MINI Cooper Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just visited the SMMT site to check out sales figures for the Mini. They are as follows

857 registered before September
2,373 registered in September
2,853 registered in October
2,965 registered in November
-----

These figures won't trouble Ford or Vauxhall, but in October and November, the Mini outsold the entire product ranges of such manufacturers as Alfa Romeo, Seat and Volvo.

MINI marketing department predicted sales of 10,000 in the UK this year and 20,000 in a full year. They appear to be well on target.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
It's interesting to see that less than about 10K MINIs have been produced for the UK so far.

I wonder how many export models have been made during this same time? Must be only about half that number, I would guess.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
The MINI took at total of 1.61% of all new cars sold in the UK :) :) :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
BruceK said:
It's interesting to see that less than about 10K MINIs have been produced for the UK so far.

I wonder how many export models have been made during this same time? Must be only about half that number, I would guess.
BruceK, Approx 40,000 MINIs have been build this year from the start of Series production.

·
Moderator & Sponsor
3,758 Posts
InsiderMINI said:

BruceK, Approx 40,000 MINIs have been build this year from the start of Series production.
Wow! I didn't realize it was that many.

But only about one quarter of MINIs made have been registered in the UK? :confused: Three fourths of them exported, or are there quite a few "in process" in the UK - built, but not yet in the hands of owners (e.g. in transit, awaiting dealer prep, etc.)?

Do you know the breakdown between the One and the Cooper?

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
BruceK said:

Wow! I didn't realize it was that many.

But only about one quarter of MINIs made have been registered in the UK? :confused: Three fourths of them exported, or are there quite a few "in process" in the UK - built, but not yet in the hands of owners (e.g. in transit, awaiting dealer prep, etc.)?

Do you know the breakdown between the One and the Cooper?
Thats about 150 cars a day !!!!..........20 cars an hour!!!.... no wonder there's problems with some of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Cooper/One split is in the region of 75%/25%

The actual line speed has been designed up to a rate of 40/hour.

At the end of last year, there were three shifts running - weekdays, week evenings and weekend shift (Fri PM, Sat and Sun).

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
InsiderMINI said:
The Cooper/One split is in the region of 75%/25%

The actual line speed has been designed up to a rate of 40/hour.

At the end of last year, there were three shifts running - weekdays, week evenings and weekend shift (Fri PM, Sat and Sun).
So will the introduction of the S model slow this down a little. ?

40 cars in one hour is simply amazing. I should get my S at about 4:45pm today at that rate !!.

·
Registered
353 Posts
If there are so many why have I only seen about 5 then!!!!:D

·
Registered
546 Posts
Rare Breed

They do seem amazingly rare at the moment. Other than at the dealers, here in Norfolk I've only seen two other MINIs - one red/white Cooper on the A47 east of Norwich and a yellow/white Cooper in Cromer today.

Mind you, after taking it to work on Monday, it looks as though 2 or 3 colleagues will be placing orders.

The amount of attention you get is just incredible for a car at this price level.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Registration figures for December are available - 2,580

This is a little down on November, but the % market share is up to 2.04% - 1 in 50 new cars was a Mini. Mini out-sold the entire Audi range in December.

Total registrations for the year were 11,628 - BMW predicted UK sales this year on launch as 10,000 - so not bad.

Sales traditionally drop a little in December - may be the effect of Christmas or people preferring a 2002 registration. With registration letters/numbers changing every 6 months - is a 2002 registration worth anything these days? There was the "special offer" in December of being added to a draw for a free Mini - though from what I read you had to both order it in December and have it delivered in December - a tall order unless delivery times have dropped enormously.

·
Registered
14 Posts
DECEMBER COMPETITION

I got posted an entry form for the comp. as my mini was registered in December. Ordered in October - only 2 months!

For those that don't know the prize is a refund of your purchase price plus £5000 to a charity of your choice, so that's 5 thou' squid for my local pub to compensate for my lack of beer drinking 'cause I'm to busy driving my MINI!!!

·
Registered
546 Posts
December Draw Competition

My MINI was ordered and delivered in December so I qualify for this competition. The dealer did mention it on the phone but I've never had any paperwork about it. Did the dealers sort it out or does an entry form come from MINI UK some time after delivery?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Ricardo - they are about just not in Norfolk. I traveled from Cromer to London just before Christmas - we saw none in Norfolk (other than the one we were travelling in) and at least 25 on our way into and out of London.

I agree with you though - people still point and mouth the words "that the new MINI", when they are coming the other way.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Registration figures for January are now available

January 2002 - 2,904
December 2001 - 2,580
November 2001 - 2,965
October 2001 - 2,853
September 2001 - 2,373

857 registered before September

Registrations seem relatively consistent at 2,900 a month. This may be imposed by the production rate. I did expect January's total to be a bit higher, but the Christmas holidays may have affected January's supply.

One of the 2,904 January registrations was mine.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
In the local paper last nite that was a piece on my local Dealer & how they have just sold their 100th MINI :D :D

Id like to know where they all are, thats for sure :D :D :D :D :D

·
Wandering....
40,849 Posts
Just FYI, the number of MINIs registered in Ireland in the first three months of 2002 was 129!!!:)

Looks like its gonna be pretty exclusive here.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bristol Mini Sightings

Hmmm, I've noticed in the last month or so that I'm seeing a lot more Mini's around Bristol now. Before I got mine in November, they were very rare so I've put it down to blokes thinking that they might look as good as me if they drive one....and so ordering theirs late last year and getting them in the last couple of months! Of course, MINIUK's clever marketing has probably had a very small part to play too.

It's happened me in the past with clothes and shoes too. It's been hard for me to stay one step ahead of the posse but when you've been doing it all your life, you get used to it!

There are those who lead and those who follow.....

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
Number sold Jan-March 02
Jaguar 7543
Lotus 312
MINI 9623
MG Rover 27,456

;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts