MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday was a pretty productive day for me - I eventually got around to installing my new android head unit in my 2007 Mini Cooper S. I've installed a lot of car stereos to different cars over the years - but this was probably the most time consuming one - mainly due to the fact you have to strip a good bit of the dashboard out to actually fit it - it's not difficult, just time consuming and finicky - its a lot easier if you have the right tools though - so if you;re thinking about doing this - invest in proper trim removal tools and a T20 and T30 screwdriver.

The reason I went for this particular head unit is because it is the most OEM looking one i could find and also has the option to display the speed in MPH or KM/H - most options don't look OEM and only show KM/H.. I have to say that it's an amazing bit of kit - I had missed Apple CarPlay since getting rid of my Golf R MK7.5 and this brings the Mini right up to date - the bonus being it's also wireless Apple CarPlay! - it helped tidy up my interior a bit as i no longer needed my phone mount and it replaced a Highway DAB 600 BT handsfree and DAB stereo unit I had been using.

The sound quality even on stock speakers is amazing! - the built-in EQ is accurate and adjustable/customisable and i honestly didn't think stock speakers could sound this good.

Car Vehicle Speedometer Motor vehicle Plant

Speedometer Vehicle Motor vehicle Odometer Steering part

Speedometer Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle

Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Odometer Car

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice job, I am about to order the same , just trying to decide who from and find best price and delivery to the UK.
Where did you buy yours ?
this is the seller I used and it was sent to the uk within 5 days using FedEx IP:

£332.68 30% Off | 7" Android Aftermarket Radio Touch Screen For BMW Mini R55 R56 R57 R58 R59 R60 R61 2006-2013 DVD Player Carplay Auto DSP DAB

Reactions: Colonel Bogey

· Registered
591 Posts
Totally agree about the stock speakers, nothing wrong with them, it is the original head units that are pathetic, installed my Chinese head unit around 4 years ago combined with an under seat sub woofer, and pillar tweeters. Such a HUGE improvement. Well done. Time well spent!

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just been told DAB is extra cost, I am cheaper to buy a DAD unit from Amazon.
I think any standalone USB DAB unit will work - I opted for the one they supplied as I new it would work without issue and just made it easier for me.

the DAB unit is just like any other option; TV tuner, reversing camera, TPMS etc - it’s an additional item - all of the sellers do this so you can configure the system how you want it.

👍🏻

· Registered
340 Posts
I think any standalone USB DAB unit will work - I opted for the one they supplied as I new it would work without issue and just made it easier for me.

the DAB unit is just like any other option; TV tuner, reversing camera, TPMS etc - it’s an additional item - all of the sellers do this so you can configure the system how you want it.

👍🏻
Do I really need DAB ? , I will now have an extensive playlist of music , and no longer have to see no signal when I go into reverse or put on rear wiper , or pass my local fibre optic cabinet 😂

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you put on Mini start up logo, does unit allow for that .
yep you can change the startup logo to whatever you want… I just left mine as stock… I did design a new wallpaper for it though
Portable communications device Communication Device Playstation portable Mobile device Gadget

Plant Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Vehicle audio

Automotive design Font Emblem Electric blue Symbol

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks cool , I will need to figure out how to design a wallpaper for mine .
Create an image 1,024 x 600 - pop it on a USB drive or Micro SD card and then go to the settings to change to it! - same as any other android device - pretty easy! 👌🏻👍🏻

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just read a post next door , does your clock on the rev counter still work ? Hoping that when you set the unit it will also set rev.
Yep! You set the time and date on the display in the tachometer

1 - 20 of 74 Posts