MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my latest car arrived the other day , no oil pressure when hot common issue when at some point run low on oil or dirty oil can also cause it,, ie bmw 20k and 24 months dont help it to survive ,, this car is a 2008 mini cooper with 65000 miles on it has all the normal signs of issue eml on timing chain sounds like on last legs and its smokes blue on first start up all common for oil burning,, chain of events is the valve stem seals and crappy bmw plastic nitride oil rings on pistons fail to keep oil burning at bay, owner then dont realise until oil light comes on dash by that time the damage is done and oil pump and crankshaft and even head will be worn away,, engine rebuilders want £1800 just for a engine without anything else and most garages want £50 to £100 hour to swap out the engines,, what i do is source a low miles engine with top end damage and use the known good bottom end and refresh that,, but still its a big job as engine and gearbox out etc and basically make one good engine out of the two as such as cheap as possible, even for a short engine from rebuilders ie bottom end they want over £800 if they have one,
so today I started on this one got the donner block all sorted honed and pistons with new rings all done read to go in , tomorrow i will pull front off the car and pull engine and gearbox out then remove the head to reuse hopefully on this good bottom end make a good sorted engine ,, will also have full timing chain kit with all sprockets and hubs and oil pump chain etc ,, i use genuine PSA parts and not cheap crap ebay stuff and also only fit a complete kit and not partial kits unless owner wants to save some money that is,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive engine gasket
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Camshaft Automotive wheel system Automotive air manifold
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Rim
Photograph Automotive tire Gas Bumper Wood
Automotive tire Bumper Drinkware Audio equipment Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Product Bumper Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting Automotive design

more to follow as I dig in to it

Reactions: Oakleyguy

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
only had a couple of hours on this today pulled the front off it ready and done a scan with snap on diagnostics tool, notice the inlet camshaft fault codes,, this is all down to oil pressure ie lack of it, cheap way forward is to change the bottom end with a know good low miles one complete with oil pump etc and put better rings in new oil pump chain and sprockets and both oil seals front and rear of crank will also have a new clutch kit whiles its out, also new cat sensors , owner already done the water pump so that will be swapped across basically make the best engine out of the two, i also have a head to go go on this one if find the camshafts have been hurt from lack of oil pressure most likely are ,
Gadget Font Publication Electronic device Display device
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Personal luxury car Automotive design Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Personal luxury car
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
had half a day on this today , engine out all striped head off to reuse all valves out head partly cleaned , next job sort head ready to refit and new stem seals ,, before i put engine back in i will wire brush on angle grinder the subframe and sort the surface rust out while its out also use rust cure on it ,, two minute job with engine out and tidy'd the job up, will also paint the heat shields ,, this is having new cat and sensors thermo housing ,, someone had put a cheap partial timing chain kit really cheap china one by looks of it,, all that gets replaced all in the price ,,, this thing had big lips on the bores well worn very black inside right pain to clean up,,, this all said this car will be really good when done ,, i used a peugeot 308 vti bottom end in it to use these there are some dowls to remove and some other bits to change over ,,, the old engine i think cracked the crankshaft as two of the flywheel bolts when removed engine oil came out the holes,,
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Gas
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Gas Engineering
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Gas
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Freezing Circle Space Auto part
Automotive tire Rim Engineering Automotive wheel system Machine

Reactions: mnkytweet

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got all pistons back in and head back on timing chain kit on ,, below pics shows i soak new timing chain and new vanos sprockets in engine oil before fitting them,, as a preventive measure as some times they can stick, ,, wrong clutch was sent so my plans today of getting it back in car nearly running today went out the window, biut still got on with many things ready ,, also found both the oil control solonoids a past garage who fitted a really cheap timing chain basic kit had poked holes from the gauze filters thinking that would improve oil flow to the vanos sprockets ,, where the real issue was engine had been run low on oil and had the oil that was in there was so black in crank case all signs of lack of service in its past,, fairly bad for a 65k car ,, i i reused the cylinder head and valves,, i found both camshafts worn and sent to the bin, I also found the vvt steppa motor and its concentric cog totally worn out so replaced with a known good Peugeot one from the donner engine , I also found past garage fitted a cheap ebay thermo housing no numbers on it always a bad sign so febi brand fitted ,, I used a bottom end from a Peugeot 308 1.6 vti 2009 which had 60k on it.. i also put new rear crank oil seal in and front crank oil seal as well, plus a complete timing chain kit with all sprockets and bolts etc, Tuesday it will be back in car and running by end of the day that's my plane unless the parts fairy strikes again

