MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My name is Chris, I live in Cheshire. Had my Countryman for two years now and it’s had a few minor issues but now has a bigger one.

I have a 63 plate Countryman Cooper D which has started with the death rattle.

I've purchased a new Cam Belt Tensioner but can't find where it's located on the engine, can anyone point me in it's location?

Thanks
Chris

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Hi,

My name is Chris, I live in Cheshire. Had my Countryman for two years now and it’s had a few minor issues but now has a bigger one.

I have a 63 plate Countryman Cooper D which has started with the death rattle.

I've purchased a new Cam Belt Tensioner but can't find where it's located on the engine, can anyone point me in it's location?

Thanks
Chris
the timing chain on that engine is at rear of engine below link gives in fo the chain system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMfonARaqzM

· Registered
13,582 Posts
the timing chain on that engine is at rear of engine below link gives in fo the chain system

That engine is sideways though due to being a rear wheel drive, mine isn't rear wheel so it shouldn't be at the back like that.

Looking at that engine it looks nothing like mine either. Thanks for your reply though
the n47 bmw diesel engine is used in mini and was first used since 2007 in all bmw cars with a diesel 4 cylinder engine, your right in the mini its mounted transverse ie as you put the other way round, they come in 1.6 or 2.0 litre both have a timing chain at rear of engine ie rear whether mounted inline or transverse is gearbox end ,,
pre march 2010 cars were fitted with a psa ie citroen peugeot 1,6hdi engines with a cam belt and a chain mounted between the camshafts,
another link for the n47 diesels bmw own engines and the issues they have below,
143 bhp (107 kW; 145 PS) version
The 143 bhp (107 kW; 145 PS) model was used in the

E81, E82, E87 and E88 118d
E90 and E91 318d
F20 118d
F30 and F31 318d
2009-2015 BMW E84 sDrive18d and xDrive18d
2010–present MINI Countryman Cooper SD (R60)
2010–present MINI Cooper SD (R56)
2010–present MINI Cabrio Cooper SD (R57)
2010–present MINI Coupe Cooper SD (R58)
2012–present MINI Roadster Cooper SD (R59)
2013–present MINI Paceman Cooper SD (R61)
X3 xDrive18d.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N47
below link explains the stupidity of the design for the customer and total brain wave for the car maker for future workshop profits and also helps remove older cars sooner as so expensive to repair i would think,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQpQIi7gI_U

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the n47 bmw diesel engine is used in mini and was first used since 2007 in all bmw cars with a diesel 4 cylinder engine, your right in the mini its mounted transverse ie as you put the other way round, they come in 1.6 or 2.0 litre both have a timing chain at rear of engine ie rear whether mounted inline or transverse is gearbox end ,,
pre march 2010 cars were fitted with a psa ie citroen peugeot 1,6hdi engines with a cam belt and a chain mounted between the camshafts,
another link for the n47 diesels bmw own engines and the issues they have below,
143 bhp (107 kW; 145 PS) version
The 143 bhp (107 kW; 145 PS) model was used in the

Sorry yes I see now, I've checked my AutoData today which confirmed it as well.

Don't suppose you know where the timing belt tensioner is located? I've checked all around the top and can't see it and I've checked the driver side by the belts and still nothing.

If it's behind the engine is it accessible from underneath? I've purchased a replacement so when it comes knowing where it is will help either me or my brother who's a mechanic to find it quicker and get it swapped out.

· Registered
13,582 Posts
whether you want to listen to this or not as its not going to be what you want to hear about, i have never even tried to replace a tensioner on that engine always complete kit,, as the real issue is chain stretches and sprockets round off until they jump teeth, and i promise you that will be a new cylinder head and new pistons at the min. really not worth the risk on that engine, will explain a tad more years ago some mechanics would splice the new and old chains and feed a new chain in form the top but all these engines never lasted that long before the sprockets rounded off even more by the new sharper chains as such, so that method dont work, the early 3 series you could gain access to tension behind a plate gearbox end , below pic might help you find it where it sits reference the gearbox, its ironic someone else came on here the other day telling us all that they had a 63 plate cooper d with heavy map on it and they think bmw had fixed the timing chain issues with them,, trouble is no one in the trade thinks that,

Attachments

· Registered
13,582 Posts
below is pic of cut out of the n47 and shows the chains, also another common rattle on them is the dual mass flywheel honestly if doing the chain job replace the flywheel and clutch at same time at least yo have another 80k plus with the main issues done, last one i done was a few years ago as i avoid them these days like a ex wife, just bring stress to your life,
look at size of chains used on a performance diesel engine just dont make sense unless it was designed like for a reason using low emissions as a excuse, i owned bmw diesels only for years before getting caught by a back then 2007 320d 57000 miles chain slipped and destroyed the engine on a car that had 8k oil changes etc, and bmw as car was out of warranty just fobbed me off blamed everything except do the right thing as they do with most people it would seem, the bbc watch dog program named and shamed them they still refused to admit or even cure the problems,, the answer to the prince engines ie petrols that have 60-80k timing chains was to add a longer tensioner rather than put a duplex chain on that hardly wears like good brands do, ie honda on v-tecs.

Attachments

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
below is pic of cut out of the n47 and shows the chains, also another common rattle on them is the dual mass flywheel honestly if doing the chain job replace the flywheel and clutch at same time at least yo have another 80k plus with the main issues done, last one i done was a few years ago as i avoid them these days like a ex wife, just bring stress to your life,
look at size of chains used on a performance diesel engine just dont make sense unless it was designed like for a reason using low emissions as a excuse, i owned bmw diesels only for years before getting caught by a back then 2007 320d 57000 miles chain slipped and destroyed the engine on a car that had 8k oil changes etc, and bmw as car was out of warranty just fobbed me off blamed everything except do the right thing as they do with most people it would seem, the bbc watch dog program named and shamed them they still refused to admit or even cure the problems,, the answer to the prince engines ie petrols that have 60-80k timing chains was to add a longer tensioner rather than put a duplex chain on that hardly wears like good brands do, ie honda on v-tecs.
Thanks Mike. Sounds like I'm I'm screwed either way which isn't good. I've read through various places that people have successfully changed the tensioner and the rattle went which is why the theory of changing it has come about. My main concerns is that chain snapping.

· Registered
13,582 Posts
Thanks Mike. Sounds like I'm I'm screwed either way which isn't good. I've read through various places that people have successfully changed the tensioner and the rattle went which is why the theory of changing it has come about. My main concerns is that chain snapping.
tensioner springs do go weaker over time they all do, but the real issue is the stupid bicycle chain they use for timing chain i really do think its a insult to the people who buy theses cars thinking as so many do its a premium brand better than most etc, back in the 80s and 90s to early 2000s ho yes the diesels were epic i owned many of them and a ew m3 coupe as well totally bullet proof, this is where they got the rep for being one of the top brands,, this all said vag group vw audi seat skoda not so much as skoda have early tech but the others have latest made to be light all suffer different weaknesses that will end the engine, for oil pumps, to swirl flaps that sano off around 70k to timing chain that are no better or worse than prince engines or n47 diesels, add to this dsg gearbox that are so expensive to repair and flywheels that cant handle to torque of a thumping diesels etc, then the dpf and egr created damage that all cars get that can be blamed on emissions laws and not how they designed the cars maybe, and electronics that involve soldering tiny relays on a printer circuit board that they all then seal them is resin or in between circuit boards to force a replacement at £1000 rather than a replace one relay at £10,, all this stuff done behind peoples backs hidden away with comments like NO sir we have never had that happen before, or what timing chain issues and blame it on drive owner abuse etc, vauxhall have a issue with oil pump rubber seal it breaks down loses oil pressure and shags out the crankshaft my local engine builders told me the other day he has at least 10 every week with same issue,, all because of a stupid design that a child could see a better way of doing it, but still they turn the 2.0 cdti engines out, local vauxhall dealers parts guy said ho yes we have boxes of those seals in stock not a good a sign, all this fits in to a picture one could feel that cars by design are are under 80k 7 years in the eyes of the designers/makers maybe.
getting back to yours pull gearbox off it and do all it needs in one go its a good 2-3 day job just remember anything can be fixed with time and some money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.