MINI Cooper Forum banner

How reliable would you say your mini is?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Little bit

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Neither here nor there

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Fairly reliable

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Very reliable

Votes: 41 57.7%
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all, I just wanted some feedback on the reliability of the Mini Coopers. I know some of the earlier models may be less than the second generation but I thought I would ask anyway. I've noticed a lot of threads about gearbox problems, rattling noises and a few other minor problems, so I thought I would find out what everyone thinks.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I would recommend that you do a search as there are a ton of threads just like this on the forum.

Same here, no problems.

·
MINI on the brain!!!
1,510 Posts
I've had no problems with my MINI... I've had it for near 2 years and the only thing I've had to do with it is get a new car battery and paid for a service!

·
still learning
1,270 Posts
how do you define reliability ?....................you may have all the usual problems with your cooper, ie rattles, etc but the car is still 100% reliable in the sense that it has never let you down.

I think you need to tweek your poll to gather more accurate data.

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
I may have had the odd 'issue' with my MINIs, but they've always been reliable, and never let me down :)

All issues I should point out have been happily resolved by my MINI dealer :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
First MCS needed its clutch bearings fixing but other than that it was fine.

My current MCS JCW has some minor niggles i.e. a rattle, trim needs fixing down but it does have a new noise coming from the power steering which will be getting looked at under warranty.

So while both my cars have had things wrong with them they haven't been major and not spoilt the driving in any way.

·
oooh ... pagers!
7,799 Posts
usually people don't start threads to say 'still have no problems' ... they only start a thread when they have a problem. so ... basing your guess at reliability on the threads here doesn't account for all the trouble-free minis ...

also, a 'rattle' might be annoying to some, but it's hardly a problem with 'reliability' ... reliability is when things break or go wrong enough you shouldn't/can't use the car.

·
You've just been totalled
6,860 Posts
Well the R56 has over-heated big time in heavy traffic when the fuse in the fan went, and its had an intake solenoid replaced :) Apart from that, it's been great in the last 11 months, no problems whatsoever :)

*touches wood really quickly* :p

·
Totally Insane!
7,800 Posts
I have had my MCS for nearly 3 years and it has been totally reliable in that it has never broken down. Yes I have had my clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty, but this was my choice and certainly not something that would have affected the running of the car. Apart from that just some little rattles and trim issues, but all solved under warranty by the dealer.

As other posters have said, it all depends what each individual owner finds annoying. Plus mist people will only post if there is an issue and not if they have a trouble free car! Also rattles etc are not what I would class as reliability issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I apologise for creating a new thread, but most of the other relaibility threads are close to three years old now, and I thought it might time to check up on how the older mini's are holding up :)

Excuse the vagueness I really just wanted peoples opinion of the overall reliability of their own mini (been studying all day and thought I would take a break and come on here, but my brain is fried) and I mentioned some of the SMALLER problems as an example as I'm not sure of any other common problems. However, it is nice to see that the dealerships cover most of the problems under the warranties. Problem is I am after a second hand one and probably won't be under new car warranty as I look for an 04 or maybe 03 model depending on how much I'm going to spend and would like to know what I'm buying and whether or not it's going to die at 100,000km's or whether I need a new gearbox at 50,000 etc.

And I know this is not a true representation of the mini owners as people usually only come online seeking help for problems etc. but learning about the bad is just as helpful about learning the good.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
My first mini which was an 01 plate cooper had a few major things go on it in the 18 months that i owned it. It had only done 10000 miles aswell!
The drive shaft snapped one friday evening preventing it from moving anywhere.
The windscreen wiper motor broke meaning i couldnt drive in the rain until it was fixed .
I had other minor problems and recalls, but wasnt too bad and everything was sorted under the extended warranty and didnt stop me from buying another 2 minis after.

My second 2006 mini i had no problems with, but i only had it for 6 months and my current 2004 mini i am hoping will not cause me problems, but it will be too early to tell as i have only had it a week so far.

·
MMC Member
14,017 Posts
I apologise for creating a new thread, but most of the other relaibility threads are close to three years old now, and I thought it might time to check up on how the older mini's are holding up :)

Excuse the vagueness I really just wanted peoples opinion of the overall reliability of their own mini (been studying all day and thought I would take a break and come on here, but my brain is fried) and I mentioned some of the SMALLER problems as an example as I'm not sure of any other common problems. However, it is nice to see that the dealerships cover most of the problems under the warranties. Problem is I am after a second hand one and probably won't be under new car warranty as I look for an 04 or maybe 03 model depending on how much I'm going to spend and would like to know what I'm buying and whether or not it's going to die at 100,000km's or whether I need a new gearbox at 50,000 etc.

And I know this is not a true representation of the mini owners as people usually only come online seeking help for problems etc. but learning about the bad is just as helpful about learning the good.

Fair enough... I'm just grumpy because I am moving. ;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
My seven has covered about 21500 miles and has had a lot of work done in the last year/10k.
New engine mount
New third brake light - water inlet
New wheel centres - rust or peeling (common fault)
Work done to drivers seatbelt due to squeaking
In for a new clutch (no I don't drive round town / slip it - I change gear between 2-2500 revs)
Aircon fault - no gas left in system

So not terribly reliable, however, I still love it - nothing handles quite like a mini.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Brought a 54 plate mini last week....

central locking doesnt work
no manual
knocking noise from front - bearings I think
brake stafey light wont turn off - even with the new pads

Its gone back to the dealers for a week BUT

I am now stuck with an AWFUL Renualt MODUS! the steering is way to light, its boxy and dull- EWWWWWWWW

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Brought a 54 plate mini last week....

central locking doesnt work
no manual
knocking noise from front - bearings I think
brake stafey light wont turn off - even with the new pads

Its gone back to the dealers for a week BUT

I am now stuck with an AWFUL Renualt MODUS! the steering is way to light, its boxy and dull- EWWWWWWWW
Sounds as bad as mine. I was told it was a one off - not many go wrong. Still... Did you buy it from a dealer or not. No manual - why?!? I don't know how much one would be from a dealer, but you could ask. Saying that there is a link somewhere on here to a pdf version so you can download it and view on it your computer! Good look finding it - if I come across it again, I'll post it for you.

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
I had a 04 Cooper.

During 11k and 3 yrs of ownership from new it had, in no particular order..

New driveshaft..lets not go there.
rev counter, rattled.
2 windscreen trims
gearbox, whining and still whined when replaced.
rear caliper sticking
steering rack squeaked
seatbelt frayed
drive belt, tensioner, pully.
Headlight didn't level up.

All replaced under warranty :)

and thats what I can remember... I said I'd never have another MINI...

I'll be test driving a Cooper S at the end of August ;)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
The joys of having a car:hmph:
Yeah, but minis should be better than this. I know people who have minis that have NEVER gone wrong - their reliability is as good as their handling. However, not mine - sadly.:(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts