under the cooper, ive taken my bumper off and inspected and my front "radiator" for the AC is soaking wet.
When they leak would they leak as a fluid or a gas? Trying to determine if its coolant or AC Fluid as if its AC i wont make it much of a priority.

PFA (Similar to what my AC "Rad" looked like upon taking off the bumper)
No photo description available.

· Registered
27 Posts
fwiw, if the radiator was leaking, surely the expansion/reservoir bottle for the radiator would be low and require frequent topping up?

If AC condenser was leaking, it is unlikely the AC would be working due to total loss of gas. Did you check whether the AC was working before taking car apart?

(I can see the AC condenser in your photo, but cannot see the radiator which should be directly behind it?)

· Registered
2003 R53 Liquid Yellow and 2012 R58 Coupe Cosmos black
144 Posts
It's condensation.
The rad is cold so the moisture in the air condenses and freezes on it then when the engine stops or the aircon isn't running the heat from the cars radiator melts it.

Gerry

· Registered
591 Posts
If the condenser was leaking the AC would fault and stop working. The icing up happens in the car matrix/evaporator (which melts and drains under the middle of the car), not the front condenser, the front condenser is a heat sink taking the hot liquid and cooling it and exchanging hot for cold before going back to the compressor, it does not ice up. Any liquid in this area is either from the coolant or engine/turbo (if you have one, you do not specify Justa or S). I presume this is not oil, just water?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.