MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 R60 All4, N18 engine. The radiator fan was not working, found that the wire had corroded, so replaced the fan. Thought the problem was solved, but it seems that was only part of the problem.

More details:

I have checked the relays - both high speed and low speed relays are fine (close when power applied, and switched with a new relay). The temperature sensor is working (using the onboard display, the temperature starts at ambient, when it gets to 106C the high speed fan kicks in.) When it cools down, however, I get no speed fan to continue cooling the engine. When I jumper the low speed fan relay, I do get the low speed fan to operate at low speed. I get no change in voltage at the low speed fan relay connection when turning on the AC, or ignition. Unplugging the temperature sensor causes the high speed fan to run for about 6 minutes.

Thought would be appreciated - it seems that something is not telling the low speed relay to close. (I am not an expert, as well)

Thanks for any insights or assistance!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 2011 R60 All4, N18 engine. The radiator fan was not working, found that the wire had corroded, so replaced the fan. Thought the problem was solved, but it seems that was only part of the problem.

More details:

I have checked the relays - both high speed and low speed relays are fine (close when power applied, and switched with a new relay). The temperature sensor is working (using the onboard display, the temperature starts at ambient, when it gets to 106C the high speed fan kicks in.) When it cools down, however, I get no speed fan to continue cooling the engine. When I jumper the low speed fan relay, I do get the low speed fan to operate at low speed. I get no change in voltage at the low speed fan relay connection when turning on the AC, or ignition. Unplugging the temperature sensor causes the high speed fan to run for about 6 minutes.

Thought would be appreciated - it seems that something is not telling the low speed relay to close. (I am not an expert, as well)

Thanks for any insights or assistance!
Good evening

i am having the very same issue as you ( 2012 r56 jcw n18 engine ) my low speed fan does not seem to working either , i have had my thermostat change twice in a month , water pump checked all good , radiator checked all good what is happening is the (very loud) high speed fan kicks in when the coolant temp reaches 114 c which i know is to high, i believe the low speed fan is supposed to kick in at 105/106 c and its not doing that which now leads me to think it may be the low speed fan resistor at fault . to replace the fan costs £390 for just the fan + labour costs.. after reading your post i am now reluctant to change the fan as it may not solve the issue... totally at my wits end with the car as no one seems to be able to get to the bottom of this issue . i have checked relays fuses etc any advice on anything else to check ?

kind regards Brandon

1 - 3 of 3 Posts