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment
Automotive tire Gas Engineering Cylinder Machine
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive air manifold Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim
Automotive tire Helmet Automotive lighting Toy Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

Reactions: Oakleyguy

·
Registered
44 Posts
Busy boy today then Mike,
I've had a couple of hours with spanners today fitted a larger intercooler and new front x member as previous owner had hacked it to bits for some reason, got carried away and took the front subframe of and lower arms of so all new bushings going in ,will have the subframe and bits powder coated whilst off

Attachments

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would still be up there if the clutch kit fitted lol,

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bet ,nothing worse than wrong parts ,all psyched up ,then the job stalls ....
I tend to plan my week ahead to a degree then parts fairy's strike and I end up juggling things around ,, ie work and then my added projects as such, but cant complain I've always had plenty to do starting to catch up with things now, until the next wave of oil burning rattling prince engines turn up lol, was at a garage last week they asked me to come and have a look at a Peugeot rcz thp 70k on clock and had timing fault codes and they just got lost in it, I found oil pressure to vanos inlet not correct but had oil pressure on exhaust cam and oil pressure from oil switch,, turned out the oil rings in camshaft had failed due to the non return valve in the head failing and run them dry ,,, £420 for a camshaft new,, makes my used part bin seem very cheap lol ie sold them a known good one for £100 ,, then a few hours later they asked me back to set timing for them as they could not get it to time up,,, all this makes my week longer lol

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so today started with bare engine had it running briefly by 4pm , checked compression on all 4 before starting it all 180psi by doing this it gives the oil chance to be sucked up from sump before starting it,, still got front to put back on and some other jobs ,, it started first press on button and just went in to a stable idle right away good sign things playing nicely so far,, fitted the new cat and 02 sensors also this one had to have two new oil control solenoid's as past mechanic thought it was a good idea to poke holes in the filter screens thinking it would increase oil pressure i guess to vanos sprockets,, as real issue was lack of oil pressure hence the replacing the bottom end ,, I use maxiflow engine oil on these as per pic works a=out around £38 for 5 litres, I also use a solid oil filter made by coopers filters
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Light Fluid Liquid Plastic bottle Cosmetics
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Liquid Bottle Fluid Alcoholic beverage Drink
Safety glove Sleeve Grey Glove Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Locking hubs
Light Fluid Liquid Plastic bottle Cosmetics
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Automotive design
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper
Liquid Bottle Fluid Alcoholic beverage Drink
Safety glove Sleeve Grey Glove Auto part
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive air manifold

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Odd how some people think. Poke a hole in a gauze filter , 🤯
I know it is nuts , think I know the thought pattern who ever done it was thinking,, ie the car had fault codes for camshaft timing as vanos sprockets would not rotate due to no oil pressure due to crankshaft being destroyed,, hence what I done to it engine out and replace it with a known good bottom end from a low miles psa car ,, so a garage worker I will call him decided to try and increase the oil flow to vanos by destroying £170 worth of genuine vanos solenoid's ,, at least they did not go on ebay and buy two china ones for £50 and thought they would work correctly I guess,,, you would not believe the amount of these that give issues on these solenoid's when cheap non genuine is used, i see on live data data ie the vanos sprockets on new genuine the prescribed and actual positions stay the same better when engine rev'd ,, where worn or cheep china ones dont change as fast and some just dont match up at any revs,, when you have done as many of these as I have and I look for tiny details with things it helps with the next ones if that makes,

·
Registered
10,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all back together now waiting on exhaust for it as its having a new one, then fit that tomorrow i hope then its few hours of running and live data and reset everything before ,, ie to reset adaptions must be done with cold engine , also the vanos adaptions must be done cold,, and the vvt limits reset same thing i would reset them all then flick starter button and just let it idle for good hour and half until fan kicks in and out again ie that also proves the fan works,, while its doing all this i have live data reading coolant temp and timing and lamda readings and smooth running's and misfire counts etc as I can tell right away if something is wonky especially with the vanos and vvt system ,,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts