MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi after my recent accident - that was in fact a scary (and genuine) process for me I've made a firm decision to change my car. Affordability is important but the safety features are the most important.

What can the MINI offer in terms of Safety? I guess maybe the different models have different options to offer. I have no particular model in mind, but am looking for the safest car around, within my Budget. I need as much as I can get including side bars, airbags etc. This is not a wind-up question, this is genuine as I'm not familiar with all the features.

Just straight answers are good; I'm non-judgmental and it's not personal ;) just asking for information..thanks. :wink:

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
All MINIs come with the same safety features as standard, regardless of model:

ABS
Cornering Brake Control
Crash Sensor
Disc Brakes
Driver & Front Passenger Airbags
Electronic Braking Distribution
Side Airbags
Three-Point Safety Belts with Pretensioners

In addition, 1st Gen Hatchbacks were available with Head Airbags as an option. These became standard on 2nd Gen.

1st Gen Convertibles have combined Head/Thorax Side Airbags as standard.

1st Gen has a 4 Star Euro NCAP crash test rating, whereas 2nd Gen has a 5 Star.

All modern cars come with side impact beams as standard.

All information that can be found easily by reading a brochure.

Safest car within your budget? Would help if we knew your budget.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All MINIs come with the same safety features as standard, regardless of model:

ABS
Cornering Brake Control
Crash Sensor
Disc Brakes
Driver & Front Passenger Airbags
Electronic Braking Distribution
Side Airbags
Three-Point Safety Belts with Pretensioners

In addition, 1st Gen Hatchbacks were available with Head Airbags as an option. These became standard on 2nd Gen.

1st Gen Convertibles have combined Head/Thorax Side Airbags as standard.

1st Gen has a 4 Star Euro NCAP crash test rating, whereas 2nd Gen has a 5 Star.

All modern cars come with side impact beams as standard.

All information that can be found easily by reading a brochure. Err I don't have a brochure otherwise I'd have read it, and not posted this thread. And besides I thought the MINI'ers would be only too glad to help me... :p

Safest car within your budget? Would help if we knew your budget.
£200 a month.

·
R.I.P MINI2
17,651 Posts
Good job you quoted my entire post, however would anyone know what you were replying to if you hadn't? :p

£200 per month doesn't really help without knowing what sort of deposit you have?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon, I'd just like to concentrate on the safety features and not my personal finances. I can handle my budget; I am just after information on the safety basics, which thankfully you've provided me with. I will make a decision on my finances, once I've got the information together. Thanks and goodnight to you. :)

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Derek Woodman had a deal on a brand new r56 One for £196 a month and £196 deposit... Whether that offer is still on I don't know, but that would be a solution. 5 star crash for £200 a month...

Reactions: ChloeG

·
PowerSteeringPumpActivist
8,410 Posts

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Morning All ;) The main question was the safety aspect. Mentioning budget was in passing. The safety on the MINI seems wonderful...so that to me is a good reason to take a look properly... :biggrin:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Derek Woodman had a deal on a brand new r56 One for £196 a month and £196 deposit... Whether that offer is still on I don't know, but that would be a solution. 5 star crash for £200 a month...
Thanks M.O.S. a proper straight forward answer is so nice! LOL. Wow a new R56 One for £196 a month and £196 deposit - cool!! 5 star crash fro £200 a mnoth...perfect - I'll contact them and see if the offer's still on.

I just need to do another test drive on a MINI, been a whole year since I drove KP's car now; his was awesome with the Cooper S.

Wonder if Derek Woodman has deals similar on the Cooper S's...will ask him that too.. ;)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Martin, how are you hunny!? :) Try to catch up again soon ok?

I watched the first video, especially with much interest. 5 star for Passenger Safety and 3 star for child-safety. I have 1 Tadpole that goes in the back so I'm a bit concerned for her. Otherwise it all looked safe and the front airbags were amazing. Thanks... :wink:

·
MINI One Seven
4,107 Posts
Thanks M.O.S. a proper straight forward answer is so nice! LOL. Wow a new R56 One for £196 a month and £196 deposit - cool!! 5 star crash fro £200 a mnoth...perfect - I'll contact them and see if the offer's still on.

I just need to do another test drive on a MINI, been a whole year since I drove KP's car now; his was awesome with the Cooper S.

Wonder if Derek Woodman has deals similar on the Cooper S's...will ask him that too.. ;)
Its still on;)
MINI Dealer Online Network - MINI One

They had one on the cooper S - I think it was a similar set up, but £270 instead of £196...

3 star for child safety is pretty good...

Reactions: ChloeG

·
Rocking the F57
17,719 Posts
Seems a funny thing to start a thread on when all the information is available so readily on the internet....

MINIs are very safe small cars, but they are still a small car.... The standard crash tests are performed at 40mph into a deformable barrier. The R56 gained five stars for safety, but then so does something huge like a Mercedes ML off roader. If the two were to collide, you'd want to be in the ML without doubt ;)

Just making the point, that safety is relative. The MINI is very safe for a small car, but if the worst were to happen you'd be much better protected in a larger vehicle.

Thus, if safety were your primary concern, perhaps look at other, larger vehicles ;)

·
JcwMiniAdventures
434 Posts
What happened mate - did you right off your corsa?? hope your ok

I personally didnt look into the safety but have seen various pics of people that have posted pic off there branged min's & see the state of them & thought how did the get out of that. So shows that the mini is well built car.

I pay just over £200 a month but did but a large deposit & that was nearlly 2 years ago- your prob at the best time to buy as the delears will prob give you some good deals due to slow car sales

I thought you wanted a mini anyway - depends if you want that size as minicabrio said the larger the car the more safety things they can put in.

See you getting the useall comments on here again

Let me know what you get

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems a funny thing to start a thread on when all the information is available so readily on the internet....

Why is it funny to start a thread when actually this is a MINI site, with enthusiasts who all have a similar passion? Asking fellow members purely for information as I thought they would enjoy sharing it with me. I mean, where else could I ask such a question? Guess there's a few places come to think of it. :nice:

:)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If questions like this are to be discouraged on MINI2 it will become very quiet on here.....................:confused:
You took the words out of my mouth. I mean where else does someone ask about a MINI, other than a MINI site? Internet's fine, but there's nothing like the personal input. :)

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What happened mate - did you right off your corsa?? hope your ok

See you getting the useall comments on here again - NOTHING PHASES ME, life is too short :)

Let me know what you get
I am still trying to decide; the child rating is 3 star for the MINI by NCAP and it was 4 star on the child rating, in another type of car I drove today. Safety is my primary concern; I will certainly look at larger cars and see what's about for the money and yes, with the credit situation I'm in a good position to buy. My Corsa's OK in fact but I'm not ecstatic at the way it handled the head on collision into a verge. LOL - so may as well go for a new car, whatever that may be.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts