MINI Cooper Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if the optional spot lights that are attached to the lower grille are the same the world over. I have two spots on my MCS Chilli but I'm concerned about stones breaking the unprotrected glass & the Australian ones do NOT have the covers available. I was thinking of asking a friend in San fransisco to send some over if there is some certainty that they are all the same. Thanks for your assistance. BTW If I knew how to, I'd post some of my car pics in here which I am absolutely wrapt in, but Computers & technology aren't one of my strongest points.
Michael. :ebblack:

·
Registered
691 Posts
If it's any consolation, I kept the covers on whilst daytime driving the first two months I had the car, and only took them off when I knew I'd be driving hard at night. Then, I just left them off, for two reasons:

1. They're great to flash at people going slow in the fast lane.
2. They've never been chipped or scratched--although I have not done any time on gravel or dirt.

Okay, three reasons:

3. I figure if a deer or a roo hops out in front of me, I'm toast anyway (or at least buying a new grill and hood).

So, my advice is just turn 'em on and leave 'em on. Use 'em or lose 'em.

Have fun, and enjoy the summer.

·
Registered
691 Posts
And, just a sideline, many of the people who have remarked on my Mini have said, "whoa, cool lights, can you get them for my car."

Daytime use does give you that "just robbed a bunch of gold" panache.

·
Themikanic
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mini Spot lights

Hey thanks Justbob for your advice about the lights durability......I guess also without the covers they have a nice icy blue hue even in daytime due to the recent fitment of all the :ebblack: blue vision globes I have that go so well with the Xenons.....Michael

·
Registered
700 Posts
Interesting comments about daytime use of the driving lamps :rolleyes:

Aside from the "panache", daytime use can literally blind oncoming drivers when you fail to turn them off. Driving lamps are very bright, it only takes a second to temporarily "flash" blind someone who is unfortunate enough to be in your beams.

Blinding other drivers can have terribly tragic consequences. And, such use is illegal in many places anyway.

Please, don't confuse "panache" with "criminal neglect", which would be the legal charge if you kill someone who gets blinded by your always-on driving lamps.

Sorry for the rant, but using auxilliary lamps for other than their intended purpose is both dangerous and disrespectful, it's NOT cool. :confused:

·
MINI2 Wannabie
75 Posts
vagt6 said:
Please, don't confuse "panache" with "criminal neglect", which would be the legal charge if you kill someone who gets blinded by your always-on driving lamps.
I don't think they mean to leave their driving lamps turned on during the day, that would mean driving around with main beam on, as there is no aux switch & the lamps are wired direct into the headlamps. They are discussing the relative merits of having the lamps uncovered or not during the day. I personally keep the covers for my lamps in the boot, so I can pop them on if i'm going onto a gravelly surface & save them from being chipped, but keep them off during normal tarmac driving.

I agree that the morons who decide to do 100mph down the M40 with their main beam on (usually a Volvo or BMW) are dangerous, distracting and potentially blinding in their behaviour, and they always get a full blast of my 4 Cibie Tango Lamp Bar & Main Beam, just to let them know they've left their lights on... ;)

Loosemoose

·
Shopping
740 Posts
Loosemoose said:
I

I agree that the morons who decide to do 100mph down the M40 with their main beam on (usually a Volvo or BMW) are dangerous, distracting and potentially blinding in their behaviour, and they always get a full blast of my 4 Cibie Tango Lamp Bar & Main Beam, just to let them know they've left their lights on... ;)

Loosemoose
I agree with your comments.

However in my defense my VW Touareg has xenon lights for main beam and dipped.
If I go over 90mph my lights come on automatically and I know some drivers will think I'm one of these morons but I'm not.

I am always getting a flash people think I've main beam on but I've not so I have to flash back. It just keeps going roound in circles you can not win. ;)

·
I'm Back!
2,590 Posts
Am I right in thinking then that if I have the Driving lights fitted by my dealer(in UK) that they come with covers??..and also they will only come on if I flash someone or have the headlights on full beam and not normal beam?....sorry Im having a confused blonde moment :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
The behavior of the factory accessory driving lamps differs from country to country. In some, they come on automatically with the 'high beams," while in others, they have to be switched on, but will only function when the "high beams" are on. With after market lamps, some countries still require that the lights only work with the high beams on. If you fit fog lamps rather than driving lamps, which I do not believe are a factory option in any country, all bets are off. Fogs should only operate when the low beams are on, which I do not believe can be programmed into the iBus, so the electrics have to be independent of it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Light Covers

Hi Themikanic:

Were you ever able to find those light covers?
Also, have you ever seen those neat logo tyre valve caps? Not sure if they're available in Australia......
:confused:
S.

·
Gûd daedheloth
53 Posts
Another question about them:

In the film The Italian Job, during the car chase scenes, the MINI's always has the driving lamps on.
However, it doesnt seem as they are using the high beams. Why, and how?

Another thing about the movie, why on earth did they use only one MCS and two MC's?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts