MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Under the sky
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a question in reverse here - am thinking about fitting the standard wave radio to a car that isn't a MINI. ( I really like its simplicity. I'm a simple sort of chap :p )

Does it sound feasible? I know it's a bit larger than DIN, but does it have weird connectors or anything that would further complicate matters?

Cheers for any advice,
Lee.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
I wouldn't bother as all the connections would be wrong. Adapters are made to say go from BMW/MINI to standard. They ain't going to do an adapter to go from BMW/MINI t say Renault, and thats assuming the connections alone aren't a problem, but the actual software (MINI uses a Bus system and the Radio inks in with it).

And then theres is the shape...

...but WHY!

·
Under the sky
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Damo,

thanks for the quick reply - I guess that's a non-goer then!

The reason is nothing more than the standard radio is really easy to use and clear - every aftermarket radio I find is like something from Star Trek....and they confuse me! :confused: :rolleyes: The radio in the car I'm considering is stone age to say the least!

I've found the Pioneer P77MP which looks pretty simple too. Will investigate that one as it only looks to have two dials on it :D .

Thanks again,
Lee.

·
Lights are on but...
10,330 Posts
Its strange that a lot of the simple to use radios are very expensive, mainly as they're all sound and simpe looks.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
You certainly could do this if you wanted to.
MikeyTheMini sells an adaptor which splits out a 12V feed from the stock HU - you could use this to adapt the HU to have wiring for each pin, then you could buy a not-MINI-to-aftermarket adaptor and join the wires from one to the other.
For security the MINI HU as standard expects iBus data to confirm correct install and to get MFSW codes; but you can reconfigure the HU while it is still in the MINI so that it uses the four digit security code instead (a card will have come with the car). Then it will work in non-MINI with no bus connections needed.

·
What's this button do?
568 Posts
LeeH said:
Hi Damo,

thanks for the quick reply - I guess that's a non-goer then!

The reason is nothing more than the standard radio is really easy to use and clear - every aftermarket radio I find is like something from Star Trek....and they confuse me! :confused: :rolleyes: The radio in the car I'm considering is stone age to say the least!

I've found the Pioneer P77MP which looks pretty simple too. Will investigate that one as it only looks to have two dials on it :D .

Thanks again,
Lee.
For something really out there...
There's a US company called custom autosound that makes vintage-looking radios for classic cars. They even have knobs but use modern internals (and can drive CD-changers, for example). That way it can still look stone-age but work well. My wife has one in a 1968 Pontiac that replaced the AM radio. It sounds good and is compatible with our MP3 player...
-Eric

·
Registered
371 Posts
Sorry guys I think this is a non starter.

Not because of the wiring, that is the easy bit sort there is a lot of info here on the pinout etc. The problem is the security coding. Upon switch on the radio has a conversation with the car to confirm that it is a mini so unless you can override this or simulate it the thing wont fire up. It just says "security" on the panel.

Anyway that is the action of a BOOST unit WAVE units may be different

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
GaryM said:
Sorry guys I think this is a non starter.
The problem is the security coding ...
GaryM,
You need to re-read my post further up:
GBMINI said:
For security the MINI HU as standard expects iBus data ... but you can reconfigure the HU while it is still in the MINI so that it uses the four digit security code instead
I have a radio on my bench which I use irregularly for testing my HKenabler and other iBus circuits - I just have to "key in" the four digit code when I first apply power ...

·
Registered
371 Posts
GBMINI said:
I have a radio on my bench which I use irregularly for testing my HKenabler and other iBus circuits - I just have to "key in" the four digit code when I first apply power ...
Cool,

This was not the case with my BOOST on my first mini, but having said that I did not have any code either so perhaps that was all that was missing. Either way looks like the conversation that goes on over the bus pumps this in for you.

I would really like to know what is under the "electronic" hood these days there must be so much that could be tweaked... One touch windows for drivers and passengers etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,989 Posts
GaryM said:
Cool,
This was not the case with my BOOST on my first mini ...
Actually your original Boost probably *did* have this feature - but you have to go into the "hidden" settings and switch it over from IBUS to CODE security; if set to the normal IBUS mode it will behave just as you describe. Of course the trick is you have to switch it over when it is still in the MINI ;)

GaryM said:
... One touch windows for drivers and passengers etc, etc.
More than one way to skin a cat :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
GBMINI said:
True enough and I was considering designing or implementing just such a circuit for the operation of the roof on my MCC. It is just frustrating when you know that a lot of what you want is there locked in the code and by chance clever observers such as yourselves, ECU mappers etc manage to make sense of it.

I wonder what an open source car would be like? Crashed an burned I guess but it will come as personalization increases.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.