MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought the wife a used 2007 Mini from a small used dealer, and she's very happy with it. On plugging in the OBD reader at home, I find 2 codes, P1105 (MAF unit/MAP sensor problem??) and 2B15 which I believe is something to do with Differential Pressure intake manifold.
I have noticed the Mini blows a little blue smoke when cold, which seems to clear when it gets warm, except when going down a long hill, (foot off accelerator) and then accelerating. Its not much smoke, but its there. So far, we haven't had it long enough to check oil consumption per 500 or 1,000 mile. The Mini has done 87,500 miles.
As for road testing, the car actually runs fine, and drives well, no signs of noise, knocking or wear, well, not as I can hear, and its really quiet when idling. There is no misfiring, no loss of power, pulls really well up hills, so I am hoping these are minor code faults. However, I realise blue smoke, however small, means oil loss. Can anyone confirm what these codes mean on this model? In essence, I guess I should have plugged in the OBD before buying, but the car was sold with an insurance warranty for major engine parts, but its vague what it covers, as with most after-warranties. Can anyone help with more precise info on these codes? As for the oil use, I will monitor carefully over the next few months, and keep a log. I now read some Minis do use oil, so we may have to live with it. Thanks in advance for any tips.

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
i'm in middle of a cooper s at moment had same sort of issues and misfire and hard to start when cold,, 2008 cooper s 87000 miles on it guy bought it and bit like a blind date lol.. all the valve seat were pitted badly leaking also inlet ports carbon up timing chain was on last legs, the turbo was also so worn,, all the valve stem seals were split and hard, high pressure fuel pump was nailed as well,, one of those cars i call a union just keep pealing the layers,, nearly there now i have rebuilt the head and re-cut the valve seals and also found the lifters most when try'd to remove them pulled apart,, also it had oil light come on when got hot on idle,, i found the oil cooler that bolts to oil filter housing was full of rad weld form a failed head gasket which i have just repaired etc, few pics below
IMG_20200514_153648.jpg
IMG_20200520_135036.jpg
IMG_20200520_140644.jpg
IMG_20191204_122053.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow mate. You made a damn good job of those valves. ;) I shudder to think what they are like on my wife's Mini. When I was (much) younger, I had a Morris 1000 Van, (quaint) but at least I could work on it myself. Then, I inherited a Morris Marina van. That thing handled like a bathtub on wheels! :LOL::LOL:hehehe. Also, an oil guzzler. In my 20's, I got a Mini Metro, I still cannot believe that thing used oil from new (1 pint per 500m), and just got worse and worse! It seems when BMW took over Mini, they retained the legend that Minis are in their rights to use oil, even after careful running in. My Ranger truck never burns a drop between changes, but I guess that's why Japanese engines are very reliable. So, it looks as if I may have some expense coming up. I'll keep my eye on the oil consumption, as I think that is the main concern here, and that may well be attributed to the 2B15.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts