MINI Cooper Forum banner

How reliable would you say your mini is?

• Not at all

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Little bit

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • Neither here nor there

Votes: 10 14.1%
  • Fairly reliable

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Very reliable

Votes: 41 57.7%

Mini Reliability

15K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  M.O.S 
#1 ·
Howdy all, I just wanted some feedback on the reliability of the Mini Coopers. I know some of the earlier models may be less than the second generation but I thought I would ask anyway. I've noticed a lot of threads about gearbox problems, rattling noises and a few other minor problems, so I thought I would find out what everyone thinks.

#7 ·
First MCS needed its clutch bearings fixing but other than that it was fine.

My current MCS JCW has some minor niggles i.e. a rattle, trim needs fixing down but it does have a new noise coming from the power steering which will be getting looked at under warranty.

So while both my cars have had things wrong with them they haven't been major and not spoilt the driving in any way.

#9 ·
usually people don't start threads to say 'still have no problems' ... they only start a thread when they have a problem. so ... basing your guess at reliability on the threads here doesn't account for all the trouble-free minis ...

also, a 'rattle' might be annoying to some, but it's hardly a problem with 'reliability' ... reliability is when things break or go wrong enough you shouldn't/can't use the car.

#11 ·
I have had my MCS for nearly 3 years and it has been totally reliable in that it has never broken down. Yes I have had my clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty, but this was my choice and certainly not something that would have affected the running of the car. Apart from that just some little rattles and trim issues, but all solved under warranty by the dealer.

As other posters have said, it all depends what each individual owner finds annoying. Plus mist people will only post if there is an issue and not if they have a trouble free car! Also rattles etc are not what I would class as reliability issues.

#12 ·
I apologise for creating a new thread, but most of the other relaibility threads are close to three years old now, and I thought it might time to check up on how the older mini's are holding up :)

Excuse the vagueness I really just wanted peoples opinion of the overall reliability of their own mini (been studying all day and thought I would take a break and come on here, but my brain is fried) and I mentioned some of the SMALLER problems as an example as I'm not sure of any other common problems. However, it is nice to see that the dealerships cover most of the problems under the warranties. Problem is I am after a second hand one and probably won't be under new car warranty as I look for an 04 or maybe 03 model depending on how much I'm going to spend and would like to know what I'm buying and whether or not it's going to die at 100,000km's or whether I need a new gearbox at 50,000 etc.

And I know this is not a true representation of the mini owners as people usually only come online seeking help for problems etc. but learning about the bad is just as helpful about learning the good.

#13 ·
My first mini which was an 01 plate cooper had a few major things go on it in the 18 months that i owned it. It had only done 10000 miles aswell!
The drive shaft snapped one friday evening preventing it from moving anywhere.
The windscreen wiper motor broke meaning i couldnt drive in the rain until it was fixed .
I had other minor problems and recalls, but wasnt too bad and everything was sorted under the extended warranty and didnt stop me from buying another 2 minis after.

My second 2006 mini i had no problems with, but i only had it for 6 months and my current 2004 mini i am hoping will not cause me problems, but it will be too early to tell as i have only had it a week so far.

#15 ·
My seven has covered about 21500 miles and has had a lot of work done in the last year/10k.
New engine mount
New third brake light - water inlet
New wheel centres - rust or peeling (common fault)
Work done to drivers seatbelt due to squeaking
In for a new clutch (no I don't drive round town / slip it - I change gear between 2-2500 revs)
Aircon fault - no gas left in system

So not terribly reliable, however, I still love it - nothing handles quite like a mini.

#16 ·
Brought a 54 plate mini last week....

central locking doesnt work
no manual
knocking noise from front - bearings I think
brake stafey light wont turn off - even with the new pads

Its gone back to the dealers for a week BUT

I am now stuck with an AWFUL Renualt MODUS! the steering is way to light, its boxy and dull- EWWWWWWWW

#17 ·
Sounds as bad as mine. I was told it was a one off - not many go wrong. Still... Did you buy it from a dealer or not. No manual - why?!? I don't know how much one would be from a dealer, but you could ask. Saying that there is a link somewhere on here to a pdf version so you can download it and view on it your computer! Good look finding it - if I come across it again, I'll post it for you.

#19 ·
I had a 04 Cooper.

During 11k and 3 yrs of ownership from new it had, in no particular order..

New driveshaft..lets not go there.
rev counter, rattled.
2 windscreen trims
gearbox, whining and still whined when replaced.
rear caliper sticking
steering rack squeaked
seatbelt frayed
drive belt, tensioner, pully.
Headlight didn't level up.

All replaced under warranty :)

and thats what I can remember... I said I'd never have another MINI...

I'll be test driving a Cooper S at the end of August ;)

#22 ·
I know of many people who have had no problems.

Still, there seems to be quite a few of us here with unreliable minis - why don't we set up a group for owners of unreliable minis and see who has had the most trips to the dealer for warranty repairs!:biggrin:

Still, good for you - one reliable mini!!!

#23 ·
I've had my Cooper for 4 months now and not terribly impressed with reliability. I've never had to call the RAC but had/having problems with car going into lymph mode and EML engine light - still ongoing. Airbag light now on. Had to replace exhaust but cant count that!! If it was any other car I would get rid but it's a MINI and I love it!! Just hoping it can get sorted DIY with a little advice from fellow MINI2'ers!
Forgot to mention leaking radiator....

#24 ·
Thats the problem I have - I love it too much to to get rid of it. Still, mine hasn't been that serious. How would you feel about joining a group for owners of unreliable minis only:D.

The only thing is I wouldn't know how to set a group, but still if someone does, why not - it would be a laugh!

#27 ·
My 02 MINI ONE went back for an ABS recall, alternator belt to be tightened and a brake fluid change.

My 06 MINI ONE went back for a oil service and a leaking engine mount (common fault).

My 08 Cooper D has gone back for a 'dodgy ipod connection' (though ive since found out the truth about that), a broken side skirt, and a stop/ but no start issue with the stop/start system, 7 days in the workshop in the first 2 months and 4 loan cars! :rolleyes: The cooling fan sounds ridiculous and comes on whether the car is cold or warm, theres occasionally a hissing noise under the bonnet (air con on or off), the drivers window will some times go back down when being put up (not yet worked that one out?!) :puzzled: Only a couple more weeks and it will be gone! Yay!!

#28 ·
My 02 MINI ONE went back for an ABS recall, alternator belt to be tightened and a brake fluid change.

My 06 MINI ONE went back for a oil service and a leaking engine mount (common fault).

My 08 Cooper D has gone back for a 'dodgy ipod connection' (though ive since found out the truth about that), a broken side skirt, and a stop/ but no start issue, 7 days in the workshop in the first 2 months! :rolleyes: The cooling fan sounds ridiculous and comes on whether the car is cold or warm, theres occasionally a hissing noise under the bonnet (air con on or off), the drivers window will some times go back down when being put up (not yet worked that one out?!) :puzzled: Only a few more days and it will be gone! Yay!!
Why is it going? Is it purely reliability, and if so what are you replacing it with. Buying a diesel mini seems wrong to me. Ive had the engine mount too. I wouldn't recommend the stop start - engine on and off. Think about it like this - when you turn your engine on, most wear occurs at this point, so every time you stop you are wearing your engine out excessively. Ok theres less pollution but your fuel efficiency isnt going to be that difference.

Don't suppose you would know how to set up a group for unreliable minis? Looks like I won't be recommending a dooper to anyone! Stick to petrol - better performance and smells better when you fill it up!

#30 ·
i have an 06 mini one, one of the last 1st gen cars. got 22k on the clock had 2 gear boxes, a clutch, fly wheel, engine mount has gone, problem with the rear axle and a cracked thermostat gauge that caused it to lose coolant.

The repairs didnt cost a penny because i am in warranty but i needed loan cars and because i am 18 the wont insure me, so i had loan car insurance bills of about 120 pounds!

even with all the problems i still love my car :D

#32 ·
i have an 06 mini one, one of the last 1st gen cars. got 22k on the clock had 2 gear boxes, a clutch, fly wheel, engine mount has gone, problem with the rear axle and a cracked thermostat gauge that caused it to lose coolant.

The repairs didnt cost a penny because i am in warranty but i needed loan cars and because i am 18 the wont insure me, so i had loan car insurance bills of about 120 pounds!

even with all the problems i still love my car :D
Oh dear! Thought the gearboxes were only troublesome on 2001 - 2004/5 models? Not good:mad:

#40 ·
Folks, you need to really take a chill pill....

My last MINI was a July 04 (delivery) Cooper Convertible (i.e. one of the first) and if there was a problem related to the cabrio, mine had it :p In the end it had five roof fabrics, two roof mechanisms and countless other issues. But every issue was corrected by my dealer without fuss. The car was collected, a courtesy car was delivered, and the car was returned.

Reliability though, 100% reliable. My MINI never let me down :D .....and I loved her right up to the day we parted company after 3 years and 58,000 miles :D

#41 ·
The problem is when you buy a car which is meant to be tested and reliable, and it isn't you start to get upset. When you are constantly in Mini dealers, the interior no matter how nice is about as desirable as a workmans porta-loo. You can be doing things that are so much better with your time. My dealer won't pick my car up - I live too far away, so I have to drive there, wait and drive back. I love my mini, but I am sick of it playing up. The dealer sort it without fuss, but I think they realise that trying to be clever will not work.

Sadly, this has clouded the experience a bit, but to drive, minis are unbeatable. People get irritated when things go wrong constantly. Ford Fiestas seem to be more reliable - I know of ones doing 50000 miles a year and the only time they see a ford dealer is for a service. Why can't my mini be the same?:confused: My mini hasn't let me down, but has refused to start once or twice - it took several attempts before it would start:angry:. Still, hopefully, the dealer will have it all fixed and I won't have any more problems. I said that the first time it went in, and the time after that...:mad:

#42 ·
Well despite all the faults and horror stories it still seems people think their mini's are reliable. Thanks very much for the feedback, it looks like I might be better off buying a new mini than a second hand one purely for the warranty aspect. But it hasn't swayed my love for these little cars.

#43 ·
Its luck of the draw really, if you do get a used one, you get a years warranty anyway, or if it has more than one year of manufacturers warranty, you get that so buying new may not be the best.

Remember, people only post bad stories - you can solve a problem that isn't there! Go for the best you can afford, a used cooper (e.g. ex demo) will have little mileage, loads of extras, only be a few months old and still have well over 2 years of manufacturers warranty.:D

Good luck with your car either way!;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.